Input devices are used all around the world on a daily basis and affect our lives more than many people realize. They are classified as any machine that is used to enter data into a computer. One of the most common types of input devices was used to type this paper, a keyboard. There is so much more to this common device then you notice at first glance. Another input device that consumes much of our world is the modern day smartphone. There are very few people around that do not have access to this high tech device. The smartphone mechanism itself contains multiple different inputs. There are many inputs that people will go their whole life not using or maybe not realizing they had access to. These people aren’t even getting full access of their device and the smartphone is still considered an amazing machine. The future for input devices is also predicted to keep improving. There may even be a new technique that involves a continuous flow of input, rather than the single stream of input that is currently in function.
Input devices are known to be the physical equipment used to enter data into computers. In turn the information that has been entered into the computer hardware equipment is then displayed using an output device. The output device is most commonly the display or screen of a computer or smartphone for example. Input devices can be classified in multiple ways. There is the modality of the input which is most commonly audio, visual, or mechanical motion. The second classification used is the degrees of freedom involved. Some examples of degrees of freedom would be two dimensional or three dimensional navigation. Two dimensional freedom is most commonly known as the mouse. Three dimensional navigation woul...
... middle of paper ...
Cardinal, D. (2011, October 11). Extreme Tech. Retrieved November 22, 2013, from Extreme Tech: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/98287-from-punchcards-to-ipads-the-history-of-input-devices/2
Gary B. Shelly, M. E. (2011). Microsoft Office 2010 Introductory. Boston, MA: Course Technology.
Jacob, R. J. (n.d.). Citeseerx. Retrieved November 22, 2013, from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.50.6000&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Litchfield, S. (2007, May 31). All About Symbian. Retrieved November 22, 2013, from http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/How_to_Use_a_Bluetooth_keyboard_with_your_smartphone.php
Nicholles, M. (n.d.). ITC Lounge. Retrieved November 22, 2013, from http://www.ictlounge.com/html/inputdevices.htm
Wikipedia. (2013, November 12). Retrieved November 22, 2013, from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_device
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In today’s modern world computers are playing a bigger part in daily life. With this ever-increasing part computers play in our lives interacting with them is becoming more important than ever. If a computer is not told what to do it is merely a box that takes up space. This input can come from many different sources. These sources can control various functions of electronics. Input devices are hardware that sends data to the computer or other electrical device. These devices can range from a button on a keyboard to a digital camera.... [tags: GUI, keyboard, microphone]
970 words (2.8 pages)
- Introduction I do not know much what an input device is even I have been using computer for many years. I thought that an input device is just a component inside the computer. I also did not know the role of input device play. I am among those people who do not care much about the component inside the computer. Now as I reflect, seems like I have ignored the importance of an input device. What is input. Input is really important for the computer. Through this device, users are allows to enter data or instructions into a computer.... [tags: components, keyboard, mouse, printers]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- Input Devices An input device is a device that provide the computer input, for example a keyboard, without the keyboard you would not be able to type words or use the different shortcuts a keyboard provides and without a mouse you would not be able to click on anything to get you anywhere, so a computer without input devices would be mostly useless. There are many input devices to use, there is, microphones, scanners, webcams, etc. all these devices send information to the computer, categorizing them as input devices.... [tags: keyboard, mouse, smartboard]
777 words (2.2 pages)
- Introduction In this high-technology generation, information technology (IT) had become very important for every human being in this world. As information technology and information systems is very important to business too, so we have to learn IT. But, to become IT genius, we have to know how to access IT with the help of computer. After this lecture, I learn that computer is not that simple as I thought. I also learn different types of computer’s component which very important to access computer.... [tags: electronic device technology]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- Input Devices Barcodes are different groups of vertical bars that can be read by an optical scanner. Barcodes are printed on nearly every product that you can buy. Shops use them because they are cheap to produce and very durable. No At present, a barcode reader is not one of John Browns requirements. Maybe at a later stage he may decide to purchase one to make it easier to enter product information onto the computer. Keyboard They are the most popular input peripheral. Most computer systems come with one.... [tags: Papers]
363 words (1 pages)
- Chapter One Student response systems, or clickers, are a wireless handheld device used by students to provide responses to a variety of different assessments as a part of classroom instruction (Caldwell, 2007). Researchers have not yet agreed on a standard term for student response systems. For the sake of this paper, student response systems will be the all encompassing term for this technology. There are different types and brands of student response systems, but the concept is the same for all, which is to provide feedback to the instructor in an interactive way during instruction.... [tags: Wireless Technology, Input Devices]
1863 words (5.3 pages)
- An input device is any device that is connected to a computer and transfers information to react or appear on the monitor screen. Code is translated from the device to the machine. For example, a keyboard connected to a computer through a USB cord will tell the computer what letters or characters should appear on the screen. Some example of input and output devices on a computer are printers, mouse, camera, external drives, internet, microphone, and audio speakers. Storage is where information and documents are stored (computer technology, n.d.).... [tags: Computer, Integrated circuit, Input device]
1079 words (3.1 pages)
- Input Devices Any input device is any hardware device that sends data to the computer. Without any input devices, a computer would only be a display device and not allow users to interact with it. (Input Device). A couple examples are barcode reader, scanner, keyboard, and even a finger if you’re using it for a touchscreen. Drives such as CD-ROM, DVD, and a floppy disk may be capable of sending the computer information, but they are not input devices. These are considered storage devices. Any information or data that’s entered or sent to the computer to be processed is considered input and anything that is displayed from the computer is output (Input Device).... [tags: storage, keyboard, smartphone]
856 words (2.4 pages)
- Input/ Output Storage Paper Accuracy of data input is important. It is important to know, not so much where the data comes from or how it is processed but whether the results are useful and valuable. There are many different applications to consider when deciding which method is best for data input and output devices. Not only is the input important but the quality of output is very important. Feedback on the output creates the ability to go back and correct any errors that may have been made during the initial input of data.... [tags: Computer Technology]
1134 words (3.2 pages)
- Data Input Methods Optical data readers The best data input method for printed questionnaires would be Optical Data Readers. Optical Data Readers are a special type of scanning device to be used on documents. Optical Data Readers fall under two categories, optical mark recognition (OMR) and optical character recognition (OCR) (Stair, R., Reynolds, G., 2004). Printed questionnaires which, for instance, can be used for surveying groups of people regarding a particular subject can utilize OMR through the utilization of OMR paper refer to as "mark sense form".... [tags: Database Data]
1694 words (4.8 pages)