Incat’s wave piercing catamarans are an innovation of the catamaran through design and materials. The original catamaran where made to be a fast and stable two hulled boat, although on choppy seas they where unable to maintain this stability. Incat’s catamaran uses wave-piercing technology to increase the catamarans speed and stability, through the innovation of a wave-piercing center bow, Incat has never patented its center bow design, relying instead on keeping ahead of the technology in this field.
The wave piercing catamaran’s centre bow, is designed so that the buoyancy in the forward portions are reduced, due to this when it is approached by a wave due to the lack of buoyancy in the forward proportions of the bow it results in the bow piercing through the water instead of riding over the top. Due to this it provides a smoother ride and reduce the boats wave making resistance that slows down the boat, The two outer hulls of the catamaran known as a SWARTH is designed to minimize the area of the hull cross-section at the oceans surface, this minimizes the surface area that wave are able to hit. This results in higher speeds and greater stability especially in rough seas.
The Incat wave piercing catamaran idea began in 1983, Phil Hercus in 1984 began development of a wave-piercing catamaran. This design combined the hull design called a SWARTH (Small Waterplane Area Twin Hull) with a center bow designed by Phil Hercus...
... middle of paper ...
.../teamaustralia/vessels_wave_piercing_catamaran.htm [Accessed: 24 Feb 2014].
Hhpinsight.com. 2014. Incat’s LNG Ferry – ‘World’s Fastest Ship’ | HHPInsight.com. [online] Available at: http://hhpinsight.com/marine/2013/06/incats-lng-ferry-worlds-fastest-ship/ [Accessed: 24 Feb 2014].
Incat.com.au. 2014. Incat Home. [online] Available at: http://www.incat.com.au [Accessed: 24 Feb 2014].
Powerhousemuseum.com. 2014. Wave Piercing Catamaran - Australia Innovates - Powerhouse Museum. [online] Available at: http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/australia_innovates/?behaviour=view_article&Section_id=1080&article_id=10089 [Accessed: 24 Feb 2014].
Wikipedia. 2014. HSC INCAT 046. [online] Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSC_INCAT_046 [Accessed: 24 Feb 2014].
Wikipedia. 2014. Swarth. [online] Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarth [Accessed: 24 Feb 2014].
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Three learning targets were pre-assessed: application of the wave speed equation, vocabulary, and wavelength measurements. The pre-assessment measured student ability to apply the wave speed equation v=λf when given the initial conditions that form standing waves. It also measured student knowledge of the vocabulary on the topic of standing waves, such as harmonics, nodes, and antinodes. Furthermore, it measured student ability to determine the wavelength of a standing wave. These three measured criteria are aligned to the Next Generation Science Standard HS-PS4-1, which requires the use of mathematical representations to support a claim regarding relationships among the frequency, wavelengt... [tags: Wavelength, Standing wave, Wave, Frequency]
840 words (2.4 pages)
- Personal Narrative Social Aspects of the Piercing Trend The world is a changing place and you never know what will become the new cool thing to do. Two universal ways of handling a situation are either to do so according to one's personal needs, or one can base a decision on how it will be seen by others. The vast majority of people fall on the side of being worried about what others are saying and thinking. People have a natural desire to belong, and to fit in with a certain group. No matter what group an individual chooses, that individual almost always is forced to sacrifice a part of them self in order to seem more a part of things.... [tags: Piercing, Expression]
317 words (0.9 pages)
- Can you get pleasure out of so much pain. This is the common question you would ask yourself if you were considering getting your body pierced. Body piercing has been around for thousands of years. People used to have body piercings for idol worship. For instance, in the Bible, Abraham’s grandson, Jacob, told all the people to cast off all of their body piercing jewelry because it was displeasing to God. He said that people were making a temple of their body and worshipping themselves and their bodies were for God and not themselves.... [tags: Pain, infection due to piercing]
371 words (1.1 pages)
