An information system refers to a collection of components which are used for the collection, storage and the processing of some raw data so that information may be provided. Different fields have made use of information systems in various ways due to their capacity to inform and give digital products. These areas have relied on it (information system) in performing and managing operations with the aim of increasing production and efficiency. For instance, they have been used in running inter-organizational supply chains as well as the electronic markets. Also, prominent and Complex Corporation is understood to benefit from these systems in processing financial accounts, managing their resources and also in reaching their potential customers through the online promotions. It can be summed up by saying that, studies have revealed that most of the companies in the labor industry are built exclusively around information systems (Jahangir 49).
Information systems have been classified into three categories. These are Transactional Processing Systems (TPS), Management Information Systems (MIS) and the Expert Systems. The Management Information System is understood to have several branches such as Decision Support Systems (DSS) as well as the Executive Information System in which the two categories play different roles. A Decision Support system is a system which is understood to have the ability to analyze different types of data and then presenting it in a manner which eanables the user to make decisions in extra effective and competent manner. DSS can be said to be an informational application which relies mainly on the existing information in giving answers to individual queries. Due to the broadness of th...
... middle of paper ...
...e best decisions are considered as on the other hand the new ones are done away with. Other important aspects of MIS are its ability to give actual updates on existence in the system. Also, Management Information Systems are very essential since they improve the company securities and also it can be used in monitoring and fixing problems among other key aspects (Al-Zhrani 1149).
Al-Zhrani, S. "Journal of Computer Science." Management information systems role in decision-making during crises:case study (2010): 1149-1251.
Chambers, R. J. "Management Technology." The role of information systems in decision making (2004): 15-173.
Jahangir, K. Improving organizational best practice with information systems.Knowledge Management Review. 2 October 2010. 5 October 2016.
Jawadekar. Management information systems: Texts and cases. New York, NY: McGraw Hill, 2006.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Features and functions of information systems What is an information system. It’s a mixture of technical and human resources that are able to perform a variety of purposes from information and technology within an organisation/company to support its processes. They’re able to handle all incoming and outgoing information needed. There is a more specific type of information for managing information in an organisation called a Management Information System (MIS). Features Data: Data needs to be entered into an information system so it can be managed and processed so that the company will use to improve their performance.... [tags: Systems theory, System, Data, Information systems]
788 words (2.3 pages)
- As demonstrated in figure 1, the IMIS is composed of sub systems that operate within the inter-ministerial arrangement. Through the establishment of an inter-sectors flow of information, the system links the Ministry of Higher Education with other government agencies that have interests in the higher educational sectors. The IMIS coordinates information resources and integrates the various sources into one harmonized system that serves the Ministry of Higher Education handling the high education matters.... [tags: Information systems, Management, System]
839 words (2.4 pages)
- Answer to Question 1 Introduction Organizations whether profit oriented or not are becoming increasingly dependent on computerised information systems in carrying out their day-to-day activities. A proper application of this process of business digitalization is helping improve customer experience and reducing long-term cost of running businesses and other organizations. A management information system (MIS), according to Shelly, Cashman and Vermaat, (2008) is an information system that generates accurate, timely and organized information so managers and other users can make decisions, solve problems, supervise activities, and track progress.... [tags: information, recording data, output]
1418 words (4.1 pages)
- John Lewis businesses needs multiple of information systems so that they can perform effectively. There are 4 type of information systems such as: Executive information system, Decision support system, Management information system, Transaction processing system Executive information system Executive information system is placed at the top origination level. This kind of information system is not only for CEO’s but for any senior manager where they work at John Lewis and they must know how to improve the company.... [tags: Information systems, Decision theory]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- Computer based information systems are an important part of the world today. We use them to make educated decisions that would have been just plain guesses in years past. We use them to collect data from all sorts of different sources and to turn all that raw data into useful information. The information that is created is shown to us in many ways. It can be in the form of reports, graphs, images, or even sounds. They can even help an organization gain a competitive edge on their rivals. Organizations can use computer based information systems to gather consumer data to judge which of their products is selling the best to get a feel for what they should be working on next.... [tags: Computer, Operating system, Internet, Information]
863 words (2.5 pages)
- The Requirements for Developing and Managing a Comprehensive Management Information System The aim of this assignment is to see the requirements for developing and managing a comprehensive Management Information system for an organisation. In today's business environment it is getting harder and harder for organisation’s to not only survive but to compete against other organisation’s. Information technology plays a big part in helping companies compete and survive. Companies that have branches or franchises need to make sure that they can communicate with the head office so that orders can be passed down.... [tags: Businesses Information Systems Technology Essays]
4383 words (12.5 pages)
- eHealth Information Systems Study For the purpose of our report we have chose the Department of Health and Ageing’s eHealth system. This choice differs slightly from the instructions of the assignment as eHealth is not a current information system - i.e. it is still being designed and implemented. The key motivation behind decision was we assumed management would much rather a report on a new and upcoming system than one they would most probably already know about. If we have to write a report to management, they don’t need analysis of their current systems, they should know them – so we have decided to why to provide some analysis on a system currently being implemented.... [tags: Information System Analysis]
1644 words (4.7 pages)
- Introduction According to the given task, it is expected to create the database for the management of the company. Such organization as dentist clinic has chosen for development. In order to collect information, many sources with such kinds of clinics were investigated and used for this purpose. The main ones are http://www.medtorgrf.ru and http://www.mosdental.ru, in which necessary medicines, instruments and main procedures were revealed for the implementation of dental activity. Besides, it is necessary to identify the types of systems to which the designed database belongs.... [tags: Dental Information Systems]
2781 words (7.9 pages)
- 1. INTRODUCTION Today, Information systems have come a long way in creating new services and provided solutions and a better chance for certain issues facing automobile industry. Automobile Industries have taken advantage of this to bring into more desirable and excellent operations, improve value to their products and to their customers, as well as enable new business standard, style and image. In this research paper, we will explore the use of Information Systems in vehicles, the arrangement of Information Systems to sustain business operations of manufacturers, and the effect of doing so on automobile industries.... [tags: Information Systems Research]
2978 words (8.5 pages)
- Computer Information Systems Once upon a time, way back when in the caveman era, caveman used drawings on walls to keep track of information and to communicate with each other in the clan of one's life-span. Over time, man have improved and evolved in the way of keeping track of information and communicating with one another. Today, one finds himself more in an automated world than he did 25 years ago. When planning to purchase a computer, one must take in consideration all possibilities, options, and accessories that one could receive along with the computer.... [tags: Data Information System IS Technology]
1760 words (5 pages)