Intelligent Design poses a real threat to the education of our nation. At least twelve different states have brought up the idea of Intelligent Design or creationism in state courts (“Intelligent design in politics”). One of the most important cases occurred in the county in which I live. So for me, Intelligent Design hits close to home. I can remember sitting in biology class freshmen year of high school and being taught the theory of evolution. Before teaching evolution, my teacher stated that evolution is merely a theory, it is not proven, and the only reason we had to learn it was because we would see it on our test. I never thought of evolution as a valid, proven, or viable scientific theory until recently. I had never believed in evolution because I was taught not to do so. My teacher hindered my scientific education. I hope the same does not occur for more students, but Intelligent Design proposes a real threat. ...
... middle of paper ...
Tovell. PBS. 13 Nov. 2007. Television. Transcript.
Reuland, Steve. "Intelligent Design vs. Creationism." The Panda's Thumb. 9 Nov. 2005. Web. 15
West, John G. "Intelligent Design Research Lab Highlighted in New Scientist." Evolution News
& Views. Discovery Institute, 19 Dec. 2006. Web. 16 Nov. 2011.
Zimmerman, Michael. "Detailed Record Combating the Fifth Wave of Creationism: Religious
Leaders and Scientists Working Together." EBSCO Host. EBSCO Industries, May 2010.
Web. 15 Nov. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Could Adam and Eve have been apes. Evolutionists say humans evolved from apes, but many religious people cannot swallow the thought. For years, religious people have voiced their unhappiness that schools teach evolution. The Bible says that God put all the plants, animals, and people on this planet, and evolution completely contradicts that. The idea of including creationism in schools has been brought to courts multiple times but with no success. Now the creationists have a new way of presenting it.... [tags: Science / Evolution]
1341 words (3.8 pages)
- The argument has been going on for years and years. Should schools be allowed to teach evolution without teaching creationism. The courts have ruled, the answer is no, the theory of creationism cannot be included in a public school’s academic curriculum. With the court’s decision, it has been made clear there is no place for faith based theories to be taught in our public schools. What if there was a different approach that took God out of the equation. Public high schools should allow a course in intelligent design to be included in the curriculum as a way of teaching both evolution and creationism without violating the separation of church and state.... [tags: Intelligent Design]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- There are things in the universe and on the planet that point to an intelligent design and that God is that Intelligent Designer. There are many unique items within animals, plants, and human beings. These items are just too unique and complex to have just happened. The intelligent design of these items points to an Intelligent Designer not just chance. Intelligent design is the study of patterns in nature, animals, and human beings that are best explained as the result of intelligence.... [tags: Intelligent Design is a Fact]
1532 words (4.4 pages)
- The education that provides future generations with the most accurate explanation of reality in light of evidence should, naturally, be required by all curriculums. The debate between proponents of Evolution and those in favor of Intelligent Design, a component of Creationism, have battled over which model should be taught in schools across the country. There exists a myriad of sources and an evaluation of the evidence suggests that Evolution, in tandem with the available creatures that it describes, is the most fit in providing an accurate description of how the diversity of life occurred.... [tags: theory of evolution, education, intelligent design]
1058 words (3 pages)
- Half a century ago, President John F. Kennedy gave a speech about the importance of government always maintaining an attitude of neutrality towards religion. President Kennedy stated, “I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute.” The United States has been a country, in which the separation of church and state has been adopted and assumed to be practiced, but there has been a perennial conflict disrupting the balance between church and state. In his innovative film, The Revisionaries, director Scott Thurman exposes how the public education system has become the latest battleground in the face of an old conflict – between religion and science – challenging th... [tags: Evolution, Intelligent Design]
1623 words (4.6 pages)
- In taking close at philosophy, it is the study of problems linked with existence, values, knowledge, mind, language and reason. This implies that, philosophy is the study that involves addressing problems based on the rational argument. It is a well-documented fact: the word philosophy is a Greek word that means love of wisdom. Just like the name entails, philosophy is linked with many subjects such as politics, religion and ethics among others that involve absolute wisdom. In this regard, there are various concepts under philosophy subject including intelligent design claim, science and faith.... [tags: Philosophy ]
1644 words (4.7 pages)
- Most people state that life was created by intelligent design, pure chance, or even evolution. Although some would argue that evolution is basically chance in a different form, the opposite is true. Even though it would take quite a bit of chance for evolution to work out perfectly how Darwin said it did, it is still one organism developing into another over a long period of time. Compared to evolution, intelligent design is the concept that life and the universe did not come to be by chance, but created by some intelligent entity.... [tags: religious versus scientific view]
566 words (1.6 pages)
- Intelligent design theory makes the claim that due to the irreducible complexity of some biological elements, a designer must be responsible for creating these elements in their present form. Intelligent design proponents claim that their theory has no religious motives, is purely scientific in nature, and that it answers questions that the theory of evolution fails to explain. Proponents further assert that intelligent design should be taught as an alternative to the theory of evolution in science classrooms.... [tags: Biology]
1408 words (4 pages)
- Taking a close look at philosophy, it is the study of problems linked with existence, values, knowledge, mind, language and reason. This implies that philosophy is the study that involves addressing problems based on rational argument. It is a well-documented fact: the word philosophy is a Greek word that means love of wisdom. As the name entails, philosophy is linked with many subjects such as politics, religion, and ethics, among others that involve absolute wisdom. For the past years, researchers have continuously raised issues regarding the subjects outlining various criticisms emerging under the subject of Intelligent Design (Dembski, 2002).... [tags: Philosophy ]
1624 words (4.6 pages)
- Intelligent design also referred to as ID is a concept that has its early origins from 4th century BC in the works Timaeus by Plato were he describes a supreme wisdom and intelligence as the creator of the cosmos. In the Metaphysics Aristotle furthers developed the idea of a natural creator of the cosmos. One of the most famous ideas for intelligent design today comes the 13th century where Thomas Aguinas described the concept of design as the fifth of five proofs for the existence of God in his work Summa Theologia.... [tags: Evolution Creationism]
1316 words (3.8 pages)