The internship that I acquired during the summer of 2010 at the Greenwood Sports and Industrial Rehabilitation Center (GSIRC), allowed me to gain an immeasurable amount of experience during my tenure at this facility. Within this period, the exposure to new concepts within the physical therapy industry allowed me to observe and work hands on with patients of all ages and disabilities that exposed me to various treatment plans and programs to restore client’s mobility. The essential Physical Education and Exercise Science (PEES) courses taken at Lander University were beneficial to my academic knowledgebase, which prepared me and developed me for the opportunity within the physical therapy discipline. Working as an intern taught me the responsibility of time management and working within a lean schedule that allow me to further develop my skill set. This reflection paper will illustrate my classroom experience, internship experience, and learning experience.
The GSIRC highly encourage hands on experience for student interns. In order to have a sympathetic notion on what to do as an intern, the PEES courses taken previous semesters were remarkably accommodating when assisting the clients through rehabilitating workouts. In order to understand which anatomical part the patient is rehabilitating, anatomy and physiology were one of the vital subjects to be acquainted with. Having the understanding of the anatomy terms helped me, as an intern, to understand majority of the diagnosis shown on the patients’ charts. As the patients goes through their exercises it were also essential to understand the movements of each exercise such as abduction with external rotation or knee flexion. The course that corre...
... middle of paper ...
...e to work at the Greenwood Sports and Industrial Rehabilitation Center helped me strengthen my communication skills along with learning skills.
Being able to have worked with numerous patient with a variety of diagnosis help me learn more about how to time manage and develop communication skill. Learning hands on was a great experience to gather information from patients and the physical therapist (PT)/ Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA). When assisting patients through their workout, I was able analyze man of the muscle that were be used and became more focus on the form and movement. Watching the PT and PTA come up with exercises of their own shows the there have to be a lot creative thinking which I have gained along the way. For the first time I actually experience the use of resistance bands and how effective they are compare to free weights and machines.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As I continue exploring the aspects of Family Inc., I find myself becoming more amazed at the tragedies that occur in the lives of juveniles. Society is always pointing the finger at the children, blaming them and punishing their negative actions. With a deeper look at the family system behind these children, I have found an empathy for the delinquent children. The organization is not only for delinquent children, but it is thought that children with incarcerated parents have a higher risk of going into the prison system.... [tags: Reflection Paper, criminal justice system]
1062 words (3 pages)
- An Intern’s Dilemma Working well with others, especially those in a position of authority is a sought after characteristic for employers. However, disrupting the stagnant norm for good reason is essential for community and business growth, particularly when it concerns ethics. Leaders are created by the hard decisions they make that develops influence over others, regardless of the delegation of power. Describe what Mark Identified as being unethical. Mark was asked by the Asia office executives of a technology company, he desired to intern for, to conduct a project of gathering information on competitors in his area.... [tags: Ethics, Business ethics, Applied ethics, Morality]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Video Interview and Reflection Paper This paper will cover the reflection on a class interview for a senior social worker intern. The teacher gave every student ten minutes to complete the interview. The social worker intern was prepared for the interview. She found out her scenario just minutes before the interview. This paper will focus on the limits of confidentiality for the client, potential assessment for the client, engagement with the client, and evaluation of the social worker. Scenario The story was about a social worker intern who was placed in the hospital emergency room.... [tags: Child abuse, Sociology, Social work]
1471 words (4.2 pages)
- This paper is about a reflection on a class interview for a senior social worker. The teacher gave every student ten minutes for this interview. The students did not have an idea of what their situation was about until couple minutes before the interview. This paper will focus on the limits of confidentiality for the client, potential assessment for the client, engagement with the client, and evaluation of the social worker. Scenario The story was about a social worker intern who was placed at the hospital emergency room.... [tags: Child abuse, Sociology, Social work]
1477 words (4.2 pages)
- Treeline Elementary School Reflection Monday, February 1st, I observed Ms. Warhendorf’s second grade class. Ms. Warhendorf is the students’ teacher, but most of the lessons were taught by a Florida Gulf Coast University student doing her Level II internship. The class was quite diverse. The class consisted of Causcasion, Hispanic, and Black students. There were multiple students with learning disabilities. The classroom was diversely decorated with bullying posters stating, “Take A Stand. Lend A Hand.” The posters showed a diverse group of students.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Student, School]
873 words (2.5 pages)
- Psych 356: Reflection Paper The topic that I have found most intriguing in this class so far is the idea of fixed vs. growth mindset, as discussed in the motivation lectures and the Dweck (2007) reading. As Dweck (2007) states, these two mindsets refer to the way in which we view intelligence. On one hand, a fixed mindset posits that intelligence is an innate characteristic and that we cannot do much to change it. For many students, a fixed mindset is demotivating because it implies that they cannot improve their intelligence.... [tags: Motivation, Educational psychology, Education]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- This reflection paper is divided into five main sections. The first section gives a general introduction of internship that I was doing during my internship period. The second section provides an overview of the internship practice and tasks that I was assigned to do. The third section is about the office technologies I used during the internship. The fourth section is about the benefits of the RCBC Paralegal Program courses taken as applied to the work that I performed. The final section is devoted to the knowledge and experience that I gained during the course of internship.... [tags: Lawyer, Law, Common law, Judge]
1315 words (3.8 pages)
- Reflection Paper Cornelia C. Welch-Dick University of Southern Mississippi Reflection Paper After a summer internship at a news station that was in direct correlation with my declared undergraduate major, I am anxious to begin focusing my work and study toward higher education student affairs. My experience this summer forced me to do some self-evaluation and assessment as far as my strengths, weaknesses, and what kind of environment I envision myself thriving in. My vision for my career is ever developing.... [tags: Graduate school, College]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- Summer Term Reflection Paper As I look back on the beginning of my journey to a better career and life I can remember the weeks and months leading up to the first day of class. I remember visiting the college and speaking with an advisor to decide exactly what it was I wanted to do, and the steps it would take for me to reach my goals. I recall talking with the advisor about the requirements for my General Education credits as well my need to take a preparatory class for algebra because I scored to low on the placement exam to be allowed to take the full college level math.... [tags: Reflection Paper]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- The quarter has finally come to an end, and with that, I close out my internship and this class that went along with it. It was a great experience and I leave equipped with a new set of skills that are preparing me for the world ahead. As I write this reflection paper, I think back to the very first week when I set up two goals for myself to focus on and hope to achieve throughout the following weeks. My first goal was to develop a better understanding of myself within the work place, and my second was to develop a strong network to jumpstart my career.... [tags: Intern, Employment, Internship]
1138 words (3.3 pages)