-UNSUPPORTED, Pizza delivery and other food service seem to make it work. All is an overstatement at best.
"The issue was so severe that the city had to require taxis to pick up passengers in some parts of town. By forcing operators to deliver a controlled substance, in exchange for cash, Price has created perfect conditions for armed robberies."
So it is a controlled substance? Hmm. Do we then agree with the illegal nature of the substance as it relates to federal law? Again... I 'm thinking pizza delivery has the same challenge and it works for them.
"From an economic perspective, claims from the Long Beach Police that undoing the ban on storefront retail operation will cost the city more than the revenue it generates are completely baseless."
Evidence for the positive economic impact of commercial cannabis have already been seen in a number of different jurisdictions.
"Furthermore, objective analysts estimate the value of the Los Angeles area cannabis market at around $1 billion. " SOUNDS LIKE A LARGE NUMBER BUT LA IS HUGE IN COMPARISON TO the 470,000 residents of Long Beach.
"If our city bureaucracy can’t find a way to profit off a business with this much available capital, they are truly not trying hard enough." UNABLE TO DRAW THIS CONCLUSION BASED ON LA 's NUMBERS. VERY MISLEADING. WE ARE NOT LA AND WE ARE 12% OF THE POPULATION OF LA. ARE YOU SAYING THAT THE LONG BEACH INDUSTRY IS 120 Million? I 'VE NOT SEE THAT NUMBER SUPPORTED FOR OUR CITY.
"Additionally the police have mischaracterized their current failed strategy for combating the illegal commercial cannabis trade...
... middle of paper ...
Stefan Borst-Censullo is an adviser to the California Growers Association and a local advocate for the medical cannabis industry. SO THIS IS CLEARLY AN OPINION COLUMN. PERHAPS THE P-T WILL ALLOW A COUNTER POINT? I THOUGHT THE MEDIA NEWS GROUP ATTEMPTED TO PROVIDE SOME AMOUNT OF BALANCE. NO SURPRISE WHEN A PAPER SHOWS SUPPORT FOR ONE POLITICAL CANDIDATE OVER ANOTHER.
IF WE ARE GOING TO MOVE FORWARD WITH THIS LET 'S DO THIS RIGHT. IT IS DISINGENUOUS TO SAY WE ARE DOING MEDICAL MARIJUANA WHEN WE ALREADY HAVE PROPOSITION 215.
Access is not the issue. Advocates blindly push this as a betterment issue. Who benefits? The people already have marijuana. It will be profiteers who benefit.
The real issue that we should be discussing is the federal categorization of MJ as a schedule 1 drug and an honest discussion of legalization of MJ in the State of California.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Substance abuse is a grim issue that affects the Canadian inmate population; it can be defined as overindulgence in or dependence on an addictive substance, especially alcohol or drugs. Within Canada, 80% of offenders entering the federal prison system are identified as having a substance abuse problem (MacPherson, 2004); this goes beyond mere indication of tougher drug legislation, it uncovers further discrepancy. Due to the immense majority of offenders affected by this complex mental illness, in addition to varied levels of individual cognitive ability.... [tags: Substance Abuse]
2044 words (5.8 pages)
- “Drugs and Alcohol abuse”, are phrases we hear commonly on the radio, television or in discussions of social problems. People believe it is the user’s personal choice however; it is not only a personal problem that dramatically affects individuals’ life but is a major social problem that affects society as whole. It has become one of the biggest problems in United States today. Alcohol or Drug abuse nearly automatically is linked with criminal acts. The statistical association between alcohol or drug abuse with crime seems to be convincing when examined at the first glance; however, it is not possible to make a conclusion concerning a distinct cause and effect association between the two asp... [tags: Drug Abuse, Substance Abuse]
1278 words (3.7 pages)
- Substance Abuse in the Workplace Substance abuse in the workplace is one of the top concerns in the United States today. “Studies show that 73 percent of drug users are employed, costing American businesses billions of dollars annually in lost production and staffing costs (Walsh).” “Due to higher employment rates and rising substance abuse, the chances that your organization employs one of these 8.1 million workers is greater today than it has been in the past several years (Walsh).” Studies also reveal that employees who abuse drugs have a tremendously harmful effect on the workplace.... [tags: Illegal Drugs Alcohol Addiction Papers]
