Essay PreviewMore ↓
Accuracy of data input is important. It is important to know, not so much where the data comes from or how it is processed but whether the results are useful and valuable. There are many different applications to consider when deciding which method is best for data input and output devices. Not only is the input important but the quality of output is very important. Feedback on the output creates the ability to go back and correct any errors that may have been made during the initial input of data.
The first item to address is the best data input for each of the following: printed questionnaires, telephone survey, bank checks, retail tags, and long documents.
To capture data from printed questionnaires it is best by keying in the data using a computer keyboard. Another possible method would be to scan the questionnaires but you would still need to have some software program that would be able to interpret the data which might not be very accurate. The best method for a telephone survey, since we all receive these types of calls is by having the caller press different keys on the phone for an answer. For example when we call to find out information at our local bank it will ask if you want the phone call in Spanish press the number 1 key on your phone. Technology with telephone surveys has advanced over the past few years, now you don't even have to press a button but rather say yes or no to specific questions, the computer on the other end will decipher the information and you answer if it is correct. The negative side of this is that when you want to speak to a person the survey may not allow you to do this or the survey will take you around a series of questions before transferring you to a person.
The best method for bank checks is by scanning them. Most banks are setup with a system called MICR (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition) a magnetic scanning input device. This system reads the numbers at the bottom of the checks and will mechanically make modifications to the correct accounts. Consideration needs to be taken that the items are being scanned so the possibility for error still is possible. The best method for retail tags is a bar code scanner.
How to Cite this Page
"Input Output Storage Paper." 123HelpMe.com. 07 Apr 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Data Input, Output, Storage and Access Methods The purpose of this paper is to highlight some best practices for data input and output. In addition, this paper will highlight appropriate uses of various storage means. Lastly, it will address the effect certain components of a computer have on its overall speed. Accuracy of Data Input There are various methods for entering data into a computer system. Depending on the medium in which the original data is contained, and how it is to be stored and used later, there can be great differences in input methods.... [tags: data ]
1240 words (3.5 pages)
- DATA INPUT METHODS: Printed questionnaires – Depending on the type of questionnaires some form of optical data reading dives would be the best method. An OMR or Optical Mark Reader can be used in conjunction with special paper called mark sense form in order to easily input data from questionnaires where people just simply mark their answer from an already defined set of answers to a question. Another type of optical data reading that can be used with questionnaires is called OCR or optical character reader.... [tags: Data]
1570 words (4.5 pages)
- Output, input, Storage and Speed of the Computer Printed questionnaires Intelligent Character Recognition (ICR) would be the best choice. Its the ICR technology that allows data capture software to automatically to, read information from all types of documents - even handwritten ones. Telephone survey-voice recognition is best because a voice input device can be programmed to distinguish answers spoken into the receiver allowing it to all be completed by computers. Bank checks- scanning devices that recognizes bar codes are called MICR (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition) a magnetic scanning input device.... [tags: Technology Computer]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Introduction This paper will take a closer look at data input and also data output considerations. There are many different choices when it comes to data input/output options. While it is good to have many choices, there are usually some considerations that are required to make the best possible decision. The second section of this paper will concentrate on the difference between primary and secondary storage. Lastly, the different roles of computer components and their impact on overall computer speed will be explored.... [tags: Data Technology Computer]
1807 words (5.2 pages)
- Input Devices Any input device is any hardware device that sends data to the computer. Without any input devices, a computer would only be a display device and not allow users to interact with it. (Input Device). A couple examples are barcode reader, scanner, keyboard, and even a finger if you’re using it for a touchscreen. Drives such as CD-ROM, DVD, and a floppy disk may be capable of sending the computer information, but they are not input devices. These are considered storage devices. Any information or data that’s entered or sent to the computer to be processed is considered input and anything that is displayed from the computer is output (Input Device).... [tags: storage, keyboard, smartphone]
856 words (2.4 pages)
