Imported foods in the U.S have tripled in the past decade. This has made it difficult for regulators to inspect the safety of all products that were consumed in America. A great percentage of the food bought in America come from abroad. Close to eighty percent of active pharmaceutical ingredients and finished drugs come from nations outside America. Importation of foods from outside countries pose a great risk on the health and lives of both animals and individuals in the U.S. according to a research carried out on the risks associated on food importation, it was discovered that a certain number of animals and people in America die while others suffer from serious infections obtained from some imported foods. In 2008, there were some reported cases where cats and dogs were stricken by tainted pet food while people died from contaminations in certain drugs. In both incidents, the ingredients were found to have been imported from China (In Curtis, 2013).
In response to this, the Public Health Security through the Bioterrorism act directs the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to take additional measures to protect the public from all terrorist attacks on food supply and all other food related emergencies. FDA is the food regulatory agency of the department of Health and Human Services and has the mandate to receive prior notification of food that is imported, including animal feed, in the United States. Prior notice of import shipments give chance to the FDA, through the support of the U.S Custom and Border Protection to focus on import inspections with much effectiveness and help protect the state’s food supply against acts of terror and all other public health emergencies. The FDA food safety act was signe...
... middle of paper ...
...tories. FDA is therefore developing a program to accreditation of the laboratory as part of implementation actions (Edelstein, 2009).
The government has lounged a website on food safety that provides the latest food safety alerts and recalls from both USDA and FDA (Gale et al., 2009). Applications can be downloaded through phones to enable people get the recalls by going to the specific website. Imported food has posed great risks to the U.S citizens while certain organizations have developed strategies for ensuring food safety for all Americans. Several measures have been taken to ensure that all imported foods match the safety standards of foods manufactured in the U.S. consumers and health care professionals have been encouraged to report all side effects or medication errors realized from the use of both the approved and unproved food and drug substances in U.S
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- According to FDA Food Safety Modernization Act, inspection and compliance is mandated for food producers and processors. FSMA established mandated inspection frequency. All high-risk domestic food facilities must be inspected within the first five years and not less than three years after that. Not only local facilities, the FDA is planning to inspect at least 600 in first year and double the inspection every year for the next five years (Nutrition 2016c). AIB International, SQF Institute, and BRC like private food safety and quality certification organizations establish certain criteria to evaluate food manufacturing facilities.... [tags: Food safety, Food]
964 words (2.8 pages)
- While scandals of contaminated food continue to reach front page of Chinese and the international media, citizens not only care about safety but also quality. In the last few years, attention has been focused on food safety regulations, although the attention is shifting towards food quality due to the demands of the bourgeois society (Good Food 2013). The well-off Chinese and the rising middle class conform the market for organic food, who are also concerned about nutritious alimentation. Hence, the loss of confidence on national brands positions AF into an enormous advantage in the Chinese Market.... [tags: Organic food, Organic certification]
1154 words (3.3 pages)
- The food crisis in the UAE is a developing issue that is directly related to the economic crisis. The food crisis isn’t as severe as it can be although it has affected the poverty stricken communities. The lack of agriculture and high prices of imported food has made it difficult for the poor communities to afford the food. The food crisis is just not related to non-availability of food, it is also related to the worsened quality of food. The unhealthy food is making its way in the market as there is an absence of healthy food in the country.... [tags: Poverty, Agriculture, Food security, Food]
884 words (2.5 pages)
- Evelyn Soto 8/12/14 Essay For decades the United States of America has stressed the importance of food safety by discovering and preventing outbreaks. Fifteen states have united with the CDC food safety programs to get ahead of persevering foodborne epidemics. The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) empowers the FDA to better defend public health by firming up the food safety system. Congress has shown explicit enactment dates in the legislation. Some establishments will go into effect swiftly, such as the FDA’s new ability to command companies to recall food, and others entail the FDA to concoct and distribute regulations and guidance documents.... [tags: Food, Food safety, United States, Food security]
1628 words (4.7 pages)
- “There are no seasons in the American supermarket. Now there are tomatoes all year round, grown halfway around the world, picked when it was green and ripened with ethylene gas. Although it looks like a tomato, it’s kind of a notional tomato. I mean, it’s the idea of a tomato” (Michael Pollan). In the past couple of years people have been really interested in knowing, not where their food comes from but how it is produced. Most of the time we eat foods and do not know how exactly their made or what is in them because they’re not labeled.... [tags: Genetically modified food, Maize, Allergy]
1948 words (5.6 pages)
- Do you wonder where your food comes or how is it sent to millions of stores in a short time. Well, many of you may say it comes from grocery stores in your particular liking and our food are sealed protected and is being transported then storage or imported by much different transportation such as ships, planes. Yes, you may be true but, do you know how safe the food is being distributes to stores. I began wondering how food industry safety distributes there food. Many of you may say that our food is distributed safely, but is this statement true.... [tags: Food, Food safety, Food industry, Agriculture]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- mpact of Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) on beverage industry produce fruit juice contain drinks in the USA 1. Introduction: According to the Center of Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), there are around 48 million people get sick annually due to food borne diseases. One out of six people in the USA get sick or suffer from foodborne illness in every year. More than hundred thousand are hospitalized and thousands of Americans died every year (“Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) > Food Safety Legislation Key Facts” 2015).... [tags: Food safety, Food, Foodborne illness, Juice]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- Organic Food Benefits With the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle being abundantly clear, healthy food choices are now in the spotlight. The demand for organic foods among U.S. consumers is on the rise due to the assumption that it is a healthier and safer food choice. As a consequence of staggering amounts of greenwashing thrust upon consumers today, labels and claims of health benefits have become overwhelming and confusing. Buyers must seek the facts for nutrition and safety information themselves in order to find what is truly the best choice for them.... [tags: food choices, local growers, carcinogens]
1050 words (3 pages)
- This is a globalized environment where each country depends on others in several conditions especially in the business world. To enable a world-wide economic condition, a country should open up every chances of bilateral or multilateral relationship with different countries. United Kingdom or Britain in this case; is one of several fastest economic growth countries in this world. As a country with the high reputation in economic growth, Britain governments together with the citizens have done numerous strategies to boost the economy and even survive during the recession.... [tags: ecomomic, tax, employment]
1498 words (4.3 pages)
- Introduction There once was a time where words like "light" and "low-fat" on food packages that had no nutritional meaning. As a result, shoppers were often led to believe they were buying products that were more helpful than they really were. Nutrition panels on labels were also confusing and hard to read. But the Australia New Zealand Authority (ANZFA) changed all that. In March 2001 the ANZFA defined new standardized terms that appear on food labels such as "low-fat", "reduced" and "lean" to control how food manufacturers could put their facts that are relevant to most of our dietary needs.... [tags: essays research papers]
780 words (2.2 pages)