The QI project that will be described in this analysis pertains to catheter related blood stream infections (CR-BSI). CR-BSI and the ability in which they can be prevented is a common focus in the healthcare industry. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has reported that 5 CR-BSI per 1000 catheter days is the current rate of infection. This translates into 80,000 patients every year will acquire a CR-BSI. This infection can be introduced at the time of insertion, or by the way in which it is used and cared for. This report of 80,000 patients is only limited to studies based on patients in various Intensive Care Units. Current infection rates for medical surgical units, skilled nursing centers, home health, and ambulatory care patients does not exist. An estimate by many researchers would place the annual number of CR-BSI at 250,000 cases. The estimated deaths caused by CR-BSI at around 12-25% of the total infections. In addition to increased mortality the approximate cost per infection is $ 25, 000. (Posa, Harrison, & Vollman, 2006, p. 446) These numbers leave large room for impro...
... middle of paper ...
..., D. L., & Saint, S. (2004). Using maximal sterile barriers to prevent central venous catheter-related infection. American Jouranl of Infection Control, 32, 142-146.
Orto, V., & Greene, L. R. (2006). Beyond the ICU: nursing’s role in decreasing central venous CR-BSIs. Retrieved June 10, 2010, from www.nursingmangement.com
Posa, P. J., Harrison, D., & Vollman, K. M. (2006). Elimination of central line-associated bloodstream infections. Advanced Critical care, 17, 446-454.
Shuman, E. K., Washer, L. L., Arndt, J. L., Zalewski, C. A., Napolitano, L. M., & Hyzy, R. C. et al. (2010). Analysis of central line-associated bloodstream infections in the intensive care unit after implementation of central line bundles. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 31, 551-553.
Yoder-Wise, P. S. (2007). Leading and managing in nursing (4th ed.). St Louis, MO: Mosby Elsevier.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Line Item budgeting is the most widely used approach in many organizations due to its simplicity and its control orientation. “It is referred to as the "historical" approach because administrators and chief executives often base their expenditure requests on historical expenditure and revenue data. One important aspect of line-item budgeting is that it offers flexibility in the amount of control established over the use of resources, depending on the level of expenditure detail (e.g., fund, function, object) incorporated into the document” (National Center for Education Statistics).... [tags: chief executives, administrators, expenditures]
1216 words (3.5 pages)
- Differences and disagreements always exist in negotiation process. When parties cannot reach an agreement or the power between parties is imbalance, mediators will be demonstrated the significant impact on solving problems and encourage negotiators to achieve consensus. This essay will expound four different types of mediator, which include settlement mediator, facilitative mediator, therapeutic mediator and evaluative mediator. Areas of practice for different styles of mediator also will be stated.... [tags: Business, Mediators, Settlement Mediation]
1912 words (5.5 pages)
- The process of using memory is as natural as breathing yet there is a great deal of processing that occurs to keep us functioning properly. The journey information takes as it is processed into memories is complex and has many stages. This paper will look at concepts for short-term and long-term memory. The two concepts generally agreed upon as existing are short-term memory and long-term memory. As the names suggest, these stores will contain memories for a short period either of time, or on more of a long-term basis.... [tags: Memory]
798 words (2.3 pages)
- Operation process at VBA INTRODUCTION ¡§The Design, setting up, operation, and continuous evaluation of internal and external systems that deliver a product or a service to the customer is called Operations Management.¡¨(Alan Carroll, 2003) According to Slack et al, All Operations processes takes in a set of input resources which are then used to transform something, or are transformed themselves, into outputs of goods and services which satisfy customer needs. This is described by transformation process model.... [tags: Flower Auction Business Management Essays]
2419 words (6.9 pages)
- The central theme of this essay will deal with the role of Taylorism or scientific management in a specific organization. The primary focus will be to critically discuss how the various methods of scientific management are applicable to the chosen organization, which in this case will be Ford Motors. The essay will describe F.W. Taylor's early work life and techniques of scientific management and its success. It will then go on to discuss the production methods at Ford Motors prior and post the application of the management principles along with their benefits and criticisms.... [tags: Automobiles, Assembly Line]
1845 words (5.3 pages)
- ... This can be done with from most Romec computer ports and tough books. The employee may feel like they don’t want to ask questions all of the time, so this is a great outlet to gain information. First line managers should support the employee by checking on them frequently during the first stages of employment and making sure they have the resources to achieve the goals and objectives set out at initial induction. This could be a coaching plan using SMART principles so that the employee’s progress is measured and logged and any needs are indentified as soon as possible When new employees attend the induction workshop, they will be around other new people who have recently started the comp... [tags: human resources, recruitment process]
1771 words (5.1 pages)
- How to Upgrade Your PC's Memory A memory upgrade is the easiest and most cost-effective upgrade that you can make to increase the performance of your personal computer (PC). The RAM, or random access memory, temporarily holds data and instructions as the central processing unit (CPU) processes them. As you increase your PC's RAM, its performance will be faster, and it will have fewer program or system crashes. When you purchase a PC, it usually will not come with the maximum amount of RAM possible, leaving you room to upgrade the amount.... [tags: Process Essays]
930 words (2.7 pages)
Research Study- Improved Algorithms for Yield Driven Clock Skew Scheduling in the Presence of Process Variations
- Abstract Traditional yield driven clock skew scheduling in the presence of process variations can be formulated as a sequence of minimum ratio cycle problems, and hence can be solved efficiently by algorithms such as Lawler's and Howard's algorithms. However, the assumption of Gaussian distributions of critical path delays has been made in this formulation, which becomes inapplicable for next generation nanometer technologies. Recently, a generalization of the formulation for non-Gaussian distributions was proposed, and a modification of Lawler's algorithm was developed for solving this generalized problem.... [tags: algorithms]
1776 words (5.1 pages)
- Solving A Homicide Solving a crime is difficult for detectives. Homicides are even harder cases to solve, the only person that can really tell what happened is dead. So many people are afraid to step up as witnesses, they fear their life would be in jeopardy for helping the detectives. For homicide detectives, the first forty-eight hours is the most critical part for solving a case. After that, the probability of solving the case reduces by fifty percent. Each passing hour gives suspects more time to get away, witnesses more time to forget what they saw, and crucial evidence more time to be lost forever.... [tags: essays research papers]
1026 words (2.9 pages)
- A General Model of Publication Although the medium and the material may differ vastly, essentially the same common process is always involved in publication (Fig. 1). For on-line publications this model makes it possible to automate many of the steps involved (see module on Automated document processing). Figure 1. A model for the publication process. The same general pattern of steps occurs whatever the publication and whatever the type of material involved. This model encompasses all the stages described earlier, but in a somewhat more formalized form.... [tags: Publication Process Media SGML Essays]
3848 words (11 pages)