“a global leader in unified communications (UC) solutions with industry-leading telepresence, video, voice and Polycom UC Intelligent Core™ infrastructure solutions—all built on open standards. Polycom's vision and strategy is to enable UC Everywhere—allowing people to communicate and collaborate anywhere on multiple devices” (Polycom Corporate, 2011).
Clearly Polycom’s success does not just stem from quality products and services, but also from the employees who are in the trenches every day; creating new products, increasing productivity, maintaining and increasing customer satisfaction, excellent customer service, etc. Foresight, innovation, and strategic planning are a daily routine to keep the company a successful competitor in the market. It is without a doubt that Polycom needs qualified leadership. High caliber leadership/management is vital to successfully run a global enterprise of this statute. Constant re-organization and product structure changes are necessary to adapt to current and future consumer demands. I interviewed one of the leading managers at Polycom to find out what it takes to keep the machine rolling and what the typical duties of a manager entail.
“Every minute is different from the next. The agenda of the day is dictated by what is happening in each specific moment of the day” states Scott Eshelman, Director of Services at Polycom, Inc., when asked what a typical day of manager looks like (2011). General duties include daily meetings with customers, support technicians, engineers, etc. to get ...
... middle of paper ...
...which aspect he enjoyed most about his position. With a big smile on his face he responded, “I am addicted to the chaos. It is an ever changing environment. You have to think on your feet, be quick. It is always fast, go, go, go. Are we there yet?” (Eshelman, 2011).
About Us-Corporate, 2011
2011, Management Skill Levels 1, 2, 3
10 Must Have Management Skills
By Duncan Brodie 2007
The Importance of Effective Communication, page 1, n.d.
Effective Communication in the Workplace, BOMI international, 2011
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I have to admit when I first got word of this assignment I was very eager to run out and interview President Obama. However, as the semester went on and speakers came into talk, my views changed. I decided that I wanted to interview someone in a position that I would like to be in one day. I contacted the General Manager of the Lowell Spinner's and the Pawtucket Redsox's, believing that a job like that would not completely be out of reach someday. Once again I changed my mind after listening to speech.... [tags: Interview Essays]
437 words (1.2 pages)
- Since 1901, Walgreens has had a strong passion for customer service. The founder, Charles Walgreens, goal was to create a drugstore that was like no other. He said that for as many drugstores as he had worked at, he had never worked for one that had a focus for good customer service and low prices. Walgreens has grown by leaps and bounds since 1901 and is now recognized as the leader in the market with over 7000 stores. Charles Walgreen had an eye for good managers. He said he was able to pick people that he knew were smarter than him so to promote them and make them the heads of his drugstores.... [tags: business interviews, career interview]
1872 words (5.3 pages)
- Work of the Manager in Practice and Theoretical Explanations Introduction "Manager is someone who works with and through other people by coordinating their work activities in order to accomplish organisational goals" (Robbins et al 2006, p8). Management is the process of coordinating and harmonizing people and activities towards achieving a goal efficiently and effectively (Robbins et al 2006). This project is mainly focus on the research that I did by interviewing a manager. It is analysis of jobs perform by a modern manager comparing to the theoretical aspects of management.... [tags: Business Management Manager]
1437 words (4.1 pages)
- How well a business manages its assets and resources predicates its overall success. Companies that spend financial resources foolishly are apt to find themselves in bankruptcy. Companies that work capital equipment resources beyond the machine’s capabilities or for other than intended purposes are apt to experience downtime and/or lose the equipment to failure. The same premise holds true for a company’s human assets. However, unlike other company assets, which depreciate over time, human assets appreciate over time when managed properly.... [tags: Interview Essays]
1933 words (5.5 pages)
- This company is partnership ran business that opened its doors in 1991, in the small town of Marengo, IL. Mark Anderson and Sam Accib are the proud founders of this HVAC and plumbing business for residential or commercial. The company was unable to give an annul report, due to the fact that it is a small business, and it not necessary in their company. The promotional practices used throughout the years have been ads in the Northwest Herald (three to five times a year), the Marengo Paper, and the most important one is the word of mouth apportion.... [tags: Career Interview]
967 words (2.8 pages)
- I often wondered what a typical day was like for the leadership team of the multibillion dollar company American Family Insurance. I got my chance to learn about this while interviewing Chad Cerkoney, the director of risk management. American Family Insurance with its corporate office in Madison, WI. It currently operates in 19 states mainly across the Midwest with insurance products in life, health, business, and personal property. Chad has been working for American Family for over 30 years and has held positions such as Insurance Agent, Workforce Manager, Actuary, and now Risk Management Director.... [tags: Interview Essay]
1254 words (3.6 pages)
- ... It has also recently invested in a tidal electricity generation project (Nova Energy, 2014). Russell's position within the business is one of the top tiers of management within the company, he is a part of a team of five other managers and then he himself manages another management team of six, that run the Retail and Operations sector of Nova Energy. Findings Great responsibilities come with the role of National Retail Fields Operations Manager, it requires skills such as communication and leadership to move through day to day tasks.... [tags: skills, leadership, communication]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- IntroductionAccording to Muenjohn, Boucher and Tran 2010, ‘Leadership is theability to inspire confidence and support among the people who needed to achieve organizational goals.’ In this module, we learn the differences between what makes a leader and a manager. And the purposeof this assessment is to do a reflection on an analysis of anotherleader for my leadership improvement by applying the relevant theoriesand concepts learned in this module.Task One: ObservationThe person that I have chosen to do this report on is a leader in avoluntary organisation whom I have worked with.... [tags: Business Managment]
1239 words (3.5 pages)
- Writing is an essential activity in many jobs and services all over the world including the construction management field. Since grade school teachers have stressed to us the importance of writing. Most teachers will stress just how important it is to know how to write because, we will be writing for our future professions. In relation, some professions call for much more writing than other jobs and some jobs involve very little writing. Construction managers are in the category of those who have less to write than people on other jobs.... [tags: management field, building, house]
970 words (2.8 pages)
- Belton Industries, Inc. Manufacturer of Toys and Bicycles Selecting Soles Personnel Albert Thompson, general sales manager for Belton Industries, Inc., faced a problem or high turnover of sales personnel. He was led to believe that some¬thing was wrong with the selection process and that the selection procedure should be evaluated. Belton manufactured a wide tine of children's toys and bicycles. Its sales organization consisted of 110 salespeople operating out of seventeen branch sales offices.... [tags: Recruitment Business Employees]
1126 words (3.2 pages)