Topic importance. Improving writing skills and proofreading skills of high school students has been discussed by many researchers all over the world. Students in high school today have almost an unlimited amount of information at their fingertips and practically live online. This online environment does not end when the students walk into the school building each morning; in fact, schools are increasing the amount of time students spend online every day. Several years ago, Granite School District introduced an online classroom for each teacher in the district. Every teacher has been trained to place lecture notes online, create assignments, send out announcements, and even give tests and quizzes through this online classroom. As more and more teachers begin to use this program on a daily basis, students are doing all kinds of school work online, almost every school day. This year, students’ involvement online for school has increased even more, at the research site, every English teacher in the school and several other teachers around the school have classroom sets of Chromebooks. Students are literally spending the entire class period online in some classes.
It is time that we use technology to help students learn, instead of distract the...
... middle of paper ...
...ng that is overly nitpicky and unnecessary, while others think and believe it is a vital part of the writing process. Proofreading needs to be looked at as an equally important step of the paper as any other part of the writing process, as a paper cannot be complete if the last and final step is skipped (Chromik, 2002). Will students be able to get help from teachers and writing centers on proofreading their work? Maybe. Access to teachers and writing centers will not always be available, so students must learn how to master proofreading for themselves.
Proofreading is a skill that will be necessary for a student to have after graduation from high school and college. If students are simply running a generic spell check on their written assignments before turning them in, they are missing out on important expertise that will be vital for the rest of their lives.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Globalisation allows individuals, groups, corporations, and countries to reach around the world farther, faster, more deeply, and more cheaply than ever before. Most large local companies regard globalisation as opportunity, thereby exploring overseas markets for maximum market share and optimum business strategies. However, managers would face a series of challenges caused by leadership models, cultural backgrounds, political and economic risks, HR management, etc. To study multinational management skills is very useful for my future career.... [tags: skills, study, communicating]
956 words (2.7 pages)
- Communication as today hasn’t been the same since last 30 years. If you wanted to communicate with others, before, your only options were to send a letter, a telegram, give a call or go in person. Sometime it takes time to receive a response by letter. Calling them, but they’re not home to answer. Sending a telegram may cost some money. The World Wide Web, or best known as the Internet has brought the revolution of technology it had impact how we communicate with others as today. Before the creation of the World Wide Web communication was different from now.... [tags: World Wide Web, Internet, Tim Berners-Lee]
1574 words (4.5 pages)
- Lean Six Sigma or Six Sigma There is always a debate in the business world as to whether lean six sigma or six sigma is the best suitable process to implement when it comes to organizing processes pertaining to business and eliminating wastes. Both these systems have their supporters, claiming theirs to be the best. On the other hand, some argue that both should be implemented for ensuring the success of any organization. For clearly understanding the debate, it is essential that the differences between the two systems should be understood.... [tags: Six Sigma, Lean manufacturing, Quality management]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- Alex Rogo has been a plant manager for the last six months at Unico, a nationwide manufacturing firm. One morning, Bill Peach, the division vice-president arrived early at the plant to enquire about the status of an order from Bucky Burnside, a customer of the firm. That order being seven weeks late was just the tip of a bigger problem inherent not only to the manufacturing plant but to the entire division. Indeed, every order was late in the plant and the division was facing the worst losses in its history.... [tags: Operating expense, Expense, Inventory]
3794 words (10.8 pages)
- Over the past three weeks, the course has focused on organizational teams and goal setting. The modern day company is made of multiple departments that are all interconnected. Within these departments, there are subject matter experts that serve as a part of a larger departmental team that is assigned to a specific function within the organization. A team is a group of individuals with complementary skills that depend upon one another to accomplish a common purpose or set of performance goals for which they hold themselves mutually accountable (Brown, 2011).... [tags: Goal, Organization, Pharmacy, Management]
852 words (2.4 pages)
- The fundamental objective of the Six Sigma methodology is the implementation of a measurement-based strategy that focuses on process improvement and variation reduction through the application of Six Sigma improvement projects. One of the ways that this is done through the DMAIC process (define, measure, analyze, improve, control) which is an improvement system for existing processes falling below specification and looking for improvement. Compared to the DMADV process (define, measure, analyze, design, verify), DMAIC uses the existing process as the baseline for a desired incremental improvement plan for the organization.... [tags: Six Sigma, Process capability, Business process]
713 words (2 pages)
- Using the SMART goal setting system will help you maintain focus on your short and long-term goals, which will help to keep you on track (Lewis, 2000, p. 15). Therefore, setting realistic goals is important to achieve realistic and timely outcomes. At this time, my short term goals are to complete the BSN program, while concurrently finishing rehabilitation for my back. Unfortunately, recovery is estimated to be 12 months, therefore, I still have around 6 months left in the process. In addition, I anticipate graduating from the BSN program in the fall.... [tags: Goal, Time, Term, Academic dress]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- Lean Six Sigma training offerings vary greatly. Offerings include 5 days to get certified as a Black Belt (guaranteed) all the way up to 20+ days of training with no guarantees unless the student demonstrates competency over following months. Offerings also include Green Belt level courses with a bundle of six sigma tools all the way up to Green Belt training that includes a comprehensive array of both lean, six sigma and facilitative leadership methods. Which one do you buy into. Which one will serve you best.... [tags: Six Sigma, Lean manufacturing, Manufacturing]
1315 words (3.8 pages)
- The book tells us the story of a plant manager, Alex Rogo, who is trying to save his plant, at least show some improvements within 90 days to keep it open. Alex's primary problem is that his plant can not consistently get a quality product out of the plant on time at the cost that can beat the competition. His plant is losing money and if he cannot make it profitable, the management eventually will decide to close the plant. In his fight to save his plant, a physician, Jonah, helps him in achieving his objectives.... [tags: Goal Business Book Summary]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- Tom Clancy Rainbow Six This book was published by G.P. Putnam's Sons in New York, USA. Copyright date is 1998. There are 740 pages in this book. Thomas L. Clancy, Jr. was born on the 12th of April 1947, he is married and lives in Maryland, USA. Clancy's novels can be classified as Military-Techno-Thrillers. He has written fiction and non-fiction books, Rainbow Six is a fiction book. As for other titles, well there are just to many to list, in total 23. Some books that he has written are The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, to list a few.... [tags: Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Author Book Summary Review]
1436 words (4.1 pages)