This report has been written to provide information to a client, and will advise on the integration of Mechanical & Electrical building services in a 2 storey office building. The building also has basement space available for plant allocation.
The areas which have been requested for consideration are:
Mechanical Heating, Ventilation and air conditioning systems
heat loading Calculating
Fire and Security Systems
Each section will be accompanied by a series of sketch designs showing installation methods and locations within the building.
Evidence shall be used from external sources to strengthen the document.
Reference to proposed building plans can be found in the appendix
Mechanical HVAC Services
Whether dealing with any building certain services need to be considered at the design stage to enable occupiers have reasonable conditions and a comfortable working environment. HVAC systems (heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems) are used to provide buildings with ‘conditioned air’ which is odourless and fresh, as well as ensuring the temperature, humidity and flow of the air is within a certain comfort range appealing to the occupiers. Figure 1 on page 5 is a diagram which explains a basic design process when designing a heating or ventilation system for a building.
According to the charted institute of building services engineers ‘a successful heating system design will result in a system that can be installed and commissioned to deliver the indoor temperatures required for the client.’ (CIBSE Guide B 2004) a heating service should also be designed to sustain its original performance capabilities over its planned life with little need for maintena...
... middle of paper ...
...working environment and minimal maintenance is necessary to both the system and the area of installation. The delay of water through transportation to the system must be taken into account, a quote from CIBSE Guide E states ‘the speed of water in the event of a fire should be carefully considered. A suggestion of a maximum pipe volume 2.5 m3 or a delivery of water to the sprinkler within 60 seconds should be fulfilled’ (CIBSE Guide E 2004) this shall be incorporated within the final designs.
By law a sprinkler system within a building must have its own water supply. A proposal of a water tank should be installed within the plant room for use of the system and shall be incorporated with the water heating system. In case of emergencies a connection shall be connected to the town’s mains water supply, further costs will have to be discussed with whom it may concern.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Electrical motors play an important role in today’s society, from powering domestic appliances like blenders to industrial equipment such as trains. It almost seems impossible to not use an electric motor in our daily lives. In the comfort of our home, electric motors will operate fans, refrigerators, and air conditioners to just name a few. Researchers are constantly looking for new ways to incorporate electrical motors in our lives. Electrical motors function by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy by using the energy stored in the magnetic field (Sarma, 1981).... [tags: converting electrical energy to mechanical energy]
2493 words (7.1 pages)
- Introduction The Bureau of Labor Statistics defines an electrical engineer as someone that “designs, develops, tests, and supervises the manufacturing of electrical equipment such as electric motors, radar and navigation systems, communications systems, or power generation equipment.” Electrical engineers work with but are not limited to electricity, electronics and electromagnetism (What Do Electrical Engineers Do?). These engineers can work in labs, offices or on the floor of some major industries.... [tags: politics, electrical engeneering]
1910 words (5.5 pages)
- ... 3. Man and Van If you want to get on the move quickly, without wanting to take the job on yourself, it may be worth looking towards a reliable man with a van service. When this is the case, our Gidea Park man with van packages come highly recommended. Our team of experienced staff will get you from old home to new in no time at all, as we continue to provide the best RM2 man and a van service in the area. Next time you are looking for a van and man service that you can count on, don’t hesitate to swing by our office or give us a call.... [tags: house removal, office removal]
878 words (2.5 pages)
- The dental office floor plan detailed above clearly and cleanly divides the dental space into 3 clear segmented areas: non-clinical (patient and administration), clinical, (dental delivery) and clinical support (supplies, storage, and laboratory). The non-clinical space has the most diverse user traffic patterns since patients and family members, clinical, and non-clinical staff may use this area. This non-clinical space should not be blended with the clinical and clinical support areas. The bottleneck areas are the patient in-take and out-take or registration area of the patient reception desk.... [tags: Office Design]
692 words (2 pages)
- I. INTRODUCTION There is currently a challenge that the world is facing; the need for a convenient and affordable form of transportation that does not contribute to the destruction of the environment. There are many obstacles that make this a difficult task to achieve. Hybrid cars do use electricity as one of their main sources of energy, however the batteries used in these cars do not store enough charge to ensure the car’s ability to travel great distances. Because of this, hybrid vehicles have a second engine which runs on gasoline.... [tags: environment, electrical, energy, procedures]
1415 words (4 pages)
- Offices require lots of different equipment, like computers, printers, routers, switches, and cables. You also need software to get your tasks done everyday, like productivity, communication, time management, and the specific type of software for the type of office. You need all these things to make your office run more smoothly and get your work done. Computer hardware for an office consist of routers, switches, computers, servers and cables. Routers help computers share the internet line and depending on how many computers you have, depends on how many ports you will need (McKay, 2011).... [tags: the functionality of office equipment]
616 words (1.8 pages)
- Sarah was overtaking a truck on the highway and accelerated above the speed limit as the highway patrol caught her for speeding. “You were doing 84 in a 65, can I have your license, registration, and proof of insurance please?” the officer asked impatiently. “Yeah, but I was really only overtaking the long truck, I had no intention of purposely speeding, can I just get a warning please?” Sarah asked as she handed the officer what he asked for. “I don't do warnings and I need my money, I will be right back.” Many minutes went by as Sarah nervously waited to receive her first traffic ticket, in over three years of driving.... [tags: Student Services]
1321 words (3.8 pages)
- The Office of Tomorrow In an increasing number of companies, traditional office space is giving way to community areas and empty chairs as employees work from home, from their cars or from virtually anywhere. Advanced technologies and progressive HR strategies make these alternative offices possible. Imagine it's 2 o'clock on a Wednesday afternoon. Inside the dining room of many nationwide offices, Joe Smith, manager of HR, is downing a sandwich and soda while wading through phone and E-mail messages.... [tags: Technology Predicting Business Office Essays]
3741 words (10.7 pages)
- Office 123 Executive Summary Office-1-2-3 Premium is an affordable office suite for small businesses and home office users that are looking for all that an office suite has to offer, for a fraction of the price. Office-1-2-3 Premium's direct competitor is Microsoft Office. It has all that Microsoft has, plus more. It is a stand alone office suite. You do not need any other programs in order to run it successfully. But it can also run alongside many other programs without any problems. It is easy to install and very user friendly.... [tags: Business Analysis Office Software]
1279 words (3.7 pages)
- Electrical Engineering Work Performed Electrical Engineers research, develop, design, and test electronic components, products, and systems for commercial, industrial, medical, military, and scientific applications (Cosgrove 749). They are concerned with devices that use small amounts of electricity that make up electronic components such as integrated circuits and microprocessors. By applying principles and techniques of electronic engineering they design, develop, and manufacture products such as computers, telephones, radios, and stereo systems (EGOE, 121).... [tags: essays research papers]
1912 words (5.5 pages)