In addition to the individuals that use their wealth and influence to attempt to save the environment, there are also many individuals and organizations on the other side of the issue. These individuals and organizations are not necessarily anti-environment rather they are those who have a large stake in industries like manufacturing and fossil fuel energy or those who feel that the high initial cost of changing existing infrastructure and researching new technologies are not worth the eventual gains for the environment.
Jeremy Grantham is the founder and chief investment strategist at Grantham Mayo van Otterloo, an asset management fund that manages $106bn a year for approximately 1,000 clients. He is also a founder, along with his children, of Grant...
... middle of paper ...
... May 5, 2014, from http://www.unfoundation.org/what-we-do/issues/energy-and-climate/tackling-global-climate-challenge.html
Ted Turner. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.tedturner.com/foundations/
The Captain Planet Foundation. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://captainplanetfoundation.org/
Turner Endangered Species Fund. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.tesf.org/
United Nations Foundation - Connecting You with the United Nations. (n.d.). United Nations Foundation. Retrieved May 5, 2014, from http://www.unfoundation.org/
Wile, R. (2012, July 30). Everyone’s Talking About The Koch Brothers-Funded Study That Proves Climate Change Is Real Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/koch-brothers-funded-study-proves-climate-change-2012-7#ixzz30ssBeLyg. Business Insider. Retrieved from http://www.businessinsider.com/koch-brothers-funded-study-proves-climate-change-2012-7#!I8rla
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- This study explores the disclosure of carbon emissions and climate change-related information by businesses in China. 1. Background Climate change is one of the most important international issues and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) sets an overall framework for intergovernmental efforts to tackle the challenges posed by climate change (Guidance on how to measure and report your greenhouse gas emissions, 2009).With the increasing awareness of the severity of climate change, the reduction of CO2 emissions has become a predominant topic.... [tags: Climate Change Information Disclosure]
3051 words (8.7 pages)
- ... Without this layer of gases the Earth would be too cold to be inhabited, perhaps 20 degrees cooler than now. But, then amount of gases in this layer must remain constant. Even a slight increase could have drastic results. Many people believe that a one degree increase in the temperature will not cause much harm. The truth is with every degree of increase in temperature a 100 more wildlife species are put in danger of extinction. Numerous experiments and studies prove that an increased level of greenhouse gases, mainly carbon dioxide, is causing climate change and causing it fast.... [tags: causes, effects, international panels]
870 words (2.5 pages)
- Global climate change has been an important point of discussion for several years. People often associate climate change with global activities such as burning fossil fuels, pollution, glacier melting, and various other greenhouse gasses. According to Discourses of climate security, “global climate change has become a security issue in contemporary global politics (McDonald, 42-51)”. This article explains different discourses of climate security argued by lobbyist, environmental advocates, and academic analyst.... [tags: threat, security, humans]
568 words (1.6 pages)
- Climate change may be defined as a change in global or regional climate patterns. Jones (1986) first identified climate change in 1986. He confirmed that the climate has been changing since the early days of industrialisation. The issue of climate change is important due to the devastating effect it may have on people’s lives. Adaptation to climate change is highly crucial to survive therefore, its unpredictability is fatal. However, there are claims that climate change is a myth, which mostly is from multi-national companies that are highly dependent on fossil fuels, meaning that they are to blame for climate change.... [tags: Greenhouse gas, Carbon dioxide, Global warming]
1424 words (4.1 pages)
- The mass media plays an enormous role in influencing the public. In the age of globalization many technologies like Internet, television, newspapers, magazines, radio and so on, make news available and accessible for everyone around the world. The media can easily get any information out there to the public regarding any subject such as political views, health issues, entertainment, education, human tragedies…and those information do have an impact on our everyday life decisions, opinions and raise our awareness on a subject.... [tags: Global Warming Essays]
1742 words (5 pages)
- One of the most relevant ethical and legal framework from what we gathered are Fair Trade and the EU’s CAP (Common Agriculture Policy). Firstly, Fairtrade will be discussed and then the CAP. Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International (FLO) is an organization which promotes fair trade. It focuses on improving lives of producers in undeveloped countries in a sustainable way. According to the official website of FLO, the first Fairtrade labelled product was coffee from Mexico, which was sold in Dutch supermarket in 1988.... [tags: fair trade, underdeveloped country]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- Once an uncommon term used only by scientists and climatologists, the notion of Global warming today is commonly heard but very misunderstood. One might ask, what exactly is global warming and should we care. According to "What is Global Warming?" in LiveScience, global warming is a gradual increase in the temperature of Earth's surface and atmosphere, that has become a world-wide environmental issue.1(Lallanilla,2013) Similarly, this topic is one of great controversy because of widely differing opinions on current global warming rates and the impact by humans.This suggested anthropogenic activity creates carbon dioxide, methane, and other gases that are released by the burning of tropical f... [tags: Global Warming Essays]
1645 words (4.7 pages)
- ... Payne (2013) defines power as “the ability to get others – individuals, groups, or nations – to behave in ways that they would ordinarily try to avoid” (p. 25). By this definition, the fact that Turkey accepted loans from the IMF to begin with is a demonstration of the immense power of the organization. Turkey, as a state, was undoubtedly aware of the conditions attached to IMF loans, and likely would have preferred not to receive said loans, but the situation became desperate enough that options were limited.... [tags: International relations, United Nations]
1605 words (4.6 pages)
- Woodrow Wilson was the 28th President of the United States and held the office from 1913-1921. He became known as “the Crusader” due to his foreign policy theory that America should be a beacon of liberty and aggressively pursue the spread of democracy throughout the world. His policy would enable America to prosper economically and develop an international security community through the promotion of democracy in other nations. While former Secretary of State Kissinger writes in his book Diplomacy that 20th century American foreign policy has been driven by Wilsonian idealism, an analysis of 21st century US foreign policy reveals that, in fact, US foreign policy has been influenced by ideals... [tags: International relations, United Nations]
920 words (2.6 pages)
- International business contains all business transactions private and governmental, sales, investments, logistics, and transportation that happen between two or more regions, nations and countries beyond their political limits. Generally, private companies undertake such transactions for profit governments undertake them for profit and for political reasons. It refers to all those business activities which involve cross border transactions of goods, services, resources between two or more nations.... [tags: international production, companies]
1562 words (4.5 pages)