- Third Wave Feminism The term “feminism” has been around for almost 200 years first meaning “the quality of females” and since then has been defined a multitude of ways. Today feminism can be defined by Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary as a noun meaning “the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities” (Feminism). This definition truly describes today’s feminism, third wave feminism. Third wave feminism first began in the 1990’s and is still present today. Third wave feminism is a movement to redefine words such as sexuality, gender, and gay that society had previously twisted into one correct meaning.... [tags: Feminism, Third-wave feminism, Gender]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- The term “feminism” has been around for almost 200 years first meaning “the quality of females” and since then has been defined a multitude of ways. Today, feminism can be defined by Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary as a noun meaning “the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities” (Feminism). This definition truly describes today’s feminism: third wave feminism. Third wave feminism first began in the 1990’s and is still present today. Third wave feminism is a movement to redefine the concepts of words like beauty, gender, and gay that society had previously twisted into one correct meaning.... [tags: Feminism, Third-wave feminism, Gender]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- In America the practice of body piercing is everywhere, especially among young people, who are getting several parts of their bodies pierced either as an affirmation of their personal individuality, as a means of sexual gratification or stimulation, a reclamation of their bodies from physical or emotional trauma, or for as a means of adornment. Whatever the reason, it's widespread. Body piercing is the piercing of the ears, nose, septum, cheeks, lip, tongue, nipples, navel, clitoris, labia, penis, and scrotum.... [tags: Body Piercing Fashion Trends Essays]
2119 words (6.1 pages)
- II. The second wave of feminists started movements that helped the poor, women, and anyone in need of help. Black feminist movements were contributed to aid in youth, protection of the people, and the well-being of an individual which was called the Black Feminist Organization in 1973 (Carabillo, Meuli and Csida 79). In the mid-seventies, the vast majority of foundations founded by women had programmed funding to the movements and was open to the public. Third wave feminism contrasts to the first wave and second wave of feminism because society has changed.... [tags: Feminism, Third-wave feminism, Women's suffrage]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- It is evident that not all young people are resilient when it comes to dealing with life's challenges, as it was displayed in the book The Wave' written by Morton Rhue. There were a majority of students who were not resilient with the wave and the challenges that emerged from it, such as Amy, Robert and David. The student that was surprisingly resilient was Laurie, who was also the main character of the story. Laurie was mentally and also physically strong at dealing with the consequences that upshot from the wave Such as the isolation from the entire school and her best friend, the break-up with her boyfriend and the discrimination and violence of being and as being an outsider'.... [tags: Rhue Wave]
1035 words (3 pages)
- Experiment in Literature in My Life with the Wave Octavio Paz’s extraordinary tale of "My Life with the Wave" is exactly about what the title states, a man’s life with a body of water. Paz experiments with the norm and takes literature to a higher level (Christ 375). He plays with our imagination from the start and lets us believe the man has stolen "a daughter of the sea." These two beings try to establish a relationship despite their extremely different backgrounds and in so doing take us on a journey of discovery.... [tags: My Life with the Wave]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- A Piercing Look at Society “If it sticks out, pierce it” is a motto for body piercing. In the past decade, body piercing has “steadily evolved” to be part of a trendy fashion statement that is spreading like Parkey throughout the American society. “Body piercing is an American style fad.” (Wattenberg) The influence of fashion is the most powerful pressure there is. The once rebel art of body piercing done only by so called “freaks” of society is now a trendy fashion practiced by many. The trend of body piercing was partially sparked by models and MTV.... [tags: essays research papers]
1622 words (4.6 pages)
- How Red Bull Uses Social Media
- Modern Communication Systems: Downward and Upward Communication
- Operation Iceberg: The Planning and Preparation for the Landing on Okinawa
- Impact of Irish Culture on U.S. Military Operations
- Teen Pregnancies in Hispanic Community
- Multinational Corporations Must Adapt their Marketing Strategies to Accommodate Local Preferences