Gangs have had a huge impact in Oklahoma the many years they have been here. Gangs account for most of the drug trade, as well as most of the homicides in the Oklahoma area. Gangs are being fueled by the fear they have given the citizens, therefore most people are too afraid to do anything about the problem. “Every city in the world always has a gang, a street gang, or the so-called outcasts”.- Jimi Hendrix.
Gangs are not only a problem in Oklahoma but all over the world. Gang violence is a big problem in every major city in the United States even Oklahoma and their numbers continue to rise. According to the Department of Justice's 2005 National Gang Threat Assessment, there are at the very least 21,500 gangs in the United States and more than 731,000 active gang members. While gangs are less active in not very populated areas, in major cities, gang violence is responsible¬ for almost half of all ¬¬homicides. ¬ Gangs are also becoming more Tec-savvy, using new computers and other technology to commit various crimes as well as just doing it by hand. The -Juvenile Offenders and Victims estimated in 2006 says that 49 percent of all gang members were Hispanic, 37 percent were black, 8 percent where white, 5 percent Asian and 1 percent had another ethnicity.
A gang is a group of people who claim a territory and use it to make money through illegal activities. Gangs are usually split up into race or territory and are made up of 10 to 30 members. There are three types of gangs there are the Ethnic Gangs, Turf Gangs and Prison Gangs and each have different ways of doing things. Ethnic gangs are gangs made up by thei...
... middle of paper ...
...olen cars, homicides, shooting with intent to kill, three of them had even survived prison time for drug smuggling. Veteran TPD Sergeant Larkin said he's been chasing Lorell since he started working with the department. In fact, Lorell was once charged with murder, but it was dismissed when a witness failed to show up to court. The U.S. attorney says his office was very determined to put these four men in jail and will continue to be as aggressive tp put more felons like this behind bars.
Gangs have had a huge impact in Oklahoma over the many years they have been here. Gangs account for most of the drug trade, as well as most of the homicides in the Oklahoma area. Gangs are being fueled by the fear they have given the citizens, therefore most people are to afraid to do anything about the problem. Although we need to come together to demolish gangs.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The large negative impact on Oklahoma that gangs have caused resulted in a change in our state. In all fifty of the United States, more types and groups of gangs are committing more crimes and illegal activity. Gangs have significantly impacted Oklahoma by increasing violence, homicides, and drug trafficking, and something must be done. The amount of people affiliated with gangs is rapidly increasing. Oklahoma authorities say that gangs are an urban problem. In a report in the year 2010, studies showed that all seventy seven Oklahoma counties had some form of gang activity.... [tags: gang activities and violence]
1261 words (3.6 pages)
- ... The fan gear and the food from the games help the association keep the courts and the seats very clean and appealing to the fans that come to watch the game. Many new food chains and stores for team merchandise has appeared around the Chesapeake Arena, which means that the people are returning for more each game and they are leaving the arena satisfied and in a good mood. “The loss of Thunder basketball games would mean an economic impact of sixty million dollars to the city” said the chamber officials during the NBA lock-out.... [tags: basketball, team, court]
775 words (2.2 pages)
- The Oklahoman’s have always been looking for a high profile team to represent basketball in their state, the Thunder organization has accomplished more than you can imagine by helping this city become what it is today. Today Oklahoma City has many fans that go to Thunder games and cheer on as they are kept at their toes in suspense for the next highlight reel. The Thunder has impacted Oklahoma City in many ways including, economy improvement, business profits, and promotes our entire state. The economy of Oklahoma has reached new heights after the Thunder established a dominant position in the National Basketball Association.... [tags: basket ball team, games, high profile team]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- Gangs have been around for a long time and have caused many problems in society. When people think of gangs they might think Los Angeles or Chicago, but Oklahoma’s gang violence has been at the same level as most major cities are dealing with. Gangs are a major problem in Oklahoma. Gang members continue to increase in the state of Oklahoma. The main age group that joins these gangs are teenagers and pre-teens. Kids without enough attention or not having a father figure in their life tend to join gangs.... [tags: Oklahoma Gang Violence]
1166 words (3.3 pages)
- Gang violence is a growing problem in this world. No parent would like to imagine their kids dealing with weapons or being threatened by them. These violence’s affects each child individually and their families as well. These gangs recruit multiple different individuals for many reasons such as bribery, family traditions, or even threatening. Although, many kids feel like they have to be a part of it but there are many resources out in this world to prevent them from believing so.... [tags: Gang Violence Essays]
1319 words (3.8 pages)
- Gang violence is a major problem in our society today. If nothing is done soon, gang violence could take place in our neighborhoods. MW Klein, a gang researcher, says that gangs are an aggregation of youths who perceive themselves as distinct, and that are viewed as distinct by the community. Klein also states that the gangs call forth a consistently negative image of themselves through their actions (Klein). To those involved in gangs however, gang membership provided a youth means of attempting to consolidate their gender identities (Douglas).... [tags: Gang Violence Crimes Violent Essays]
2296 words (6.6 pages)
- The streets of Philadelphia are rapidly becoming a home to violent acts and random homicides. Innocent lives are taken every day due to the strong presence of gangs, and the streets are run by unruly groups of fearless young adults. Gang violence in Philadelphia is a major issue, and the citizens will never be safe until gang prevention occurs. Gang prevention is not a simple task, but with the right resources available, it is possible. Gang violence is a problem that will contribute to the collapse of Philadelphia, and it has yet to be solved throughout many generations.... [tags: gang prevention essays]
2395 words (6.8 pages)
- Gang violence has been a problem for many years, and it shows no signs of subsiding any time soon. One of the biggest challenges faced by those attempting to stem the tide of gangs in the United States is the cultural and societal factors that contribute to the continued survival and growth of gangs within communities. The most critical factor in combating gang violence is juveniles. Juveniles are important for several reasons. They are most at risk due to their position in their community. Parents in low income areas often work long hours and are not able to supervise their children as much as necessary.... [tags: Preventing Gang Expansion]
1839 words (5.3 pages)
- As an individual living in a community where gang violence is an issue, I am grateful that you are able to take part in a movement to lower the amount of gang violence today. According to Statistics Canada, gang-related homicides have been unchanged for 2011 to 2012 years with 0.27 victims for every 100,000 of the population. In Ontario from 2002 to 2012, deaths peaked at 38 in 2003 and lowered significantly in 2004 to 17. These numbers prove that gang-related violence are a constant battle in many communities every year.... [tags: gang-related homicides]
532 words (1.5 pages)
- In society most people feel safe and do not have a sense of urgency that something appalling will transpire around them. Although these people may hear about the surplus of current events going on around the world today that may be abysmal they tend to not care because they perceive that it will not arise around their home. Gang violence in youths is a prominent problem around numerous portions of the world today. Youths are forced to go along with the engagements taken place in the gang which can be cataclysmic to society and themselves.... [tags: Society, Youth, Violence]
977 words (2.8 pages)