“Think like a queen, a queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness.” Oprah Winfrey let the world know that when one fails at something, he/she can always keep trying till he/she gets it right. Being a victim to some negative situations in life did not stop her from being who she is today. Oprah has an outstanding personality and she serves as a role model to so many people. Even though Oprah Winfrey publicly criticizes overweight women including herself, she has a positive influence on the society because she is a great leader, she has impacted the society through the media, television and movies and her philanthropic efforts have gone a long way to help a lot of people.
“The struggle of my life created empathy – I could relate to pain, being abandoned, having people not love me.” Oprah also had an intriguing life just like many other leaders. She is an undoubtable superior leader because she went through many tough times while growing up but she never gave up. She was born to unwed teenage parents who later separated and left her with her grandmother. She was poor and while growing up, she was sexually abused and she bore a premature baby which later died. All these traumatic events added to her obstacles but in spite of all this, she has become one of the most successful people in the world. Rather than focusing on the negative aspects of her life, she chose to forge ahead with positivity and optimism. Instead of letting all the negative energy weigh down on her, she moved and excelled in school and got scholarships to the University of Tennessee. Her positive energy and optimistic outlook contributed to who she is today. In one of her quotes she says: “Whe...
... middle of paper ...
...lly and created "The Oprah Winfrey Scholars Program," which gives scholarships to students determined to use their education to give back to their communities in the United States and abroad. Oprah 's commitment to children also led her to initiate the National Child Protection Act in 1991, when she testified before the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee to establish a national database of convicted child abusers. On December 20, 1993, President Clinton signed the national "Oprah Bill" into law (Associated Press).
Oprah is a role model and so many women look up to her. This means that she is supposed to lead by example but she sees herself as overweight and this makes some fat women feel uncomfortable about their bodies. Despite this, she still stands out as a great leader, a great entertainer and a great philanthropist; thus she has a positive influence on the society.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- How can one person, whom most people have never met, influence the lives of people in the world today in such positive ways. Oprah Winfrey has been able to persuade and inspire many people around the world today because she has simply believed in herself and the good of the people. Oprah once said, “Create the highest, grandest vision possible for your life because you become what you believe” (Lowe 170). The Oprah Winfrey Show, The Angel Network, and Oprah’s Book Club have been some of the most indoctrinating pieces of work by Oprah.... [tags: essays research papers]
1079 words (3.1 pages)
- Pop culture is appreciating more than what is at the cinemas or what singers are the most popular. It is reflective of the political atmosphere and social opinions of the nation. Which affect various people in different ways. Oprah was just a small Chicago women with a corrupted childhood that in 1984 turned to host a WLS-TV 's morning talk show AM, Chicago. Which became the number one local talk show, then in less than a year turned into the famous hour long show "The Oprah Winfrey Show". Oprah Gail Winfrey is one of the countless people set out in the world of pop culture.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show]
1668 words (4.8 pages)
- "With every experience, you alone are painting your own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice"(Winfrey). Oprah Winfrey is a very important woman in our lifetime and has influenced many people, and will for years to come. Oprah has changed a multitude of people, and made a difference in our world and society. From growing up in a poor home, to changing her life around and others around her, there are several ways that Oprah can relate to the average person. Many people in today’s society understand what being “poor” feels like.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Talk show]
798 words (2.3 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey's public speaking career began with reciting verses in church at the age of three. Today, at the age of 51, she is America's most popular talk show host, owns a popular magazine and cable TV channel, received an Academy Award nomination, and is ranked by Forbes magazine as the ninth most powerful woman in the world. Her path in life, that led from a broken home and abused childhood to becoming the first African-American woman billionaire, is a story of unrelenting determination mixed with a true caring for people.... [tags: Biography Oprah]
1669 words (4.8 pages)
- ... At just nineteen years old, Oprah felt she wouldn’t be able to handle the pressure, so she turned down the offer. However, the station was persistent and Oprah eventually agreed. With great salary for someone her age, and a natural talent, this job seemed like a dream, but not everyone was thrilled with her position on the station. During an interview with a white shopkeeper, Oprah tried to shake the man’s hand, but he refused (Taibi). She shook it off with a witty remark and kept her composure, showing how professional she is.... [tags: world-famous talk show, magazines]
1524 words (4.4 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey is an African American woman who is known as a U.S. media celebrity. She has done so much to contribute to society as we know it and her legacy will forever live on. Mrs. Winfrey is well known and she uses her platform for positivity and love, which is a huge reason for her success. She is an intelligent leader who worked hard for the spot she has in life and strives to encourage others to be successful also. Mrs. Winfrey has written books, acted and produced films, hosted an infamous television show, and given to charities.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, Talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show]
2675 words (7.6 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey is an inspiration to many all around the world. She did not have a very good home life up until the age of 14. She was abused as a child and did not see her mother very often because she was a housemaid who was gone almost every day all day. Vernon Winfrey, Oprah’s father, was a big service in her life when it came to keeping her in a nonviolent manner. Oprah also had her career going for her when she became Miss Black Tennessee at age 17. When Oprah became Miss Black Tennessee she was offered a radio broadcasting job and a full scholarship to Tennessee.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954. Her home has been at Santa Barbra, California. She lives there with her partner, Stedman Graham. Oprah is a renowned talk show host, actress, American media proprietor, producer and philanthropist. The Oprah Winfrey show, multi-award winning talk show is what this great philanthropist is best known for. This show was the highest ranked show of its kind, being syndicated nationally in the period 1986-2011 (Winfrey 3). She is currently the CEO and owner of Oprah Winfrey Network.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey Essays]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- This is a Jeep Super Bowl commercial from 2013 featuring Oprah Winfrey as the narrator. We are in times of undeclared war and we miss our troops and want them to come back and Oprah is basically telling them that they aren’t forgotten. It shows the families of troops being home missing someone and showing the hole the troop has left since their departure. It is a battle the families fight as they miss their soldier while they are out fighting the other half of the battle. When the troops return to their families they fill that hole again and our nation is reunited.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, Talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey was January 29, 1954. She spent the beginning of her childhood on her Grandmother 's farm in Kosciusko, Mississippi because her mom was looking for work in the north. Her grandmother taught her how to read it as an infant. By the age of three she was reciting poems and the Bible at her grandmother 's church. When she was six she had to move to Milwaukee to stay with her mother. Her mother was a housemaid and was always absent from the home. While Oprah was at home alone, she was abused and molested by her male relatives and other male friends of her relatives.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Talk show]
1212 words (3.5 pages)