In order to get a clear understand of what exactly intelligent design is, a definition that is given by the Discovery Institute is used. They describe intelligent design as "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection." The Discovery Institute, a Christian conservative think tank, is one of the leading proponents of intelligent design. In their definition the name of a specific designer is intentionally omitted but simply makes mention that one must exist. However opponents of intelligent design feel this designer is the Christian God. This has also been the subject of much debate in the movement.
Intelligent design cannot be understood until a few other concepts are understood. First is the theory of evolution. This is the brainchild of Charles Darwin. The theory holds that all life is related and has descended from ...
... middle of paper ...
...ific knowledge and propose to fill that gap with an intelligent designer and this therefore proves that an intelligent designer does exists.
The final thought is can one believe in the theory of evolution and in the theory of an intelligent designer? Could it simply be that an intelligent designer all-powerful and all knowing created mankind and simply used evolution as the means to do so? Could this be his intelligent plan? The answer to all these questions remains unknown. So the debate over intelligent design versus evolution continues. As of yet God has not given us the intelligence to know for sure. I don't think that the existence of God can or will ever be proven using scientific principles. It is based on faith. Faith is after all the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. If it could be proven it would no longer be faith.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- There are things in the universe and on the planet that point to an intelligent design and that God is that Intelligent Designer. There are many unique items within animals, plants, and human beings. These items are just too unique and complex to have just happened. The intelligent design of these items points to an Intelligent Designer not just chance. Intelligent design is the study of patterns in nature, animals, and human beings that are best explained as the result of intelligence.... [tags: Intelligent Design is a Fact]
1532 words (4.4 pages)
- The education that provides future generations with the most accurate explanation of reality in light of evidence should, naturally, be required by all curriculums. The debate between proponents of Evolution and those in favor of Intelligent Design, a component of Creationism, have battled over which model should be taught in schools across the country. There exists a myriad of sources and an evaluation of the evidence suggests that Evolution, in tandem with the available creatures that it describes, is the most fit in providing an accurate description of how the diversity of life occurred.... [tags: theory of evolution, education, intelligent design]
1058 words (3 pages)
- Half a century ago, President John F. Kennedy gave a speech about the importance of government always maintaining an attitude of neutrality towards religion. President Kennedy stated, “I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute.” The United States has been a country, in which the separation of church and state has been adopted and assumed to be practiced, but there has been a perennial conflict disrupting the balance between church and state. In his innovative film, The Revisionaries, director Scott Thurman exposes how the public education system has become the latest battleground in the face of an old conflict – between religion and science – challenging th... [tags: Evolution, Intelligent Design]
1623 words (4.6 pages)
- Evolution and Intelligent Design being taught in public schools is a growing controversy. Both supporters and augmenters have been clashing over different perspectives on wither intelligent design should replace evolution as part of the scientific curriculum. The controversy has lead to multiple court cases and religious dispute. The main issue when it comes to teaching this idea of science in our schools is the idea of conforming to an idea without solid evidence. Students whom are required to learn intelligent design rather than Darwin’s idea of evolution will be directly confronted on their moral and religious beliefs.... [tags: uncientific, religiously bias theory]
871 words (2.5 pages)
- In taking close at philosophy, it is the study of problems linked with existence, values, knowledge, mind, language and reason. This implies that, philosophy is the study that involves addressing problems based on the rational argument. It is a well-documented fact: the word philosophy is a Greek word that means love of wisdom. Just like the name entails, philosophy is linked with many subjects such as politics, religion and ethics among others that involve absolute wisdom. In this regard, there are various concepts under philosophy subject including intelligent design claim, science and faith.... [tags: Philosophy ]
1644 words (4.7 pages)
- Intelligent design theory makes the claim that due to the irreducible complexity of some biological elements, a designer must be responsible for creating these elements in their present form. Intelligent design proponents claim that their theory has no religious motives, is purely scientific in nature, and that it answers questions that the theory of evolution fails to explain. Proponents further assert that intelligent design should be taught as an alternative to the theory of evolution in science classrooms.... [tags: Biology]
1408 words (4 pages)
- Taking a close look at philosophy, it is the study of problems linked with existence, values, knowledge, mind, language and reason. This implies that philosophy is the study that involves addressing problems based on rational argument. It is a well-documented fact: the word philosophy is a Greek word that means love of wisdom. As the name entails, philosophy is linked with many subjects such as politics, religion, and ethics, among others that involve absolute wisdom. For the past years, researchers have continuously raised issues regarding the subjects outlining various criticisms emerging under the subject of Intelligent Design (Dembski, 2002).... [tags: Philosophy ]
1624 words (4.6 pages)
- There is a major controversy brewing in the educational field today. Scientist, teachers, professors, and many others are debating where the world and its habitats originally came from. This is the debate of Intelligent Design (ID) and Evolution. The main debating question of many scholars being, "Is the universe self-contained or does it require something beyond itself to explain its existence and internal function?". Intelligent Design is the idea that living creatures on Earth are so complex that, they could not possibly have been created through the natural selection.... [tags: essays research papers]
922 words (2.6 pages)
- Intelligent design also referred to as ID is a concept that has its early origins from 4th century BC in the works Timaeus by Plato were he describes a supreme wisdom and intelligence as the creator of the cosmos. In the Metaphysics Aristotle furthers developed the idea of a natural creator of the cosmos. One of the most famous ideas for intelligent design today comes the 13th century where Thomas Aguinas described the concept of design as the fifth of five proofs for the existence of God in his work Summa Theologia.... [tags: Evolution Creationism]
1316 words (3.8 pages)
- Intelligent Design Look at the world. Its a complex biosphere with many creatures and organisms which we haven't even discovered yet. This world and its life forms are so complex we haven't even come close to solving all its mysteries. All that we humans can do is offer suggestions and theories, but nothing concrete. In this equation we can't even answer the most important question. How was the Earth formed. We offer theories but in the end they are nothing more than theories. Suggestion to a reason which we can't understand.... [tags: Papers]
814 words (2.3 pages)