The performance of the logistics system has a major impact on cost structures, revenues, service quality, and competitiveness in Australian industry. Logistics activities have been evolving rapidly in response to changes such as globalization, general industry restructuring, new production processes, and technological advances.
Many firms, government agencies and joint industry/government bodies are developing programs to improve logistics performance in Australia. The initiatives include the Freight Transport Logistics Industry Action Agenda.
This report develops a broad framework for analyzing logistics activities in Australia. This report will also look at the importance of Third Party Logistics to the Australian business. We will also look at the emergence of the 3PL in Australia and what benefits do the businesses get by adopting the 3PL.
The most significant supply chain trend that is affecting business in Australia.
Ever increasing competition in today’s global markets, introduction of new products with shorter lifecycles, faster dissemination and proliferation of information and heightened expectations of customers have forced enterprises to invest in, and focus attention on, entire supply chains. Today, some companies are extending their reach outside of traditional supply chain boundaries to engage in activities that go beyond their own sphere of control. To do this, they organise competitive networks of enterprises to develop and access supply chain capabilities for those organisations that are part of such value-adding networks. The scope of this research report covers aspects ranging from in-house logistics, with a focus on productivity, cost-savings and functional excell...
... middle of paper ...
... Ellram, L.M. 1998, Fundamentals of Logistics
Management, Irwin/McGraw-Hill, Boston
Langley C.J. Jr. 1992, ‘The evolution of the logistics concept’, in M. Christopher
(ed.), Logistics: The Strategic Issues, Chapman & Hall, London.
Logistics in Australia: A Preliminary Analysis
Date Accessed 30th April 2008
Malone, P. 1999, Business to Business E-Commerce Case Study: Transport and Logistics—Australia, Presentation to the Working Party for the Information
Economy Group of the OECD, National Office for the Information Economy,
Supply Chain Review 2000, Who’s Who in Contract Distribution 2000, December,
vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 36-38.
Toll Holdings 2000, Concise Annual Review 2000, Toll Holdings, Melbourne.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The word logistic has originated from Greek word ‘Logistikos’ and the Latin word ‘Logisticus’ which means science of computing & calculating In ancient times it was used more in connection with moving armies, the supplies of food & armaments to the war front. During World War II logistics gained importance in army operations covering the movement of supplies, men & equipment across the border Today It has acquired the wider meaning and is used in the business for the movement of material from suppliers to the manufacturer and finally the finished goods to the consumers.... [tags: Logistics, Supply chain management, Supply chain]
1839 words (5.3 pages)
- ... Robinson Worldwide, Inc. Annual Report on form 10-k 6) In addition, eight percent of the net revenues in 2012 were accounted for sourcing fresh produce.( C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc. Annual Report on form 10-k 6) Since the company was founded, CHRW provides service “in handling produce and other perishable commodities.” (C.H. Robinson Worldwide, Inc. Annual Report on form 10-k 6) Also, despite the company sold almost hundred percent of the operations of T-Check, CHRW expects to generate Payment Services revenue from the cash advance option.... [tags: company, transporation, business, analysis]
1415 words (4 pages)
- 1.1 Aims and objectives of the study The study will identify and present the uncertainties in the reverse logistics process of third party reverse logistics providers and to proffer optimisation solutions to mitigate or reduce these uncertainties. The methodology adopted to achieve these objectives includes an extensive literature review accompanied with a case study. The study will discuss relevant concepts, strategies and methods of optimisation of the supply chain. The goal of this study is to develop a stronger understanding of uncertainties in the third party retail logistics providers operations which act as delays in implementing reverse logistics activities successfully on behalf... [tags: Supply chain management, Logistics]
754 words (2.2 pages)
- Introduction: What is logistics. It is management process of the movement of resources it can be either raw material or finish goods between source of consumption and the end user i.e. customer, organization to meet requirements. There are various definitions in the literature or in the business world; the most suitable definition is the overall relationship between supply, material management and the distribution (Rushton A. ). This logistics concerned with physical as well as information flows, not only that it use in the storage form the raw material to final distribution of the finish good.... [tags: Products, Warehouse]
1996 words (5.7 pages)
- In order to improve operational efficiency, many companies have chosen to outsource part or all of their logistics activities to third parties. By doing that, company can focus more on its core activities. Green, Turner, Roberts, Nagendra & Wininger (2008) have found out that third-party logistics (3PL) companies typically offer services that cover warehousing, distribution, inventory control, packaging and transportation, such as contracting and procuring transportation procurement, managing inventories, consulting and managing logistics, auditing and consulting freights, tracking and tracing shipments and offering reverse logistics and other value added services.... [tags: outsourcing, collaboration, planning]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- In today’s society, we often find people who have a bias against the correctional system. We find these people to have no credible source besides the information the media proposes, third party information, or if they themselves have been locked up. Whether we sit and listen to them preach about the corruptness is up to us. When we talk about the correctional system we are talking about it as a whole. This includes jails, prisons, the inmates, and employees. Whether we agree or disagree with our own personal thoughts most of us haven’t seen it at first hand like the interviewee I had interviewed.... [tags: Prison, Criminal justice, Corrections, Crime]
1117 words (3.2 pages)
- The integration of IT with logistics management is an important prerequisite for good logistics management. An electronic commerce portal can be used as a marketing channel in collaboration with existing intermediaries or through bypassing mediators disintermediation will provide high leverage opportunities to the logistics function and increase its flexibility. Hence the development of E-Logistics gets to be fundamental for accomplishment in worldwide operations examine the advancement of electronic markets in logistics with logistics financier frameworks (LBS).... [tags: Logistics, Supply chain management, Management]
1796 words (5.1 pages)
- Logistics companies around the world, for a very long time, had been using 2PL for a reasonable amount of time, which involves the transaction of movement of goods between two parties, after realizing that many manufacturing and service corporations were taking on too much responsibilities in doing too many things at once. From procuring to producing to transporting the product, that not only does it results in losses for companies in the face of ever rising expenses, which were proving difficult to control, but also because it was making employees lose their productivity, as they had to handle the nitty gritty details of the logistics operations which (aside from those responsible to handle... [tags: Supply chain management, Supply chain, Logistics]
2009 words (5.7 pages)
- Supply Chain Role Omni Logistics is a 3PL business that specializes in transportation services that can be customized to customer’s needs. Teams of dedicated professionals aim to remove risk and variability in the products and suppliers of their clients. Moreover, Omni tailors their services to meet the unique needs of each individual client by combining a unique team, technology, and personal processes. Omni’s program solutions include domestic (air and ground), international (air and sea), air charter, full truck load, LTL rater, security and risk management, White Glove Solutions, distribution, information technology, and business sector solutions.... [tags: Supply chain management, Logistics, Transport]
1063 words (3 pages)
- Effects of Political Parties Introduction Since the last of the Whig party left office in 1852, the American political system has been primarily a two party system. The Democrats and the Republicans have been the two parties fighting for the Presidency since that time. There have been many other parties since that time, but mainly, these two have gone unopposed against each other. However, how much good do these parties actually do. Would our country be run as effectively if the presence of political parties was no longer a factor.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1302 words (3.7 pages)