Long distance romantic relationships is a rather new topic of interest within the study of close, intimate relationships as they become increasingly popular in the United States. Experiences in romantic relationships have changed dramatically within the last several decades. Dansie (2012) estimated that 75 percent of indivi...
... middle of paper ...
... maintenance can be accomplished through the use of technology, communication, and various mechanisms and techniques. Long distance romantic relationships are an interesting concept to study of interpersonal communication as it provides unique experiences. Aylor (2003) estimated that up to one third of college students date someone long-distance, it is clear that there is room for further research. It is important to understand more of the relationship maintenance that these relationships face. Also, it is important to note that even with the geographic distance as a disadvantage, many individuals have succeeded in maintaining their relationships. The transition to adulthood may include the need to manage a long distance relationship. With continuing research and the advancement of technology, maintaining these relationships is becoming more natural and manageable.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Intimate relationships are a major topic of interest within the study of communication. The relationships we build with others are a central aspect of our lives. When looking at interpersonal relationships, there are many attributes to consider. Intimate and romantic relationships play a vital role in the social, emotional, and physical abilities of an individual. These relationships offer a sense of belonging, while giving a sense of “mattering” to an individual (Mak & Marshall, 2004). An individual can suffer when they lack interpersonal relationships as these relationships can be associated with many health factors.... [tags: Communication, Interpersonal relationship]
1499 words (4.3 pages)
- Intimate Relationship Introduction The intimate relationship between couples is influenced by a lot of factors which are very important for its long existence. These factors include; theoretical framework, personality and personality history, attraction and mate selection, men and women, gay and straight, communicating closeness, beliefs, and values, improving relationships, managing differences among others (Bradbury & Karney, 2010). This article will pick two concepts about couple dynamics and use at least two sub-concepts to enhance the reader ability to understand (Bradbury & Karney, 2010).... [tags: Psychology, Interpersonal relationship]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- Part of being human is the prospect of intimate relationships with those that we come in contact with. Each one of us has a mixture of feelings towards those that we 're intimate with and learning to tolerate ambivalence is an essential part of the process of growing up. One person that I have strong conflicting feelings towards is my girlfriend of three years, Kourtney Milling. These ambivalent feelings are not from a lack of love, but from the everyday struggles that come with this intimate of a relationship with another human being.... [tags: Psychology, Interpersonal relationship, Emotion]
910 words (2.6 pages)
- One of the greatest philosophers, Aristotle said “Man is by a nature a social animal.” I totally agree with his words because people would not be able to survive without human contact. I cannot imagine myself living on a desert island for the rest of my life. Even if I may be able to find or create food and shelter, I would not be able to create any creature whom I can share emotions with unless I am God. Since born, each of us has been surrounded by special societies and cultures which grow bigger, wider, and deeper as time pass by, affecting who we are all now.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Personality psychology]
1977 words (5.6 pages)
- Objective- Explain basic sociological concepts of the family, marriage, and intimate relationships (Pages 364-367). Sociologists view the family as a universal institution that is central to social life (Powell and Branden 2007). The family is defined as a group of people related by descent, marriage, or adoption (pg 365). Marriage plays a pivotal role in families, marriage is the socially acknowledged and approved and often legal union of two people, allowing them to live together and to have children by birth or adoption (pg 365).... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Family, Love]
1136 words (3.2 pages)
The Reasons Behind Failures Of Intimate Relationships Between Couples And The Breakup Of A Loving Relationship
- Psychological research suggests that the emotional reaction to the breakup of a loving relationship intensely look like effects to what would appear to be more disturbing sufferers, like the demise of a precious one or the analysis of a critical disease. Almost all of us go through the hurt of a relationship breakup at certain point in life. Several individuals are required to survive from a relationship breakup and there is always a first time. During our youth years, most of us go through our first time relationship and when it breaks up its very delicate.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Love, Romance]
1875 words (5.4 pages)
- During our lifetime, many relationships are formed with family, friends, and significant others. These relationships are key to forming friends, work bonds and intimate connections with others. Family, friends and intimate relationships are necessary for everyday life, below I am going to discuss interpersonal relationships with each and challenges that may come. Family is an extremely important relationship connection that should always be strong. Family will always be there to support you emotional and physical through any circumstances.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Friendship]
1105 words (3.2 pages)
- Tackling an Intimate Relationship To nurture means to look after, to watch grow. To nurture a relationship simply means to be involved with, to care for. An intimate relationship includes the people you share hugs and kisses with- the people you call family, the ones you hang out with, the ones you share your secrets with, the ones you introduce as your partner the ones you cherish. To encourage a relationship, you must tend to it. In order to nurture a dearest relation, you must socialize; whether it be something as small as watching a movie with your family, or as big as going out dancing with your friends.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Intimate relationship]
978 words (2.8 pages)
- I chose to do my research paper on Intimacy and Distance in Relational Communication because I wanted to learn how communication is used when you are in an intimate relationship. The question I ask is “How does communication affect being in an intimate relationship?”. In the book it states that “People who report having satisfying intimate relationships have higher self-esteem, a stronger sense of identity, and greater feelings of control over their lives than those without close relationships.” (Looking Out, Looking In, Pg.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Intimate relationship]
1940 words (5.5 pages)
- Interpersonal relationships Interpersonal relationship is a bond between two people. Having one thing in common brings people together. Attraction brings a very strong interpersonal relationship. There are many types of interpersonal relationship that helps us achieve a common goal. This can help us in the aspect of working together on the same team. In the aspect of the marriage relationship between man and a woman is very important due to love and marriage. The interpersonal relationship extends to the relationship between a child and a parent, relationship between friends and also the relationship between immediate family members.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Love]
850 words (2.4 pages)
- Cost, Proximity Or Other Resources Is Called Food Security
- The Issue Of Transgender Orientation
- The Clarity And Research Of Psychology By Laying Out Three Different Forms Of Research
- My Favorite Lesson Based Around Compassion
- The Lie Is An Old Moral Topic
- Personal Reflection On Counseling Psychology