Any input device is any hardware device that sends data to the computer. Without any input devices, a computer would only be a display device and not allow users to interact with it. (Input Device). A couple examples are barcode reader, scanner, keyboard, and even a finger if you’re using it for a touchscreen. Drives such as CD-ROM, DVD, and a floppy disk may be capable of sending the computer information, but they are not input devices. These are considered storage devices. Any information or data that’s entered or sent to the computer to be processed is considered input and anything that is displayed from the computer is output (Input Device). Without input devices, a computer is a brain with nothing to think about. But combined with memory and processing power, they make computers some of the most valuable pieces of equipment in our lives (Perez).
A keyboard is defined as an external input device used to type data into some sort of computer system whether it be a mobile device, a personal computer, or another electronic machine (Business Dictionary). A keyboard ususally includes alphabetic, numerical, and common symbols used in everday transcription (Business Dictionary). There are three diffent keyboard layouts; QWERTY, AZERTY, and Dvorak (Hardware - Input Devices). Beyond standard typing, keyboards have a numeric keypad on the right side of the keyboard. Most of today’s desktop keyboards are enhanced. Enhanced meaning having 12 or more funtions along the top and a set of arrow and additional keys between the typing area and numeric keypad. Function keys are special keys programmed to issue instructions to a computer such as media controls internet controls (Shelly and Vermaat).
Smart phone input devices can ...
... middle of paper ...
...on, Alvaris. 10 Upcoming Technology That May Change The World. 2012. 21 November 2013.
Future Timeline. 21 November 2013.
H., Jack. mobile input types.
Hardware - Input Devices.
Input Device. 2013. 14 November 2013
Nagel, David. Will Smart Phones Eliminate the Digital Divide? 1 February 2011. 21 Novemeber 2013.
Perez, David. Input Devices & Their Uses. 2013. 21 November 2013.
Rohs, Michael. 2010/2011.
Shelly, Gary B. and Misty E. Vermaat. Microsoft Office 2012. n.d.
Teach-ICT. 18 November 2013
Tips & Tricks: Galaxy S 4. Web. 26 April 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction In this high-technology generation, information technology (IT) had become very important for every human being in this world. As information technology and information systems is very important to business too, so we have to learn IT. But, to become IT genius, we have to know how to access IT with the help of computer. After this lecture, I learn that computer is not that simple as I thought. I also learn different types of computer’s component which very important to access computer.... [tags: electronic device technology]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- Introduction I do not know much what an input device is even I have been using computer for many years. I thought that an input device is just a component inside the computer. I also did not know the role of input device play. I am among those people who do not care much about the component inside the computer. Now as I reflect, seems like I have ignored the importance of an input device. What is input. Input is really important for the computer. Through this device, users are allows to enter data or instructions into a computer.... [tags: components, keyboard, mouse, printers]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- The purpose of this paper is to explain the importance of accurate data input, the quality of output, and the use of different storage devices. This paper will shed light on which device is the best to use and when to use it for data storage. Another element to be discussed is the role of RAM, of clock speed, of a hard disk, of a CD ROM, and of a floppy disk and how each device determines computer speed. Through examination and exploration of each area one will achieve a better understanding of the importance of data input, data output, the advantages/disadvantage of storage options, and computer components.... [tags: Data Computers Entry]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- Data Input, Output, Storage and Access Methods The purpose of this paper is to highlight some best practices for data input and output. In addition, this paper will highlight appropriate uses of various storage means. Lastly, it will address the effect certain components of a computer have on its overall speed. Accuracy of Data Input There are various methods for entering data into a computer system. Depending on the medium in which the original data is contained, and how it is to be stored and used later, there can be great differences in input methods.... [tags: data ]
1240 words (3.5 pages)
- Data Input Methods Optical data readers The best data input method for printed questionnaires would be Optical Data Readers. Optical Data Readers are a special type of scanning device to be used on documents. Optical Data Readers fall under two categories, optical mark recognition (OMR) and optical character recognition (OCR) (Stair, R., Reynolds, G., 2004). Printed questionnaires which, for instance, can be used for surveying groups of people regarding a particular subject can utilize OMR through the utilization of OMR paper refer to as "mark sense form".... [tags: Database Data]
1694 words (4.8 pages)
- Input Devices Input devices are used all around the world on a daily basis and affect our lives more than many people realize. They are classified as any machine that is used to enter data into a computer. One of the most common types of input devices was used to type this paper, a keyboard. There is so much more to this common device then you notice at first glance. Another input device that consumes much of our world is the modern day smartphone. There are very few people around that do not have access to this high tech device.... [tags: keyboard, smartphone, bluetooth]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- In today’s modern world computers are playing a bigger part in daily life. With this ever-increasing part computers play in our lives interacting with them is becoming more important than ever. If a computer is not told what to do it is merely a box that takes up space. This input can come from many different sources. These sources can control various functions of electronics. Input devices are hardware that sends data to the computer or other electrical device. These devices can range from a button on a keyboard to a digital camera.... [tags: GUI, keyboard, microphone]
970 words (2.8 pages)
- Output, input, Storage and Speed of the Computer Printed questionnaires Intelligent Character Recognition (ICR) would be the best choice. Its the ICR technology that allows data capture software to automatically to, read information from all types of documents - even handwritten ones. Telephone survey-voice recognition is best because a voice input device can be programmed to distinguish answers spoken into the receiver allowing it to all be completed by computers. Bank checks- scanning devices that recognizes bar codes are called MICR (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition) a magnetic scanning input device.... [tags: Technology Computer]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Data Discussion Paper This paper will cover many aspects of data as it applies to computer usage, storage, performance, input, and output devices. First, I will discuss methods of data input and which would be best for various situations. Then, I will talk about methods of output and which devices would work best in several different situations keeping in mind that convenience and quality are very important in output devices.... [tags: Data Database Technology Computer]
983 words (2.8 pages)
- Devices of Computers Computers perform the input, storage, processing, and output functions of the information system. In addition, computers and their devices need ways to communicate with one another. These devices are usually connected by electronic cables when located near each other. The factors that determine the reliability of an information system are the accuracy of data input, the convenience and quality of output, optimal use of storage devices, and the speed of a computer. Accuracy of data input is important, and computers ensure that the results are correct by not making mistakes that people do.... [tags: Computer Technology]
1396 words (4 pages)