- The purpose of this paper is to explain the importance of accurate data input, the quality of output, and the use of different storage devices. This paper will shed light on which device is the best to use and when to use it for data storage. Another element to be discussed is the role of RAM, of clock speed, of a hard disk, of a CD ROM, and of a floppy disk and how each device determines computer speed. Through examination and exploration of each area one will achieve a better understanding of the importance of data input, data output, the advantages/disadvantage of storage options, and computer components.... [tags: Data Computers Entry]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- There are many aspects of computing that are important: accuracy of data input, convenience and quality of output, optimal storage devices, and processing speed of a computer. What are all these things and what are the best methods or types. Data Input Fundamental to accuracy of data input is assurance that the information system will be able to properly automate the collection of information and that the end-user is aware of and understands how information should be recorded. Stair and Reynolds (2006) supports, “Input can be a manual or an automated process.... [tags: Technology Computers]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Data Discussion Paper This paper will cover many aspects of data as it applies to computer usage, storage, performance, input, and output devices. First, I will discuss methods of data input and which would be best for various situations. Then, I will talk about methods of output and which devices would work best in several different situations keeping in mind that convenience and quality are very important in output devices.... [tags: Data Database Technology Computer]
983 words (2.8 pages)
- Input, Process and Output for I.R.C. Coursework As system analysts to ensure I.R.C get the job done I am going to introduce the three basic and main steps. These are Input, Process and Output. The first step will be using Inputs such as keyboards, mouse, scanner and many other inputs. The keyboard allows me to input and type text about special features and offers which I can include in the newsletter or the flyer to promote and advertise my business. It allows me to store information about the customers and there order details .The mouse has many features such as allowing me to point and click in a certain column and also editing any mistakes made.... [tags: Papers]
515 words (1.5 pages)
- Intro The need for accurate data is evident. Systems and procedures are needed to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information being recorded and understanding the role hardware as well as software plays is important in acquiring the correct resources for any project. Accuracy of Data Input Accuracy of data input is important. What method of data input would be best for the following situations and explain why. Printed Questionnaires. Questionnaires can be input into a computer using a keyboard and computer screen.... [tags: Data]
1216 words (3.5 pages)
Second is the best output method for each of the following: hand held computer, color photograph, resume, memorandum, statistical report, and company annual report.
The best method for a hand held computer is an accessible printer that the hand held computer can be linked up to or a portable printer. The best method for a color photograph, is a photo printer. They now sell photo printers that can hookup directly to your camera and print out photos as soon as you take them rather than having to take the photos to get developed.
The best method for a resume is a printer. A laser printer is probably best because it delivers the fastest print and the best quality. The best method for a memorandum would also be a laser printer, it delivers the fastest print and best quality, although quality might not be important with a memo speed is always a necessity. Most companies today are utilizing email as a way to communicate memos.
For a statistical report it is best to have a software program that would allow you to decipher the information and print what is needed at that specific moment. Again a laser printer is best. The best method for a company annual report is also a laser printer, with the utmost quality. Since this document will be seen by investors or company stakeholders it is important to present the best quality graphs, pictures and financial information on the best quality print possible.
Third is the best situation for storage devices such as hard disk, floppy disk, RAM, CD ROM, and a tape. A hard disk is great for capturing data that needs to be kept and used quite often. It is best not to use a hard disk for data that will not be used often as this data will just take up valuable space. A floppy disk is best for data that needs to be portable and is only used when needed. Such as when we have to give presentations here at UOP. RAM is best for data that needs to be used immediately and needs to be retrieved repeatedly. A CD ROM is best used for data that will be used occasionally, and that needs to be kept. For example when you purchase a computer they give you CD ROM's for installation purposes and backup. Just in case you lose your data on your hard drive, data stored on the CD ROM can be restored to the new hard drive.
Tape is really no longer used, because it is very slow although it can be used as a source to store data as well.
Lastly I will explain the role of the following as they pertain to the speed of a computer RAM, clock speed, data on hard disk, data on CD ROM , and data on a floppy disk.
RAM is best known form of computer memory it determines how much data can be stored for immediate access rather than stored on some other storage device that may take longer to retrieve. Clock speed controls how fast data is moved though the computer via chips and data paths, or buses, between them. All busses in a computer run at a certain clock frequency, and all components on that bus must be designed to run correctly at that frequency.
Determining the speed of a computer while accessing data stored on the hard disk, CD ROM and a floppy disk. The fastest and quickest access is with RAM, followed by hard disk data and CD ROM data, and last data stored on a floppy disk.
Stair, Ralph, Reynolds, George (2004). Fundamentals of Information Systems. Course
Technology, Second Edition
Tyson, Jeff, Coustan, Dave (1998-2006). How Ram Works. Retrieved August 25, 2006 from