During the course of time, I’ve learned many useful things that have led me to be the person I want to be today. From college classes to work experiences, I now have the ability to exceed upon internship experiences that can shape my perspective on life. The purpose of this paper is to summarize, reflect, analyze, and synthesize on my internship experience at the Children’s Home of Reading-Acute Partial Hospitalization Program.
The Children’s Home of Reading was originally called Home for Friendless Children which was established in 1884. In the beginning, it was a day nursery for working mothers. By 1947, the name was officially changed to the Children’s Home of Reading to better describe its atmosphere and purpose. By 1955, the Children’s Home of Reading began its expansion beyond temporary shelter and care to acute problems. In the 60s and 70s, the facility offered treatment oriented care rather than custodial care. This is where the idea from alternative care rather than hospitalization care came into place. In 1974, the Board of Directors expanded to accommodate more children suffering from serious problems including abuse, neglect, trauma, and drug abuse. Today, the facility stands by its mission statement which is “caring for the needs of children and families in crisis and preparing them for success in life”.
The Children’s Home of Reading is a leading provider of counseling, treatment, and education to children and families in crisis. These programs can be broken up into residential treatment, academic school, and community based facilities. My internship was with the community based program, it was called the Acute Partial Hospitalization Program. In this program, I dealt with children ages 5-12 y...
... middle of paper ...
...ern, I understood that my internship experience helped cultivate my understanding of the differences in age, mentality, and the environment each child is exposed to that leads them to develop these moderate to profound acute psychiatric disorders. I also established that working in a school setting like the Children’s Home of Reading-Acute Partial Hospitalization Program was not the place for me. The reason for this was because I felt it was unfair to each child to not be able to get the clear, cut attention they deserve. For my next internship, what I’ve decided to do differently is to engage and interact more with my next Supervisor. In this internship, I did not have the opportunity to get to personally know my Supervisor because she was in meetings and/or intakes on existing or new clients etc. All I can do now is look forward to new experiences, new internships.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I had many responsibilities and duties as a teacher assistant/chaperone. Such as arriving at the assigned school for bus and student pick-up at 8:00 a.m. assisting teachers and counselors with Daily Opening Activity, with Math and Reading as well as Arts/Folklore classes. Escorting students to and from the bathroom. Supervising students during breakfast and lunch and assisting with clean up. Being responsible for picking up and returning materials to the GEAR UP office. Attending weekly Staff and Team meetings to discuss the past week and plan for the weeks ahead.... [tags: essays research papers]
955 words (2.7 pages)
- ... The teachers in both programs receive staff education and specialized training. They both have variables that are consistent with a quality program. However, for my final internship I believe the best program for me is Naples Christian Academy. Naples Christian Academy serves children from pre-k 3 through 8th grade. NCA is a Blue Ribbon School. They received this award in 2007. The Blue Ribbon School Award is the highest award granted by the Department of Education. NCA is ACSI and SACs accredited.... [tags: internship, teacher, child]
717 words (2 pages)
- Education serves both a political and economic need for society. Education is a social institution best known for teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic, but it can also teaches other things such as morals, values, ethics and even politics. Maybe one of the most important goals is for education to teach socialization and prepare young people to successfully enter into society. The goals of education are achieved through trained teachers and a diverse educational curriculum. For the purpose of this report the main focus is on the Lottery Funded Georgia Pre k System where I completed my internship.... [tags: Sociology, Education, Structural functionalism]
2991 words (8.5 pages)
- When I was a kid I wanted to be a cricketer or an astronaut. An unusually high backlift contributed to the demise of my juvenile cricketing career. (I still harbor hopes of being a part-time astronaut). I withdrew to a life of reading. A sense of the wider world gradually imprinted itself upon me. In my adolescence I turned, I now realize, an idealist. Perhaps that explains my trying to start an unmanned Honesty Cafe (I lost my investment ) and actually trying to sell my angsty, somewhat dubious poetry (with surprising success).... [tags: personal experience, power to inform]
893 words (2.6 pages)
- After working with multiple campaigns this summer, my personal and professional growth in the field of political science has increased significantly. The opportunities that have come to fruition through my time and commitment to these individuals running for political office have changed my outlook on the political process. It takes a lot of groundwork to efficiently connect with voters, even in a state that is perceived to vote in one direction. After researching multiple perspectives and salient points, it is clear that there is no substitute for the internship experience when it comes to first hand knowledge of any type of work.... [tags: Employment, Intern, Internship]
2368 words (6.8 pages)
- How long have you been caring for children, and how old were they. I have been babysitting since I was 14 years old. I started nannying on a regular bases when I was 17. I am now 20 years of age. The children that I cared for ranged between 3 months old-13 years of age. What is your favorite age to care for and why. Honestly I do not have a strong prefernece. I have had great experiences working with children at all ages. I do find that I have a lot of fun with younger children because they are extremely playful and soft hearted.... [tags: Childcare, Day care, Childhood, Babysitting]
1648 words (4.7 pages)
- Introduction It can be assumed that every parent knows reading to their child is important. Most pediatricians suggest reading early in a child’s life. In a more technological world, children aren’t being read to anymore. For parents, it’s important to know exactly why childhood reading is important because it might determine their child’s future. Search Story As so happens often, unexpected challenges arose during my high school career: I gave birth to my daughter near the end of my sophomore year.... [tags: Childhood, Child, Reading, Parent]
1039 words (3 pages)
- Significant studies have been instrumented to delve in mental development correlated in reading skills that construct children’s early reading achievement. These researches present plausible data of an important aspect of letter sound and phonological awareness. Whilst, the findings appears to point that synthetic phonics teach students better in word reading, spelling, and reading comprehension. In the case of synthetic phonics approach revealed a child develops the knowledge how to pronounce unknown printed words by sounding them out and blending the letters.... [tags: Phonics, Reading, Orthography, Reading]
1600 words (4.6 pages)
- This summer I was offered an internship for Merrill Lynch in my hometown of Towson, Maryland. For eight weeks, I worked five days a week for an average of thirty hours. There are numerous Merrill Lynch offices in the Baltimore and Washington D.C. area. Offices in Annapolis and Baltimore are greater in numbers and advisors. The Towson region only has about fifteen advisors and four client assistants. However, almost all of those advisors started their careers in Baltimore. The Towson office was for more established advisors who already have a distinguished client list.... [tags: Personal Narrative Descriptive Internship]
1771 words (5.1 pages)
- Those around me would describe me as curious, inquisitive: a lifetime learner. Reading any book I can get my hands on, eyes bleary from late night blog skimming, fingers stained from newspaper print, and eavesdropping on everyday conversation, I am someone who appreciates several tangled avenues of obtaining information and learning. I would say that I am “just plain nosy.” My first steps along these avenues went well beyond the normal curiosity children exhibit concerning the world surrounding them, because growing up as an African American female in a working class household increased the intensity of my questions.... [tags: Personal Experience]
838 words (2.4 pages)