Norbert Wiener invented the field of Cybernetics. He Inspired future researchers to focus on the use of technology to extend human capabilities. In 1956, the Dartmouth Artificial Intelligence conference solidified the concept that technology was improving at a rapid rate, and provided consideration of the consequences. Marshall McLuhan made the idea of a global village interconnected by an electronic nervous system part of our popular culture (Stewart, 2000).
The Internet itself got started in the early 1960s. J.C.R. Licklider had the brilliant idea to link computers across the world, where anybody near a computer could share information. This idea landed Licklider a position as a director of a government agency that is responsible for creating a time-sharing network of computers known as ARPANET, which is also the precursor to today’s Internet. In 1983, Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf developed the TCP/IP protocols that would allow the networks to communicate with each other (Palermo, Cox,2014).
According to Deans (2012), there are faster broadband speeds. The average fixed broadband was expected to increase from 9 megabits per second in 2011 to 34 Mbps by 2016. An increasing number of devices such as tablets, mobile phones have contributed to the grow...
... middle of paper ...
...blr is such a user-friendly site, anyone who wants a tumblr, can have a tumblr. Tumblr can be thought of as an online diary so many people chose to use it to post items that interest them. There are blogs that are dedicated to almost any topic that you can think of. Now matter what your interest may be, there is a tumblr blog for it. Tumblr is especially useful for small business owners who want to be on the internet but may not know how to create a traditional web page. Also, many larger companies such as Ann Taylor and Sephora use tumblr to promote their products to a wider audience base. In ten or even twenty years I am not quite sure where the web will be. I believe the World Wide Web will grow in dimensions, and provide more information rather than just information and communication. Each and every object in the world will be up with digital possibility.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Have you realized that the Internet is now the most successful and continuous growing daily used mass medium. The Internet’s growth has given the ability for the masses thought the whole world to chime in on various topics from social issues, to political shenanigans, affecting countries all over the globe today. The Internet has also allowed for an unpresented amount businesses to grow and expand, which might have never grown otherwise, given its ability to reach a limitless amount of individuals anywhere and everywhere.... [tags: World Wide Web, Internet, Tim Berners-Lee]
2164 words (6.2 pages)
- The Internet. As of today, every facet of human life is heavily influenced by information obtained via information technologies. The Internet, like an uncharted wilderness, promises vast resources, knowledge and the space to create offer methods of communications. It should be accessible to all. It allows for communication to reach around the world, it keeps individuals entertain. Has the capability to solve conflict easy and quick. By using the internet, individuals may obtain the news, research, inventions, and innovations from almost any electrical device.... [tags: World Wide Web, Internet, Computer, Website]
1144 words (3.3 pages)
- The year was 2001 and my family got its first home computer and the internet. I was 7 years old and I remember being excited and curious about this mystery known as the World Wide Web. Now I’m 21 years old and have had my fair share of internet access that has been both positive and negative in my life, as research shows is the case for the majority of Americans. It is not possible to paint the internet in simply a negative or positive way as it can easily be viewed in both. The internet is filled with endless possibilities, and as a form of Mass Media it is in a class entirely its own.... [tags: Internet, World Wide Web, History of the Internet]
1218 words (3.5 pages)
- The World Wide Web is censored in order to control the availability to illegal or deceitful information citizens have. Even though Internet and Web are thrown around interchangeably in many situations, there is a difference to distinguish between them. The Internet is a massive network of networks exchanging information together, which links computers together globally. The web is a way of accessing the information available on the Internet through the correct software ("CHM Revolution"). Depending on the country, censorship can be developed into different levels of security.... [tags: World Wide Web, Internet, Internet censorship]
1113 words (3.2 pages)
- Internet as a medium has been a thoroughly discussed topic, especially in recent years with the rise of the World Wide Web. Analysis of relevant literature in the topic shows that the internet is not a new medium. This argument can be shown by looking more in depth into what defines a medium and what defines the internet. From that analysis by looking from a historical point of view the internet can be seen as an old medium which uses re-mediation to deliver content to users. The connection between internet and its users has helped the internet influence the way media is viewed today.... [tags: Information Technology]
1109 words (3.2 pages)
- A medium is defined as “a means by which something is communicated or expressed”1. Although many mediums exist in the present world, such as newspapers and television, the most revolutionary and popular would be the internet which first became publicly available in 19912. The discovery of the internet, and its subsequent adoption by society was unexpected and could not have been anticipated. The internet is comprised of many different things, but for the purpose of clarity and simplicity, it specifically consists of the world wide web and all applications that require connectivity.... [tags: World Wide Web, History of the Internet, YouTube]
1457 words (4.2 pages)
- The internet, a new medium of communication that allows us to communicate over large distances with an impressive outcome, the internet has improved long distance communication with its ever growing means of communicating. In this essay I will elaborate on my understanding on the internet as a new medium of communication, I will also state relevant theories and examples to back up my result. “The paradigm of the new mode of communication and clearly the emerging infrastructure for the hypermedia environment is networked computing, and in particular, the loose conglomeration of worldwide net worked computer known as the internet” (deibert, p.131).... [tags: Internet Communication]
1913 words (5.5 pages)
- History of the Internet: Modern Media Definition The internet is defined by dictionary.com as the global communication network that allows almost all computers worldwide to connect and exchange information. When two computers are connected over the Internet, they can send and receive all kinds of information such as text, graphics, voice, video, and computer programs.1 Background The Internet has changed the entire complexity of the computer and communications world like nothing before. The inventions of different forms of technology like the telegraph, telephone, radio, and computer set the stage for this revolutionary advancement.... [tags: Internet, World Wide Web, Streaming media]
1394 words (4 pages)
- When the internet evolved into the World Wide Web, there was a massive change in the way most people communicated in their interpersonal relationships. Not only were people beginning to use the internet as a way to communicate with interpersonal relationships that already existed but being a part of the World Wide Web gave many the opportunity to create new interpersonal friendships with the simple use of certain socializing websites that were created and multiplied in the last couple decades. While the internet is incredible for giving the opportunity for this type of communication and conversation, so are people for being able to find ways to communicate through this medium properly withou... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Friendship]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- Using the Internet as a Medium for Art “ This is my space, this is my world. I can express how I feel and what I believe, it’s a different type of freedom.”(1) This quote could speak of so many places in a creative world; a university, a gallery, a bedroom, a studio, and so many others that people commonly associate with artistic space however it refers to none of these and all of these at once. I am talking about the web. The web is a new space and like all technology pushed to its limits by artists.... [tags: Computers Technology Web Essays]
1547 words (4.4 pages)