One specific story is the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre. The history of the massacre is horrifying on its own when on February 14, 1929 seven men were lined up and slaughtered by machine gun fire in a SMC cartage co. garage. (Blood, roses, and valentines). In the 1920’s, Chicago was basically controlled by two mob groups that were in control and smuggled alcoholic spirits during the Prohibition. The two mob groups were Al Capone, the leader of the South side Italian group, and George “Bugs” Moran, leader of the North side Irish group. It all started when Moran sided with Joe Aiello and gunned down Pasquillano Lolordo, who was one of Capone’s men. After that, Capone vowed to get his revenge on Moran by wiping him out on February 14th. Capone was in his private estate in Miami when he put in a call to one of his men in Chicago to send Moran a “special” valentine. Using a contact in Detroit, Capone called in Moran to tell him a special delivery of Canadian Whiskey was ready to be picked up at SMC Cartage Co. On February 14th, seven ...
... middle of paper ...
...finally closed down in 1972 and remained empty for many years. In the 1980, the hospital was sold off at an auction to anyone who would tear it down, but it soon became property of the bank again when the buyer went bankrupt. The buildings today remain standing and are private property. (The Bartonville Insane Asylum).
Illinois is a place of history and will forever remain that way. Ghost stories are spread everywhere throughout this state. There are some places that are haunted by good spirits and others by evil. Some historical places are haunted by ghosts of the Civil War and even up to the recently passed. Illinois has many ghosts stories that have been passed around and even encountered by a lot of people and some that have not. Ghost will forever roam this Earth until they finally come to rest with whatever happened in their past life and finally pass over.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Ghost walks are the simplest and most frequently used type of ghost tour in the Great Lakes areas. Cleveland, OH and Chicago, IL frequently advertise guided city tours. “Haunted Cleveland Ghost Tours has been frightening patrons for the past 16 years. Cleveland has educated and scared patrons while touring the streets depicting stories of local legends, murder and mayhem” (Haunted Cleveland, par. 2). The tours stop at sites such as the Franklin Castle, Riverside cemetery, Playhouse Square, and Grey’s Armory.... [tags: Ghost, Paranormal, Ghost hunting, Haunted house]
1438 words (4.1 pages)
- Salisbury’s Pemberton Park in the Dark Since I come from the Eastern Shore of this state, I was surprised to hear a ghost story I was previously unaware of. The story takes place in a park in Salisbury. The person who told me the story is a 19-year-old sophomore at the University, and we spoke about it one evening after dinner. He believes it to be true, because one of his friend’s siblings has apparently experienced the ghost firsthand. I tape-recorded his narrative: In Pemberton Park, about 30 years ago…exactly 30 years ago in a few weeks, actually, a young student got his heart broken.... [tags: Urban Legends Ghost Stories]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- Basics of Ghost Stories INTRODUCTION The ghost story writer has to attract the reader's attention straight away. The way story begins is important and often links with the rest of the narrative. The opening of a short story must try to engage the reader quickly. I think all ghost stories should always have a lot of suspense in it, to create anticipation and excitement. Some symbolic object/place for example a knife, a key must play a major part in the narrative. The story should also have lots of detail to get the feeling as if the reader is there to create different types of atmospheres, such as horror, terror, and excitement.... [tags: Ghost Story Stories Ghosts Essays]
2011 words (5.7 pages)
- Ghost Stories The storyteller is 19 years old and attends Chesapeake College, and is transferring this fall to Salisbury University to become a nurse. Her mother works at a local Baptist church as a secretary/receptionist and her father is a mechanic, but will soon be retired. [The storyteller claims to have seen] these ghosts, and the story she told is about what they look like, their actions, their backgrounds, and how it has affected her. She told me four mini-stories: one about a young girl, one about a young boy, one about a middle-aged man, and one about an elderly man.... [tags: Urban Legends Ghost Story]
1713 words (4.9 pages)
- College Ghost Lore If one were to take the beltway to I-270 north, about an hour north of Washington, DC one would arrive at a town called Emmitsburg, Maryland. Is the town haunted. I collected several stories from a senior in college who is from Emmitsburg. This senior is a white female. The stories I collected, many of which have to do with the small Catholic college indicate a rich ghost lore in the town. There are several stories that this woman told me concerning her hometown. The first is one that most people who live in the town know.... [tags: Ghost Stories Urban Legends]
970 words (2.8 pages)
- Santa Fe Ghost Trail As I sat down with the narrator in his dorm on a Sunday afternoon—not the most appropriate time for ghost stories—he told me this well known ghost story from New Mexico. The storyteller is an 18-year-old male freshman majoring in international relations who is from Bethesda, Maryland. He is biracial with an American father and a Taiwanese mother. Born in California and raised in Colorado, the storyteller is a converted Christian. The teller was in the Boy Scouts, which is where this story comes from: There’s this really small highway town in New Mexico called Cimarron, and it’s small now but in the late 19th century it was a bustling crossroads for all sorts of people... [tags: Ghost Stories Urban Legends]
1361 words (3.9 pages)
- The Cloudcroft Ghost Cloudcroft, New Mexico, meaning a "clearing in the clouds", is a small mountain town located to the east of Alamogordo, NM ("Cloudcroft"). The town's history is intimately tied to the building of the Alamogordo and Sacramento Mountain Railway that allowed the town to be permanently settled in the late 1800s, and to the logging business that made the town and railroad successful for half a century ("Investigation… Lodge"). As with many frontier towns, Cloudcroft has a number of legends that document the unique and violent events in its history, and also a fair number of ghosts that haunt its historic sites.... [tags: Ghost Stories Urban Legends]
1663 words (4.8 pages)
- Landon House: Urbana, Maryland Urban legends and ghost stories play an important role in society. Supernatural and “uncanny” events are evident in the folklore of every culture. Stories of the supernatural, such as ghosts and magic, are typically passed down as oral traditions from generation to generation. With the advent of mass media, such as television and the Internet, ghost stories can become easily popularized. The realm of ghost stories and urban legends is divided among skeptics and believers.... [tags: Urban Legends Ghost Stories]
1449 words (4.1 pages)
- Hell House In searching for an interesting and reliable ghost story, I began by asking upperclassmen that would probably have more experience and time to have heard the legends and lore of Maryland. After asking many students, one of my friends knew one from her hometown of Ellicott, Maryland. This friend is a twenty-year-old junior, majoring in finance and accounting. She was born in Virginia but moved around quite a bit during her early childhood. She is Indian, and moved to India at the age of five and lived there for seven years.... [tags: Ghost Stories Urban Legends]
1307 words (3.7 pages)
- Ghost Sighting Elements of the supernatural have long enhanced the folklore of many cultures. Stories of ghosts, magic, and so-called aliens are transferred from generation to generation, sparking our imagination and uncovering our deepest fears. While some stories are clearly fabulous, others are believed by those who tell them. The story I wish to report is of the latter kind: an experience that generated real fear in the teller. Although the story is completely original, it contains ideas reflected in much other folklore, including similar tales from similar locations.... [tags: Urban Legends Ghost Stories]
1285 words (3.7 pages)