Thousands of people are affected by the lack of school safety in schools across the nation. Students everywhere are attending schools that are more dangerous than expected. This is a growing concern everywhere, and schools need to improve, or else they are prone to being unsafe. Whether it is building, drill, concussion, social, or technology safety, schools need to improve to lower the risk of an incident.
Project Citizen is an effort to improve our community one step at a time. Project Citizen requires a lot of research for specific sections of our main problem. These are called tasks. After all of the tasks are finished, everyone writes a paper summarizing the main problem. Then, everyone makes a presentation in groups. The keys to being successful in Project Citizen are to work hard, research well, work as a team, and most importantly, be organized. The steps to Project Citizen are: Identifying a problem in the school or community, research the problem, evaluate possible solutions, then develop public policy ideas and pick the best solution. The main goal of Project Citizen is to improve our school/community to make it a better place. This year, the hope is to make our school safer, and less prone to accidents happening.
In order to have a safe school, you need to know the terms to understand the importance. Safety means the condition of being protected from or unlikely to cause danger, risk, or injury. Security is the state of being free from danger or threat. These two terms are synonyms along with well-being, protection, and freedom from danger. "Safety First" is "Safety Always." says Charles M. Hayes. This shows how safety needs to be present all of the time, because you never know when an incident can happen. School S...
... middle of paper ...
... Kimberly. "Despite Increased Security, School Shootings Continue." Pbs.org. PBS, 1996. Web. 12 Apr. 2014.
List of School Shootings in the United States. Rep. Wikipedia.org, n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2014.
Pine Middle School Shooting. Rep. Wikipedia.org, n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2014.
"Quotations about Safety." Quotegarden.com. Quote Garden, 2 Apr. 2014. Web. 12 Apr. 2014.
"Re: How Many School Fires Happen Each Year?" Web log comment. Chacha.com. Chacha, 2006. Web. 12 Apr. 2014.
Ribble, Mike. Digital Citizenship: Using Technology Appropriately. Rep. Godaddy.com, 2014. Web. 12 Apr. 2014.
"Safety." Schoolclimate.org. National School Climate Center, 2014. Web. 12 Apr. 2014.
Staff, Edutopia. "77 Percent: Bullied Students." Web log post. Edutopia.org. Edutopia, 2 Dec. 2005. Web. 12 Apr. 2014.
"Water Survey Site." Tornadoes, Fatalities, and Injuries by Year. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Importance of Safety in College “Since ‘Sandy Hook’, there has been a school shooting, on average every week. How on earth can live with ourselves if we do nothing?” said Senator Chris Murphy. According to the statistics, there has been at least one school shooting since 2013. Even before that year a tragic event happened. According to the New York Times, the Virginia Tech School massacre was a school shooting that took place on April 16, 2007 on the campus of Virginia polytechnic institute.... [tags: Police, Security, Virginia Tech massacre, Crime]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Increase in school violence Over the past several years, incidents of school violence have intensified. Disasters like the shootings at Columbine High School are not unheard of, and precautions for school safety are on the minds of numerous communities. Johnson and Johnson claim that “Teaching is different from what it used to be. Fifty years ago, the main disciplinary problems were running in the halls, talking out of turn, and chewing gum. Today’s transgressions include physical and verbal violence, incivility, and in some schools, drug abuse, robbery, assault, and murder” (1995).... [tags: School Violence Shootings Safety Essays]
3529 words (10.1 pages)
- Thousands of people are affected by the lack of school safety in schools across the nation. Students everywhere are attending schools that are more dangerous than expected. This is a growing concern everywhere, and schools need to improve, or else they are prone to being unsafe. Whether it is building, drill, concussion, social, or technology safety, schools need to improve to lower the risk of an incident. Project Citizen is an effort to improve our community one step at a time. Project Citizen requires a lot of research for specific sections of our main problem.... [tags: project citizen, concerns]
1605 words (4.6 pages)
- Regulation compliance, employee safety, fire safety, ergonomics, industrial hygiene, hazardous waste removal, training procedures, and management relations are samples of features taken into consideration during a Safety Major’s day. Though there are numerous specializations safety professions can choose, a base knowledge in all fields is essential for a successful career. Therefore, I intend to pursue a continuation of safety certifications that will demonstrate a persistent ability to learn about my career.... [tags: Employment, Occupational safety and health]
1451 words (4.1 pages)
- Introduction Within the public safety field, adult school crossing guards are among the least acknowledged and recognized of all. They are constantly battling harsh weather conditions and the all-too-common road rage from daily commuters while tending for our children’s safety. Unfortunately, these school zone guardians are at constant risk from the many inherent hazards of their job. Among those are the harsh weather conditions they encounter without shelter, the oncoming traffic they signal to stop, and the ever-increasing violence of daily commuters.... [tags: Public Safet Field, Crossing guards, Schools]
1515 words (4.3 pages)
- As a teacher, I am always seeking to improve my place within the big picture of my student’s academic, social and emotional aspects in their lives as well as try to meet the expectations and district requirements of my profession. Prior to this class, most of my efforts were on an individual level to find new classroom management strategies and tools in which I can provide students within my classroom and improve upon those that work. Ideally, I understood the importance of communication and the whole-school approach to student discipline, I initially could not identify the foundations that a Positive Behavior Support System (PBSS) would need to be successful.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Love, School]
1057 words (3 pages)
- Client Safety as a Public Health Issue According to the Institute of Medicine (IOM), patient safety is defined as the prevention of harm to patient. Within the system of care, they put an emphasis on error prevention, learn from errors that occur, and is built on a culture of safety among health care professionals, organizations, and patients (Mitchell, 2008). It is important for patient safety to be a priority in health care because they are already in the hospital for an illness we do not need to add to the problems they already have.... [tags: Patient, Health care provider, Health care]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- Beneficence is defined as the concept of having the desire to do what is best for the well-being of others. Specifically in nursing, as defined by the American Nurses Association, beneficence is said to be the idea of compassion, and taking positive actions to help others (American Nurses Association 2013). With the NPSG, or National Patient Safety Goals in mind, these goals embody the idea of beneficence in healthcare practice. The National Patient Safety Goals define simple, yet effective practices which attempt to create the best possible outcome for both healthcare staff and patients.... [tags: Nursing, Education, Registered nurse, School]
863 words (2.5 pages)
- If you remember wearing an uniform to school, then congratulations- you once belonged to a scattering of public schools that implemented such a rule. Although it is not as popular now as it was in the 1950’s, there is still yet an ongoing debate about whether or not schools should conform back to a mandatory uniform policy. School uniforms actually has many benefits. These gains intertwines with the educational process, which ultimately affects how students act and their performance beyond a school setting.... [tags: Dress code, Education, Uniforms, High school]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- The Internet is a brilliant tool for men, women and children, who are in search of information for work, school, or for just surfing the web. Kids today are so much more computer savvy than the older generation because they are taught at an early age how to operate them and how to communicate with family and friends on them. Cyber predators are always lurking through the internet to find our children to abduct and sexually abuse or in some cases even murder them. It is vital that all parents understand that children can be indirectly victimized through conversation, through instant messages like Yahoo, MySpace, and Facebook, as well as the transfer of sexually explicit information and materi... [tags: Internet Predators]
1147 words (3.3 pages)