In the position of staff accountant, I worked for an organization in the health care industry. This non-profit organization employs over one hundred and thirty people, and operates with twenty-one different departments. The top leaders of the organization consist of a board of directors, the president, and the chief executive officer. The CEO is valued for his strong experience, and skill in micromanaging people. Top leaders of this organization believe that the micromanaging style of leadership will improve performance, and achieve organization excellence. However, micromanaging has had a very negative effect.
Managers of each department struggle with effectively leading and micromanaging employees. “Micromanaging damages engagement, saps the initiative of even motivated team members, undermines confidence, quashes innovation, and drives way top talent” (Earley, 2009, p. 5). The organization has too many chiefs, and the close monitoring of employees makes them feel discouraged and unimportant, which promotes low productivity. In addition, department managers are bitter because they are overw...
... middle of paper ...
...mployees. Leaders should focus on the valuable asset of its organization, which is its collection of people that carry out the goals and vision of the organization. Quality leadership begins with an effective leader that leads by example with a strategic focus, and determination that enables them to connect with employees effectively, to build excellence, and to achieve organizational stability, and success.
Blades, B. (2006). Leadership defined. Adhesives & Sealants Industry, 13(6), 43-46.
Earley, C. (2009). Avoid micromanaging. Leadership Excellence, 26(6), 5.
Kerfoot, K. (2004). In your corner leadership. Urologic Nursing, 24(4), 357-358.
Stern. G. M. (2010). Help! My boss is micromanaging me! Investors Business Daily. p.
Weiss, W.H. (2007). Effective leadership: What are the requisites? Supervision, 68(2),
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The importance of effective clinical leadership in ensuring a high quality health care system that consistently provides safe and efficient care has been reiterated in the scholarly literature and various government reports (Daly J, Jackson D, Mannix J, Davidson PM, Hutchinson M, 2014). Moreover, the critical role of leadership is goal setting. Those in leadership roles using transformational leadership styles, can evoke an employee’s positive response towards work. While goal refers to the larger aspiration of the organization, whereas objectives refers to subordinate goals.... [tags: Management, Patient, Hospital, Goal]
712 words (2 pages)
- This diagnosis paper will examine the time when I worked in the team of about 25 employees including managers to produce important travel document, which many Australians use to travel around the world. The production section which I happen to be part of was having about 20,000 to 25,000 backlog of documents in the print queue that needs to be printed within a tight deadline to ensure that our customers did receive their documents in due time as stated in the application pack. This diagnosis paper will also discuss the various reasons like; lack of value for employee, motivation, leadership style, poor performance, poor work health and safety procedures and what the manager should have done... [tags: Employment, Management, Motivation, Job]
1784 words (5.1 pages)
- My research was conducted on the importance of strengthening others. As leaders we must be willing to share power, build confidence and monitor progression, (Kouzes and Posner, 2012). By sharing power the subordinates are learning to adapt and develop, (Kouzes and Posner, 2012). They are being exposed to challenges that develop problem solving skills and inspire new ideas. Trust is also gained by sharing power. Through increased responsibility the followers will gain a sense of pride and self-ownership in the project.... [tags: Problem solving, Leadership, Management, Challenge]
1042 words (3 pages)
- Essay on Leadership: Meaning, Nature and Importance of Leadership. “Leadership is the quality of behavior of individuals whereby they guide people or their activities in organising efforts” — Chester I. Barnard “Leadership is the ability of a superior to induce subordinates to work with confidence and I zeal” — Koontz and ‘Donnell “Leadership is the process by which an executive imaginatively directs, guides and influences the work of others in attaining specified goals.” — Theo Haimann Leadership may be defined as a position of power held by an individual in a group, which provides him with an opportunity to exercise interpersonal influence on the group members for miobilising and directing... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill, Social influence]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Questioning Is Important For Quality Leadership Questions allow the leader and their team the opportunity to plan effectively and properly analyze the goals of the team. During the beginning stages preparing for a project, a leader and their team must ask each other questions that pertain to the project, so that their goals they set for the project will be accomplished. When I think of questions pertaining to a team project I see them as a building block or foundation, one that will help create a quality plan leading to a successful project.... [tags: Leadership ]
869 words (2.5 pages)
- The importance of quality education for all institutions is an undervalued commodity that can result in positive effects. The organization that continues to provide the quality of education will result in long-term positive results for all parties involved (Tanase & Velica, 2015, p. 53). This concept benefits a multitude of individuals that include internal and external parties within the organization (p. 53). The benefits to the organization include internally as students and external such as the community and society (p.... [tags: Management, Total quality management]
1933 words (5.5 pages)
- Quality Management is needed for businesses to produce cost efficient and quality products and/or services that meet the needs of the customers. There’s more to quality than the product/services in an organization. This paper will research the importance of different quality improvement models, (i.e. total quality management, six sigma methods and rapid improvement events- RIE), Management and Employees involvements and what happens when quality improvement deteriorates. Introduction The “Total Quality Management” (TQM) works best for measurement with organizations that provided services to people, as it allows for quality improvement towards the consumers.... [tags: Management, Six Sigma, Total quality management]
840 words (2.4 pages)
- In any organization, leadership plays a crucial role in its success especially when considering quality management. This is very critical with nowadays emerging challenges whether economical difficulties, increased competitiveness, or others. Interestingly, higher quality of products and services is a main determinant in the survival of many businesses especially within the healthcare sector. That explains the growing interest among leaders and administrators in paying a closer attention to quality management; some even use the general leadership to directly manage quality initiatives.... [tags: residential care for older people]
784 words (2.2 pages)
- Every organization requires effective followership and leadership to reach peak performance. Effective followers use creativity, intrinsic motivations, and commitment to the organization to ensure its success. In addition, great followers need great leaders to guide them and build them into future leaders. Great leaders understand the importance of various followership styles and traits and use them to benefit the organization while helping followers achieve greatness as well. Futhermore, great followers and leaders strive to continually build on their strengths and weaknesses.... [tags: Leadership, Charismatic authority, Better]
1448 words (4.1 pages)
- Leadership is one of the main areas of study nowadays. A number of books, articles, and research papers are written on this discipline and we receive much information about this. Leadership is a relationship between leaders and followers, and building this relationship requires an appreciation for the personal values of those who would be willing to give their ener¬gy and talents to accomplish shared objectives. Transformational leadership and leader-member exchange are popular theories in the leadership arena.... [tags: Leadership Research Paper Report]
1469 words (4.2 pages)