The internship that I acquired during the summer of 2010 at the Greenwood Sports and Industrial Rehabilitation Center (GSIRC), allowed me to gain an immeasurable amount of experience during my tenure at this facility. Within this period, the exposure to new concepts within the physical therapy industry allowed me to observe and work hands on with patients of all ages and disabilities that exposed me to various treatment plans and programs to restore client’s mobility. The essential Physical Education and Exercise Science (PEES) courses taken at Lander University were beneficial to my academic knowledgebase, which prepared me and developed me for the opportunity within the physical therapy discipline. Working as an intern taught me the responsibility of time management and working within a lean schedule that allow me to further develop my skill set. This reflection paper will illustrate my classroom experience, internship experience, and learning experience.
The GSIRC highly encourage hands on experience for student interns. In order to have a sympathetic notion on what to do as an intern, the PEES courses taken previous semesters were remarkably accommodating when assisting the clients through rehabilitating workouts. In order to understand which anatomical part the patient is rehabilitating, anatomy and physiology were one of the vital subjects to be acquainted with. Having the understanding of the anatomy terms helped me, as an intern, to understand majority of the diagnosis shown on the patients’ charts. As the patients goes through their exercises it were also essential to understand the movements of each exercise such as abduction with external rotation or knee flexion. The course that corre...
... middle of paper ...
...e to work at the Greenwood Sports and Industrial Rehabilitation Center helped me strengthen my communication skills along with learning skills.
Being able to have worked with numerous patient with a variety of diagnosis help me learn more about how to time manage and develop communication skill. Learning hands on was a great experience to gather information from patients and the physical therapist (PT)/ Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA). When assisting patients through their workout, I was able analyze man of the muscle that were be used and became more focus on the form and movement. Watching the PT and PTA come up with exercises of their own shows the there have to be a lot creative thinking which I have gained along the way. For the first time I actually experience the use of resistance bands and how effective they are compare to free weights and machines.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As I continue exploring the aspects of Family Inc., I find myself becoming more amazed at the tragedies that occur in the lives of juveniles. Society is always pointing the finger at the children, blaming them and punishing their negative actions. With a deeper look at the family system behind these children, I have found an empathy for the delinquent children. The organization is not only for delinquent children, but it is thought that children with incarcerated parents have a higher risk of going into the prison system.... [tags: Reflection Paper, criminal justice system]
1062 words (3 pages)
- Treeline Elementary School Reflection Monday, February 1st, I observed Ms. Warhendorf’s second grade class. Ms. Warhendorf is the students’ teacher, but most of the lessons were taught by a Florida Gulf Coast University student doing her Level II internship. The class was quite diverse. The class consisted of Causcasion, Hispanic, and Black students. There were multiple students with learning disabilities. The classroom was diversely decorated with bullying posters stating, “Take A Stand. Lend A Hand.” The posters showed a diverse group of students.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Student, School]
873 words (2.5 pages)
- Reflection Paper Cornelia C. Welch-Dick University of Southern Mississippi Reflection Paper After a summer internship at a news station that was in direct correlation with my declared undergraduate major, I am anxious to begin focusing my work and study toward higher education student affairs. My experience this summer forced me to do some self-evaluation and assessment as far as my strengths, weaknesses, and what kind of environment I envision myself thriving in. My vision for my career is ever developing.... [tags: Graduate school, College]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- The quarter has finally come to an end, and with that, I close out my internship and this class that went along with it. It was a great experience and I leave equipped with a new set of skills that are preparing me for the world ahead. As I write this reflection paper, I think back to the very first week when I set up two goals for myself to focus on and hope to achieve throughout the following weeks. My first goal was to develop a better understanding of myself within the work place, and my second was to develop a strong network to jumpstart my career.... [tags: Intern, Employment, Internship]
1138 words (3.3 pages)
- Summer Term Reflection Paper As I look back on the beginning of my journey to a better career and life I can remember the weeks and months leading up to the first day of class. I remember visiting the college and speaking with an advisor to decide exactly what it was I wanted to do, and the steps it would take for me to reach my goals. I recall talking with the advisor about the requirements for my General Education credits as well my need to take a preparatory class for algebra because I scored to low on the placement exam to be allowed to take the full college level math.... [tags: Reflection Paper]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- Reflection Paper on Foodcorp Simulation The Foodcorp simulation was a great exercise for this class. It was a fun activity. I felt that the materials and the situations reflected the real organizational experiences. There were thirteen roles with different responsibilities in the simulation. These roles create a structure of the organization. For example, these roles create a three level of hierarchy, two groups of products; frozen foods and dry foods, and the subsidiaries. I played the roles of senior vice president of frozen foods, vice president of production and vice president of sales and marketing of frozen foods.... [tags: Personal Reflection]
1407 words (4 pages)
- : Writing Center Conference Reflection The writing center conference had a lot of useful information in each of the presentations that I attended. Each presentation had its own set of topics, which either provided ideas that were geared toward helping a particular group of students or just gave general information about certain programs that are available to help students succeed in school. There was also one presentation, which explained the results of a study conducted regarding writing center enrolled students.... [tags: Tutorial, Tutor, Teaching assistant, Paper]
903 words (2.6 pages)
- After taking this course, this has been a struggling journey. I did not find fun in this class due to the grade I have now as a result. My writing skills did not improve from high school, losing confidence in myself to create well-written, interesting papers. However, this class has given me ideas about new styles of writing. Having done these papers helped me to discern the qualifications to write a rhetorical analysis essay from a visual critique paper. Here is how my experience in College Writing went.... [tags: Writing, Rhetoric, Paper, Essay]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- The story of, “The World Champions Tragedy,” is a story of ordinary people. Everyday terrible tragedies happen that we hear about in the news. Most people will obviously feel sympathy for these things, but isn’t it true that, the majority of us will say, “That will never happen to me.” Maybe, most of us won’t verbally say something like that, but maybe we subconsciously feel or think like that. This story is an ordinary one of ordinary people. Unfortunately, in our society, people become victims and offenders do to certain circumstances and situations.... [tags: Reflection Paper]
2394 words (6.8 pages)
- The aim of this essay is to discuss on how the reflection on mentorship will be undertaken, how and why the model of reflection will be used and the importance of confidentiality. I will reflect the mentorship by ensuring that the mentee during clinical practice is put at ease throughout the learning experience of four weeks (Quinn, and Hughes 2007, p. 29). Also, I will use the principle of Kolb’s learning cycle as my model of reflection because reflecting is an essential element of learning. As I am the mentor, I will follow this cycle in a clockwise direction with Jude, so she would have to reflect on the skills learnt by reviewing the whole situation (Kolb’s learning cycle 1984 in Rose an... [tags: Reflection Paper]
2694 words (7.7 pages)