When you first enter into the NHS, the lobby is a large open space, with skylights, a small non-profit pet supply store, and further back in the lobby a “cattery.” The cattery is a unique feature to the shelter. It is a glassed in adoption area, which reduces disease due to close environments and exposure, as well as prevent stress that may occur when visitors attempt to play/poke traditional wire cages. Stray cats, not yet awaiting adoption, are kept in individual kennels in another area of the facility. The stray cattery can house up to 140 cats. Both the dogs awaiting adoption and the stray dogs are kept in individual 14 foot kennel runs, do...
... middle of paper ...
...maha and the surrounding areas.
The NHS is an ideal example of how our culture and outlook towards companion animals is constantly evolving. NHS does not simply house or attempt to move animals through their system as quickly as possible without considering the potential physical and mental dangers to the animals and their owners. Instead, NHS provides each animal that arrives at its doors with care and compassion that goes above and beyond the mandated duties, in an attempt to ensure that the animals do not return back to the shelter. NHS has multiple programs and policies to ensure that each individual animal is provided both mental and physical health benefits, and can be placed in a loving forever home.
Nebraska Humane Society. (2014). Nebraska Humane Society....Join the Humane Race. Retrieved from http://www.nehumanesociety.org/site/PageServer
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “A HUMANE SOCIATY” What separates the human race from all creation. Many will say that the ability to reason and capacity to know what is wright and wrong makes humanity different from everything else. But, for a while now, humanity has chosen to disregard these qualities and become blind to the horrifying product of this decision. Social media has made it very clear that our words affect others and is important to be mindful of them. The news show that even in the 21st century humans can be very cruel in 1st world or 3rd world countries.... [tags: Short story, The Lottery, Shirley Jackson]
1201 words (3.4 pages)
- Scottsbluff, Nebraska is a small rural community in western Nebraska that developed based on the fundamentals of agriculture. As of 2012, the population of Scotts Bluff County was 36,964. From the total population, farmers make up a large percent of the individuals included in this population. According to the 2007 Census of Agriculture, there were 730 farms in Scotts Bluff County, located over a total of 360,286 acres of land. This makes the average farm size in 2007, 494 acres (Scotts Bluff County Nebraska, 2007).... [tags: farms, society, community]
2040 words (5.8 pages)
- Humane society The humane society is a nonprofit organization, which is a corporation or an association that conducts business for the benefit of the general public without shareholders and without a profit motive. The humane society is also a 501c, a nonprofit American tax-exempt organization. It was founded in 1954 by Fred Myers (1904-1963), its first name was the National Humane Society, later named The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). Their first mission was to decrease suffering of livestock during slaughter.... [tags: non profit organizations, Fred Myers]
746 words (2.1 pages)
- ... One particular god, Horus, was needed to maintain order against chaos, the god Set. Therefore, a complex set of rituals were required to be performed by humans to sustain Horus in his battle against chaos (Ludwig, p326-327). Likewise, a variety of rituals common in ancient Mesopotamia were vial to harmonize the gods and goddesses to better ensure a stable cosmos (Ludwig, p329). Additionally, The Great Flood Story further validates to importance of harmony not only between the gods but also between the gods and humans.... [tags: theory, practice, sacred]
712 words (2 pages)
- Volunteering is a very good deed that can help change the community, help family and friends, and help an organization a lot. Volunteering will give you a chance to give back to the community and really help some people or animals that are in great need of help. An organization that I researched and stands out the most to me is the Lee County Humane Society. The Lee County Humane Society has a great need for dog walking volunteers. I would love to volunteer for this organization because I love animals so much.I think it would be fun to walk different breeds of dogs that I might otherwise never get to become familiar with.... [tags: 2006 singles, English-language films]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
- An Ordinary but Impressive Worker Throughout our life, we encounter different kinds of people. Although most people around us are strangers who we do not know their names, sometimes they may make a deep impression on us due to their actions as well as attitude towards life. Some people are influenced by the family, friends, and teachers because they are someone who we spend a lot of time with. As for me, when I was ten, I met an ordinary worker who was quite strange to me, and she had a profound influence on my life.... [tags: Old age, Middle age, Homelessness, Walking]
959 words (2.7 pages)
- Dempster Industries has been a fixture in the Beatrice business community since the late 19th Century. For years Nebraska has been known for its vast amounts of farms and crop fields. Without the proper equipment, farmers would not be able to maintain their farms and thrive. When technology was limited and all farm work was done without the use of high-tech machinery, an assortment of tools was required to make the family farm profitable. With this in mind, Charles Dempster started Dempster Industries in 1878.... [tags: Nebraska]
1877 words (5.4 pages)
- The Oakville-Milton Humane Society is a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to providing shelter for stray, abandon, and injured animals. Located in the region of Halton, the Oakville-Milton Humane Society has become the most recognized and affective humane society within the region. It was founded in 1936 and has since grown and developed a reliable relationship with members of the community. The shelter is funded through donations and sponsorships from members and corporations within the community.... [tags: organizational analysis]
1658 words (4.7 pages)
- “No matter how vicious the crime, no matter how vile the criminal, some death penalty opponents feel certain that nobody can ever deserve to die -- even if that person burned children alive, massacred a dozen strangers in a movie theater, or bombed the Boston Marathon. Other opponents admit the worst of the worst of the worst do deserve to die. They just distrust the government ever to get it right.”(Blecker, Robert 1) What is capital punishment, but insight into human morals and our sense of justice.... [tags: Capital punishment, Lethal injection, Hanging]
1944 words (5.6 pages)
- How does animal neglect affect the community. Everyone has heard those commercials about animal abuse and how animals need homes, yet you don’t see very many of them. Let alone hear very many people that are actually inspired enough to go out and help. Animal neglect has a rapid spreading rate once it is accepted by even a few and results in increased amounts of violence and other aggressive behavior towards the animals themselves and people. Animals are constantly being neglected because people do not believe they could ever be equals and that they have to assert their dominance by physical or mentally abusing that animal.... [tags: dogs, humane society, neutering]
663 words (1.9 pages)