As a teen I use social media on a day-to-day basis. I wake up, check my Instagram and get caught up on what I missed during my slumber. On the way to school it is Snapchat and Kik to connect with those dreading to go to school, and listen to complaints about upcoming tests and quizzes. After school I have a couple laughs on vine then make sure my grades are adequate on Engrade. Before I end my day it is another round of Instagram to see what I missed during the day. On most of these social media sites we are given the ability to communicate with people from all around the world, people who without social media you would have never come to know. I experienced this first-hand a couple months ago. I was checking my Instagram notifications and saw that this girl named Aminah wanted to follow me; she looked harmless so I accepted her. After a while she commented on one of my pictures a compliment to which I responded with a simple thank you. At the time I went to a public school and so did she, we both found comfort in each other knowing that we both were going through the same thing. We both were trying to get through public school while still keeping our faith strong. After a while she gave me her Kik, or instant message, and whenever a problem arose to either of us we would Kik the other person.
My relationship with Aminah created a wonderful relationship with someone in a completely different state. My story shows the upside of social media and how it can develop many wholesome relations. Although this narrative shows the advantages of social media in relationships I am interested in fining out the disadvantages. The girl who I spoke to ended up being a kind person, but I know that in many situations people are not so lucky. ...
... middle of paper ...
• "Social Media, Social Life: How Teens View Their Digital Lives." Reviews & Age Ratings. Common Sense Media, n.d. Web. 14 Mar. 2014.
• Tardanico, Susan. "Is Social Media Sabotaging Real Communication?." Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 30 Apr. 2012. Web. 19 Feb. 2014.
• Keller, Maura. “Social Media and Interpersonal Communication.” Social Work.com(.5 Feb. 2014). 17 Feb.2014
• Jones, Richard. “How does Social Media affect our Relationships?”. Richardjonesjunior.com.(12 May. 2013). 17 Feb. 2014
• Hudson, Paul. “ Why Social Networking makes us less Social”. Elitedaily.com.(May 20. 2013). February 13. 2014
• Wallace, Kelly. "The upside of selfies: Social media isn't all bad for kids." CNN. Cable News Network, 22 Nov. 2013. 23 Feb. 2014.
• Carr, Nicholas G.. The shallows: what the Internet is doing to our brains. New York: W.W. Norton, 2010. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- One could argue that the effects of social networking sites could make an individual more inwards due to the lack of direct social contact. As the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine suggests (in Sigman, 2009) “Social networking encourages us to ignore the social networks that form in our non-virtual communities”. However as Lewis & West (2009) found, Facebook seems to have the opposite effect and encourages an individual to be more social in some ways due to the structure of the site as it is less direct than a phone call and with no monetary costs attached to it, but always with the ability to communicate with multiple people at one time with other individuals about to respond to a m... [tags: Social Networking, Facebook]
676 words (1.9 pages)
- Social networking can connect strangers across the world. As the evolution of communication continues, technology progresses and social networking grows. Social networks like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook have grown to have billions of users. In fact in today’s society, it is necessary or nearly expected to use one if not all of these technological communication networks. The increasing use of social networking has had both a negative and positive effect on communication in relationships.... [tags: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube]
1047 words (3 pages)
- As a teen I use social media on a day-to-day basis. I wake up, check my Instagram and get caught up on what I missed during my slumber. On the way to school it is Snapchat and Kik to connect with those dreading to go to school, and listen to complaints about upcoming tests and quizzes. After school I have a couple laughs on vine then make sure my grades are adequate on Engrade. Before I end my day it is another round of Instagram to see what I missed during the day. On most of these social media sites we are given the ability to communicate with people from all around the world, people who without social media you would have never come to know.... [tags: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube]
1533 words (4.4 pages)
- Because of the progress in the developments of social media and technology, communication, news dissemination, social weather surveys and many others have also been improved. Social media has helped communicating with people much easier. Through social media sites, we could easily get in touch with friends and family members no matter the distance. It also makes it easy for people to get updated with recent happenings. Because of these benefits social media has to offer, more users engage in using these social media sites.... [tags: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube]
2037 words (5.8 pages)
- For the past two centuries social media has been around to communicate with others. Over the years Facebook, twitter, the internet and other means of communication have evolved. The use of social media has spread throughout the world. Even Pope Benedict XVI sent out a twitter message during his weekly general meeting at the Vatican (Gifford). The use of social media may impact personal relationships, privacy rights, become a worrisome distraction, influence politics, and fuel democratic revolutions.... [tags: relationships, communication, politics]
750 words (2.1 pages)
- Social Media and The Effect It Has On Relationships It seems like everyone has a Facebook these days and are not afraid to use it. Social media has taken the world by storm. It comes in many different shapes and sizes, from Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, and more. It seems like people are constantly opening up their browsers or smart phones to update a status or photo, even if it is just a picture of the meal they are eating. Statistics show that 73% of adults use some sort of social networking site (Fleck & Johnson-Migalski, 2015).... [tags: Social media, Facebook, Social network service]
822 words (2.3 pages)
- ... Many people feel social media spreads information fast, although it has incredible speed, it has many negative outcomes. One of the most serious outcomes of social media is cyberbullying. “Over 80% of teens use a cell phone regularly, making it the most common medium for cyber bullying.” (www.dosomething.org) Social media is the main cause of these issues. A site by the name of ask.fm is causing most of the trouble. On the site you can anonymously ask questions and state hateful things. Many cyberbullying incidents on this site have led to tragic endings.... [tags: relationships, grades, privacy, affecting]
824 words (2.4 pages)
- Technology, Social Media, and Relationships. Albert Einstein once said, “It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.” Smart phones, tablets, and laptops, and scores of others; do you think these objects are bringing us closer or further apart. What you might be thinking is that it is actually bringing us closer, but the truth is that technology and everything that could be included in the word “technology”, is changing the way we interact with others, especially with our significant others.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Communication]
933 words (2.7 pages)
- In today 's world, print ads are a dying form of advertising. A new form of marketing is beginning to sweep over consumers: social media. Social media is quickly becoming essential for businesses, leaving print ads and television commercials in the dust. With the rise of importance in social media, companies have been able to adapt and integrate this technology to improve their marketing and advertising. Companies have improved their marketing using social media by reaching more consumers in different ways, reaching their specific target audience more efficiently and maintaining closer relationships with their customers Social media is a phenomenon unlike any other in its ability to grow a... [tags: Advertising, Social media, Marketing, Mass media]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- A Use of Social Media in Businesses The study of Harvard Business Review Analytic Services (2010) showed some interesting facts. The research has been implemented by surveying 2,100 companies in 2010. It might be a little old, but its results are much understandable and authentic. It revealed 75% of companies did not have an idea where their customers were talking about. And, approximately 30% of them just have been using social media without measuring its effectiveness. It could look like that companies were struggling how to utilize social media in businesses at that time.... [tags: Marketing, Sociology, Social media]
1517 words (4.3 pages)