A hub is a common connection point for devices in a network. It is generally a small, sometimes flat, plastic box with many ports on the back. There are numerous ports so that you can connect many computers. It has LED lights that light up in the front so you are able to identify when it 's in operation.
The function of a hub is that it lets communications between devices to occur so that data and information can be transferred from one PC to another. A hub is generally used in a small Local Area Network also most commonly known as LAN. A hub is generally the most simple and cheapest method of linking some computers so that they can share resources and communicate like the Internet also known as the World Wide Web.
There are three different types of hub, which are passive, active and intelligent hubs. A passive hub will transfer and receive data...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Review of interconnection hardware – hubs, switches, routers Our design includes hubs, switches and routers in the infrastructure. In this section we will provide a quick overview of these appliances. Network hubs, switch, and router all perform the job of connecting computers. A network hub connects computers to each other, but it is designed with no real understanding of the information that is being transferred through the hub. what it is transferring. Network hubs are usually used in a private network (no Internet access).... [tags: IP address, Computer network]
1536 words (4.4 pages)
- ... This also applies when being around people or friends whether it’s a meeting, or lunch, it is very important to be considerate towards others and not have your phone in your hand all the time as this is considered to be rude and impolite. Another way to deal with technology overload is while driving. In this situation it is essential or even crucial not to use technology devices on the wheel because is not only dangerous for the driver itself, but also for the passengers if there are any and for the other drivers on the street.... [tags: radiation, cell phones, laptops]
638 words (1.8 pages)
- The Open Systems Interconnection Reference Model, usually referred to as the OSI Model, it is used to provide a basic framework for networking systems and for how they should work. It is used to help understand, the roles of both hardware and software, networking protocols, and how to troubleshoot network problems. There are seven layers to the model, the physical layer being layer one, the data link layer being layer two, the network layer being layer three, the transport layer being layer four, the session layer being layer five, the presentation layer being layer six, and the application layer being layer seven.... [tags: OSI model, Internet Protocol Suite]
1565 words (4.5 pages)
- Mobile Devices There are many different types of mobile devices include cell phones, smartphones like the iPhone and Android phones, Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs), and digital audio players (MP3 players and iPods). In the last decade, mobile devices’ features and capabilities have improved exponentially that can contain a vast amount of both personal and organizational data. Unfortunately, there is an increasing number of mobile devices that are used by criminals commit their crimes. Mobile device criminology is a way toward recuperating digital evidence from a device under forensically sound circumstances and using satisfactory methods.... [tags: Social network service, Twitter, Facebook]
1286 words (3.7 pages)
- Open System Interconnection Model OSI is short for Open System Interconnection, which is an ISO standard for worldwide communications that defines a networking framework for implementing protocols in seven layers. History and Reasoning forâ€¦ -------------------------- The early development of networks was disorganised. And by the early 80's there was a great increase in the number and size of networks. Companies started to realise how useful networks could be and started to add and expand networks as quickly as new network technologies were introduced.... [tags: Papers]
490 words (1.4 pages)
- Interconnection is an important issue as it serves to connect numerous customers located at home and offices as well as provide valuable network for businesses. Interconnection results in end-to-end connectivity for provisioning of services to enable communication. Today’s telecommunication networks are moving beyond the traditional PSTN into IP networks which are the next-generation networks (NGN). These NGNs can be used to deliver converged services that are a combination of voice, data and video services using the same core hardware.... [tags: Computer Networking]
1330 words (3.8 pages)
- Modern Storage Devices There are many ways of storing information and data for use with modern computer systems and new developments are constantly being made. Many changes have occurred since the first personal computers were developed, allowing a lot more information to be stored, and on storage devices which are generally a lot smaller and easier to handle than methods of storage previously used. In the past two or three years, there has been a massive change in the emphasis that has been placed on certain storage devices.... [tags: Papers]
1543 words (4.4 pages)
- Literary Devices used in Macbeth Imagine how dull a Shakespearean play would be without the ingenious literary devices and techniques that contribute so much to the fulfillment of its reader or viewer. Macbeth, by William Shakespeare, is a tragedy that combines fact and legend to tell the story of an eleventh century king. Shakespeare uses numerous types of literary techniques to make this tragic play more appealing. Three literary devices that Shakespeare uses to make Macbeth more interesting and effective are irony, symbolism, and imagery.... [tags: essays research papers]
908 words (2.6 pages)
- Presentational Devices Used in Films In traditional fairy tales, ogres are man-eating beasts. The Prince usually rescues the Princess; they marry and live happily ever after. How do the makers of Shrek use presentational devices to reverse this tradition, to reveal the ogre as good, and the Prince as evil. In this essay, I am going to analyse the characters of Shrek and Lord Farquaad, and write about how the filmmakers use different presentational devices to create an unusual fairy tale.... [tags: Papers]
2227 words (6.4 pages)
- Discuss the themes addressed in Over the Wall and the devices used to express and examine these themes The play ‘Over the Wall’ is very interesting and unique, in that instead of having names for each part, the parts are numbered from 1-9. This removes all pre-conceptions you may have had of the characters. The characters keep changing to different numbers throughout the play; this is to highlight the different types of people in society. Any number can play and the narration may be shared out.... [tags: English Literature]
1316 words (3.8 pages)