The performance of the logistics system has a major impact on cost structures, revenues, service quality, and competitiveness in Australian industry. Logistics activities have been evolving rapidly in response to changes such as globalization, general industry restructuring, new production processes, and technological advances.
Many firms, government agencies and joint industry/government bodies are developing programs to improve logistics performance in Australia. The initiatives include the Freight Transport Logistics Industry Action Agenda.
This report develops a broad framework for analyzing logistics activities in Australia. This report will also look at the importance of Third Party Logistics to the Australian business. We will also look at the emergence of the 3PL in Australia and what benefits do the businesses get by adopting the 3PL.
The most significant supply chain trend that is affecting business in Australia.
Ever increasing competition in today’s global markets, introduction of new products with shorter lifecycles, faster dissemination and proliferation of information and heightened expectations of customers have forced enterprises to invest in, and focus attention on, entire supply chains. Today, some companies are extending their reach outside of traditional supply chain boundaries to engage in activities that go beyond their own sphere of control. To do this, they organise competitive networks of enterprises to develop and access supply chain capabilities for those organisations that are part of such value-adding networks. The scope of this research report covers aspects ranging from in-house logistics, with a focus on productivity, cost-savings and functional excell...
... middle of paper ...
... Ellram, L.M. 1998, Fundamentals of Logistics
Management, Irwin/McGraw-Hill, Boston
Langley C.J. Jr. 1992, ‘The evolution of the logistics concept’, in M. Christopher
(ed.), Logistics: The Strategic Issues, Chapman & Hall, London.
Logistics in Australia: A Preliminary Analysis
Date Accessed 30th April 2008
Malone, P. 1999, Business to Business E-Commerce Case Study: Transport and Logistics—Australia, Presentation to the Working Party for the Information
Economy Group of the OECD, National Office for the Information Economy,
Supply Chain Review 2000, Who’s Who in Contract Distribution 2000, December,
vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 36-38.
Toll Holdings 2000, Concise Annual Review 2000, Toll Holdings, Melbourne.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... • Consolidate product movement by grouping shipments. • Maintain high quality and engage in continuous improvement. • Support the entire product life cycle and the reverse logistics supply chain. An effective logistics management strategy depends upon the following tactics: • Coordinating functions (transportation management, warehousing, packaging, etc.) to create maximum value for the customer. • Integrating the supply chain. • Substituting information for inventory. • Reducing supply chain partners to an effective minimum number.... [tags: Logistics, Supply chain management, Supply chain]
1839 words (5.3 pages)
- ... Robinson Worldwide, Inc. Annual Report on form 10-k 6) In addition, eight percent of the net revenues in 2012 were accounted for sourcing fresh produce.( C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc. Annual Report on form 10-k 6) Since the company was founded, CHRW provides service “in handling produce and other perishable commodities.” (C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc. Annual Report on form 10-k 6) Also, despite the company sold almost hundred percent of the operations of T-Check, CHRW expects to generate Payment Services revenue from the cash advance option.... [tags: company, transporation, business, analysis]
1415 words (4 pages)
- 1.1 Aims and objectives of the study The study will identify and present the uncertainties in the reverse logistics process of third party reverse logistics providers and to proffer optimisation solutions to mitigate or reduce these uncertainties. The methodology adopted to achieve these objectives includes an extensive literature review accompanied with a case study. The study will discuss relevant concepts, strategies and methods of optimisation of the supply chain. The goal of this study is to develop a stronger understanding of uncertainties in the third party retail logistics providers operations which act as delays in implementing reverse logistics activities successfully on behalf... [tags: Supply chain management, Logistics]
754 words (2.2 pages)
- Introduction: What is logistics. It is management process of the movement of resources it can be either raw material or finish goods between source of consumption and the end user i.e. customer, organization to meet requirements. There are various definitions in the literature or in the business world; the most suitable definition is the overall relationship between supply, material management and the distribution (Rushton A. ). This logistics concerned with physical as well as information flows, not only that it use in the storage form the raw material to final distribution of the finish good.... [tags: Products, Warehouse]
1996 words (5.7 pages)
- In order to improve operational efficiency, many companies have chosen to outsource part or all of their logistics activities to third parties. By doing that, company can focus more on its core activities. Green, Turner, Roberts, Nagendra & Wininger (2008) have found out that third-party logistics (3PL) companies typically offer services that cover warehousing, distribution, inventory control, packaging and transportation, such as contracting and procuring transportation procurement, managing inventories, consulting and managing logistics, auditing and consulting freights, tracking and tracing shipments and offering reverse logistics and other value added services.... [tags: outsourcing, collaboration, planning]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- In today’s society, we often find people who have a bias against the correctional system. We find these people to have no credible source besides the information the media proposes, third party information, or if they themselves have been locked up. Whether we sit and listen to them preach about the corruptness is up to us. When we talk about the correctional system we are talking about it as a whole. This includes jails, prisons, the inmates, and employees. Whether we agree or disagree with our own personal thoughts most of us haven’t seen it at first hand like the interviewee I had interviewed.... [tags: Prison, Criminal justice, Corrections, Crime]
1117 words (3.2 pages)
- The integration of IT with logistics management is an important prerequisite for good logistics management. An electronic commerce portal can be used as a marketing channel in collaboration with existing intermediaries or through bypassing mediators disintermediation will provide high leverage opportunities to the logistics function and increase its flexibility. Hence the development of E-Logistics gets to be fundamental for accomplishment in worldwide operations examine the advancement of electronic markets in logistics with logistics financier frameworks (LBS).... [tags: Logistics, Supply chain management, Management]
1796 words (5.1 pages)
- ... Mukhopadhyay; Robert Setaputra, 2006). The main component of technologies used for 4PL includes a range of telephones to e-mail, from software modules like the transport order management to transportation planning, all these technologies support the application of 4PL,in the form of transparent information and communication flow.( Nissen, 2001; Mattfeld and Robra-Bissantz, 2012: Jens Mehmann , Frank Teuteberg , (2016)).By utilizing these technologies, transportation companies are better able to manage the logistics operations, because adequate planning and control are now available in employee’s fingertips, without having to entirely go out and check on theoperations,when real time data... [tags: Supply chain management, Supply chain, Logistics]
2009 words (5.7 pages)
- ... In addition, Omni provides a storage option that is a cold storage and this is located at their Dallas warehouse facility. Distribution As stated before, the company distributes products mostly through ground services, but tailors their services according to each customer’s unique business requirements. The nine offices in the U.S. consists of their distribution teams, warehouses, and other staff that manages all aspects of the customers’ distributions, including warehouse labor, data management, and transportation services.... [tags: Supply chain management, Logistics, Transport]
1063 words (3 pages)
- Effects of Political Parties Introduction Since the last of the Whig party left office in 1852, the American political system has been primarily a two party system. The Democrats and the Republicans have been the two parties fighting for the Presidency since that time. There have been many other parties since that time, but mainly, these two have gone unopposed against each other. However, how much good do these parties actually do. Would our country be run as effectively if the presence of political parties was no longer a factor.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1302 words (3.7 pages)