2501 words (7.1 pages)
- Illegal drug abuse and substance abuse in general is a pervasive social issue in the United States and the world at large, tearing apart lives and often condemning those addicted to a life in poverty. Often, people perceive substance abuse to be an entirely (or mostly) urban phenomenon, that chaotic “city” life is a magnet for substance abuse whilst life in a tightly knit “small town” is likely to discourage the practice. However, this is entirely a misconception; substance abuse does occur in rural communities, and where it does it perhaps is more prevalent than in urban areas.... [tags: Drug addiction, Addiction, Drug abuse]
753 words (2.2 pages)
- Coping with a dual diagnosis of mental illness and substance abuse proves to be especially challenging; not only are they dangerous in their right, but each disease maneuvers differently on the road to recovery. However, little is known about the perspectives and experience of individuals who suffer from a dual diagnosis of this nature. Carla Green, Micah Yarborough, Michael Polen, Shannon Janoff, and Bobbi Jo Yarborough (2015) conducted a qualitative analysis of interview data from a mixed-methods longitudinal study from severe mental illnesses.... [tags: Mental disorder, Schizophrenia, Psychiatry]
794 words (2.3 pages)
- Unfortunately, due to lack of maturity and an impulsive nature, many people start experimenting in the adolescent years. According to Johnston, O’Malley, & Schulenberg (as cited in National Institute of Drug Abuse, 2014), “by the time they are seniors, almost 70 percent of high school students will have tried alcohol, half will have taken an illegal drug, nearly 40 percent will have smoked a cigarette, and more than 20 percent will have used a prescription drug for a nonmedical purpose” (p. 8). The pubescence years are a time of significant physical, psychological, social, emotional, and intellectual development.... [tags: Addiction, Drug addiction]
1729 words (4.9 pages)
- Drug abuse is common among individuals that experience a traumatic event in his or her life. Drugs are usually taken to alleviate physical, mental, or emotional pain. Two drugs that are often abused are morphine and alcohol because of its addictive nature. Women and men are affected differently depending on the type of drug that they abuse. As seen in A Long Days Journey into Night by Eugene O’Neill, Mary Tyrone seems to be affected mentally by her morphine addiction, whereas the men, Tyrone, Jamie, Edmund, in the household appear to be affected physically by their alcohol addiction.... [tags: illegal substance overuse and addiction]
1282 words (3.7 pages)
- ... In the end you just end up addicted to tobacco. Many people don’t know the real ingredients to what they are smoking. Don’t people know how many chemicals Tobaccos Company’s put in their cigarettes. Marlboro a well-known cigarette brand put some of the ingredients on their website. Marlboro has many ingredients that are not hazards to the human body, but they only show water, sugars, cocoa, carob bean, nature artificial flavors, and diammonium phosphate. What are the ingredients that harm the body.... [tags: detriments of smoking]
1249 words (3.6 pages)
- The overcrowding issues in prisons, the gangs in prisons and the illegal drugs and substances. In this assignment, I will be discussing respectively in order on these three issues and what can be done to correct it. In additions, I will be discussing about what I would do to rectify these issues if I were in charge, I will be using my own ideas along with the researches from credible sources to support my ideas. First, I would like to discuss about the overcrowding issues in prisons. Prison is not a good and enjoyable place to be in a first place however, more people are going to prison.... [tags: correctional systems, criminal justice]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- If I were an advisor to the Governor of Missouri, the issue I would encourage him to address is the manufacture of drugs and the use of drugs and alcohol throughout our state. The advice I would give him is to impose stiffer penalties for those who manufacture drugs and focus on prevention, and, most importantly, rehabilitation, of those who abuse alcohol or drugs.According to the Missouri Department of Mental Health, alcohol and drug abuse affects more than 259,000 Missourians and another 800,000 who are family members of substance abusers.... [tags: Substance Abuse Essays]
998 words (2.9 pages)