Do you want to update your friends on the movie you just saw? A few strokes on any keyboard or phone and a click of a button can make that happen; overall the process takes only about thirty seconds. What if you want to download the new Jennifer Lopez song on your iPod? Do not worry, that process is similarly as swift as the first one. Events like these are a very common occurrence in the lives of children ages eight to eighteen today. Technology has provided them the ability to do these types of things very quickly, but this is proving to develop a bad cycle amongst young users. Leigh Goessl, a writer for the online sector of Helium with an MBA in technology, explains that technology encourages instant gratification (Goessl 2). As earlier depicted, children are accustomed to getting what they want instantly with technology, and that...
... middle of paper ...
...al troubles are plaguing children everywhere; help a child to be independent today and avoid future dependence on these machines.
Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 21 April 2011. Data and Statistics – obesity rate among all children in the United States. National Health and Nutrition Examination.
Goessl, Leigh. 21 Feb. 2010. Pros and Cons of Technology for Children. Helium- Where Knowledge Rules. 1-2.
Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF). 20 January 2010. M2 – Media in the Live of 8 – 18 Year-olds. Program for the Study of Media and Health. 2-39.
Skeele, R., & Stefankiewicz, G. 2002. Blackbox in the sandbox: The decision to use technology with young children with annotated bibliography of Internet resources for teachers of young children. Educational Technology Review, [Online serial], 10(2), 79 - 86.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It is so obviously clear that technology is taking over and running our life. Technology is everywhere and is having massive negative effects on our social wellbeing in today’s society. Basic essential skills now being googled as this knowledge is now untaught or forgotten leaving us terribly deficient in basic survival skills. Social media now also gaining thousands of new users to impress and socialize every second online with instead of having face to face conversations with someone in real life.... [tags: technology dependent]
917 words (2.6 pages)
- The Human Race: Dependent on Technology Technology has become such an important facet to our daily lives, without it, our world would be significantly different. Having this accessibility to the internet, social networks, adult dating sites and youtube help us stay connected with old and new loved ones. All this information and online technology tends to have us living in an online world. Making our human race has become overly dependent on gadgets such as smartphones, computers, smart tv’s, laptops, wifi and video gaming systems over the past few years.... [tags: Sociology, Internet, Human, Website]
715 words (2 pages)
- People feel the need to be dependent on technology. Humans are very lazy people. Their mind set is more like simply, if something that is easier to do rather than hard, they want to take the easier way out. The more that people develop in technology the lazier they get. They do less sports, sit around, don’t want to leave their house, nor do they want to do anything if they can do everything in their house. Today, they can get almost the same experience at home as they could when doing it themselves.... [tags: Want, Need, Turn, WANT]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Is Society Too Dependent on Technology. How many of you think technology is necessary in your life. Would you feel the same way if you knew, how often children get tortured because of it. I don 't think so. Technology based companies such as Apple and Samsung usually tell people having technology or anything electronic can change your life in a positive way. Ok, I admit that 's true. But it could also be a weapon of violence, it could cause millions of children to get hurt every single day. They are many way 's technology can create alifetime of pain for a lot of kids’.... [tags: Carbon dioxide, Climate change, Greenhouse gas]
895 words (2.6 pages)
- Is Society Too Dependent on Technology. Society has become too dependent on technology; could you go a day without your cell phone. Technology has led to genetic mutation, what’s next. Our daily lives are biased completely around technology. Technology needs to be reduced as much as possible it is contrary to god, humans, nature, and technology itself. With the uproar of technology in the past decade professors have dumbed down the courses because students aren’t able to process information like they used to.... [tags: Human, Science, Thought, Nassim Nicholas Taleb]
959 words (2.7 pages)
- ... New interaction ways assisted by cell phones and social networks like Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp help teens psychosocially to get rid of bad feelings as stress, boredom, loneliness and restraint. For this reason, teenagers who bury their faces in cell phones and laptops feel much more comfortable in the virtual world than they do in real world but eventually they become asocial, irritable and non-confident in real-world situations and they do not rely on their peers (Verial, “Internet Addiction”).... [tags: promoting a sedentray lifestyle, social media]
1624 words (4.6 pages)
- Are we too dependent on technology. Yes or No. Finally I am able to describe my opinion in the situation, if whether or not society is becoming too dependent on technology. I believe that most of the times technology is helpful in carrying on everyday life, but at times technology isn’t really needed. Technology is used a lot to communicate, but some families don’t even spend time together and later just fall apart. To me medical technology is a very important factor to account for in this situation.... [tags: weakening relationships, distractions]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- E- Learning is a very useful tool when it come to train all kinds of individuals but there are some disadvantages to it as well. There are many issues when it come to E- learning, The most common issue is that E-Learning is dependent on technology. This is an issue because what if the traineer doesn 't have the ability to access the learning tool For example internet, more and more E-learning programs require the internet at some time. Well what happens when the trainer doesnt have access to the internet or the internet fails.... [tags: Skill, Learning, Training, Psychology]
1128 words (3.2 pages)
- In Love with Technology When taking a closer look at really how dependent we, as a general society, are so in love with our technology and in reality how scary it is how much we use this tool to run almost every aspect of our lives. I feel that I could not go out anywhere, even right now, not find some direct correlation of technology influencing my path from A to B. In no sense am I a extremist believing that technology is the devil and will ultimately lead us to our downfall, but I can open my eyes every once and a while and truly see how much of our world is governed by these “great” innovations.... [tags: Technology]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- Dependent upon Technology Have you ever stopped to wonder when our generation became so overly dependent upon technology. Was it when the desktop computer came out. Maybe it was the beeper. No I’m pretty sure it was the cell phone. In today’s new age of technology you can easily store important items to a hard drive, research doesn’t come from libraries, and video games are no longer on just your TV. Everyone fears the zombie apocalypse but haven’t realized it’s already begun. For instance, instead of your nose in a book, it’s on your phone.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Rotary dial]
788 words (2.3 pages)