One only has to turn on the television and really watch a program to understand the hidden set of ideals in the show. For instance, I have watched the show The Secret Life of the American Teenager since I worked with the youth at our church several years ago. It continues to appall me how the parents on the show continually let their children tell them what they (the children) are going to do. Grace’s mother let Grace spend the night at her boyfriend’s house—even though the mother did not really want her to do it (The Secret Life of the American Teenager). The show’s main theme is sex, sex, and more sex. Every female teenager on the show but one is sexually active, one girl had a child at age 15, and a 17-year-old is getting ready to deliver (The Secret Life of the American Teenager). All of the boys are sexually active, too. However, what shocked me the most was when the “Christian” mother told her daugh...
... middle of paper ...
...ywood Reporter. Web. 11 May 2011.
“Wal-Mart v. women: no company is too big to be held accountable.” New York Times 7 Apr. 2011: A26(L). Academic OneFile. Web. 11 May 2011.
West, Kanye. Lyrics. “Monster.” My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. CD. Island Def Jam. 20 November 2010. Directly Lyrics. Web. 2 June 2011.
“Where are the female politicians?.” The Wilson Quarterly 35.2 (Spring 2011): 74(2). Academic OneFile. Gale. University of Alabama – Tuscaloosa. 11 May 2011.
“Which Religion is Bad for Women?” States News Service (15 Feb 2011): NA. Academic OneFile. Gale. University of Alabama – Tuscaloosa. 11 May 2011.
“‘WOMEN ARE VETS TOO’ bumper stickers.” pqcortley. Web. 2 June 2011.
“Wyoming Health Care Facility Settles EEOC Pregnancy Discrimination Suit.” States News Service (2 May 2011): NA. Academic OneFile. Gale. University of Alabama – Tuscaloosa. 11 May 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Indicators that may Enhance Community Health Inside any type of community there are many indicators of health, but now I am going to focus only in five of them. The proper good health of communities it is a very strong matter for governments and society in general. This indicators are important because gives us objectives, data, and resources to guide us in what are the mains community problems when we talk about health. The five indicators that I am going to discuss are: access to health services, physical activities, nutrition and weight status, sexual transmitted diseases, and immunization and infectious diseases.... [tags: Indicators, Exercise, Nutrition]
1056 words (3 pages)
- Society has considered women inferior to men since the beginning of time. In private life as well as in public life, society holds women dependent on men, especially relatives. The increased subjugation of women degrades women to second-class citizens, or in some cases objects. Men, especially in time of war, subjugate women. Society, whether in times of war or not, should not be accept this form of expression as the norm or considered it acceptable. Women are equals to men and provide a valuable resource; therefore, they should not be inferior to men.... [tags: taliban, women status, gilead]
958 words (2.7 pages)
- Corinthians 14:34 states, “Let the women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but let them be in subjection, as also saith the law” (Holy Bible, King James Edition). Edith Hamilton, "recognized as the greatest woman Classicist", says that the Bible is the only book before our century that looked to women as human beings, no better nor worse than men (Tanner). However, it cannot be said that this book was consistently favorable to women. Maybe not absolutely, but conditionally in personal opinion, the Bible shows numerous examples of a woman’s inferiority to men, an assessment that has been translated into the cultures of generations.... [tags: Status of Women in the Bible]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Obesity among Hispanic Latino women between the ages of twenty and sixty-four years old is a current health disparity in the United States. Nutrition, physical activity and obesity are one of the twelve leading health indicators categorized as significant public health issues by Healthy People 2020. Obesity is classified as anyone who exceeds body mass index (BMI) of thirty. According to Women’s Health, three in four Latino women are overweight or obese ("Overweight and obesity," 2010). Compared to other ethnicities, Hispanic Latino women were 1.36 times more likely to be overweight/obese than non-Hispanic white women (Vahratian, 2009).... [tags: nutrition, physical activity, health, diet]
2657 words (7.6 pages)
- Throughout the period of the Shakespearean stage, there were many plays that led viewers and critics to question sexual identity and gender roles in not just his plays, but many other plays as well. For early modern England at this time, cross-dressing was looked at as a dramaturgical motif, a theatrical practice, and a social phenomenon. “In Shakespeare’s day, a cross-dressed heroine, like any female character also involved a gender switch in the world of the playhouse, for women’s roles were normally assigned to young male apprentices called play-boys” (Shapiro, 1).... [tags: Sexual Disguise]
2910 words (8.3 pages)
- Introduction Women’s rights and societal roles have varied throughout history. Yet, a common theme that is notable across many times and cultures is the notion that women are inferior to men. In ancient Greece, the opinion toward women followed this trend, and women were often overlooked in how they could contribute to society. It was rarely considered that the traits women share could be of use beyond their household duties. In this essay I will analyze the Platonic and Aristotelian views on the role and status of women.... [tags: Women’s societal roles in Ancient Greece]
3397 words (9.7 pages)
- Women There are several ways one can look at the status of women in any society. During the last decade at least three approaches, not necessarily mutually exclusive, were discernible. One was to examine the common demographic indicators that give an overall picture of women's relative standing vis-à-vis men. According to the 1981 census, the se ratio stood at 933 females per 1000 males. The literacy rate was 46.89 per cent for males and 24.82 per cent for females. The life expectancy at birth for females was 50 years and for males it was 50.9 years.... [tags: essays papers]
1799 words (5.1 pages)
- Introduction: In today’s globalized world, women’s studies is emerging as a fast growing discipline which is not restricted any more to the academia but is significantly capturing the attention of the civil society. The way civil society responded to “Nirbhaya” gang-rape case of December, 2012 in Delhi; the way people came on the streets in protest against this horrific and barbarous crime committed against a 23 year old woman; this people’s movement has undoubtedly engineered the emergence of a new consciousness among us about the need for a realization of women’s honour and dignity in the society.... [tags: Women and Islam]
2801 words (8 pages)
- Abstract Women empowerment is much talked about an issue by academicians, political thinkers and social scientists as regards to concepts like gender equality, financial independence, social inclusion, power etc. However there is a dire need of conceptual clarity of the term empowerment. This can be done by delineating it with the above overlapping concepts and suggesting inclusive approach towards enabling women themselves to critically review their own situation and participate in creating and shaping the society as agents of change themselves.... [tags: essays research papers]
3231 words (9.2 pages)
- Status of Women in Indian Society The worth of a civilization can be judged by the place given to women in the society. One of several factors that justify the greatness of India's ancient culture is the honorable place granted to women. The Muslim influence on India caused considerable deterioration in the status of women. They were deprived of their rights of equality with men. Raja Ram Mohan Roy started a movement against this inequality and subjugation. The contact of Indian culture with that of the British also brought improvement in the status of women.... [tags: Middle East Culture Papers]
2072 words (5.9 pages)