When thinking about the quote ‘existence precedes essence’, the concept lends room for credibility that Morrie was right in suggesting that the fundamental truth of human existence rests upon love. In Mitch Albom’s non-fictional piece, Tuesdays with Morrie, the professor, who recounted during the last elderly and dying days of his life, provides philosophical instructions as a curriculum in wisdom. Lessons for living, uncovered in conversations with Morrie, reflected his attitude as an offender that against the social values of being selfish for material or financial gain only. Morrie’s awareness of human existence taking precedence over the everyday ignorance of love between others, which is the ultimate of what matters, can be summed up in at least one statement quote from the book. That is, “You see, you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too” (Abom 61). Instead of depending on the five senses, Morrie relied completely on his pure feelings of trustees and love with other people, which prove the existence of other unique individuals.By placing a loving responsibility on his sh...
... middle of paper ...
...y. On the other hand, people are sometimes robbed of their individual freedom to pursue their own goals and plans, which may push people to do hideous and evil things. Thus, people should meditate on a realization that will address heir existence in the society. An individual for only thinks for himself will cause envy and rebellion. If people selfishly think of their needs, then the society as a whole will have lots of chaos and troubles. Indifference will always be the opposite of love. People should not just have the mindset that they exist to benefit for themselves. An individual should think that he exists because e is a vital cog in the existence of a whole, which will just be possible if there is, first and foremost, the word love. The foundation of existentialism is built upon the most valuable part of humanity- love, and because of love, we exists.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Reflective Paper Death is an unfortunate yet necessary part of life. Exposure to death throughout my life has served as undeniable proof of my own mortality. Though I have not yet experienced any deaths of my immediate family or any close friends, I have seen it more indirectly through the media and deaths of acquaintances by fatal car accidents, overdoses, and suicides. I have also lost numerous childhood pets, which were probably some of my first more traumatic death experiences. The death of my grandpa William was the first funeral I remember attending and was also the largest gathering of mourning family members I have witnessed.... [tags: Death, Family, Life, Human]
1018 words (2.9 pages)
- Death and We Real Cool "The sluggard’s craving will be the death of him, because his hands refuse to work" (Proverbs 21:25). The Bible makes a very clear statement in this passage as to how being lazy can be the cause of one’s death. "We Real Cool" is about seven African-American high school dropouts who want everybody else to think that they are cool. These teenagers explain how they stay out late playing pool, fighting, sinning and drinking. Though they think they have everybody else fooled, they know themselves that the destructive behavior they are taking part in will lead to their death.... [tags: We Real Cool Essays Gwendolyn Brooks Bible]
1051 words (3 pages)
- ... This could develop into full post-mortem mobility. A dead host came from a drawback to an advantage, becoming a mobile platform for spore distribution. Zombie hunger drive may have originated from the spores distribution method. The development refinement of the fungal neural system, allowing for zombies to be more coordinated and to run at a full speed. This behavior may seem unlikely, in the animal world. Some species of parasitic wasps are able to reprogram behavioral patterns of their hosts (bees, and ants) creating new behaviors beneficial to the wasps and the detrimental of the host.... [tags: fungi, neurotoxins, nanobots]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- Death is a topic some people often like avoiding because it can be followed with a variety of emotions, usually saddening ones. The reason is because we truly don’t know what happens after death, and losing a loved one can be quite emotionally taxing. I remember one of the first assignments I had, a scavenger hunt, left me pensive in wondering how other people view death and the topics surrounding it. I requested assistance to look for greeting card that revolved around death and dying, and I received, for the most part, weird looks and bewilderment.... [tags: Death, Afterlife, Euthanasia, Reincarnation]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- Technology always helped bring the listener closer to the music. Progressing from wax tubes, to records, to cassettes, to CDs, each jump has benefited the music fan. But maybe it 's gone a bit too far. In today’s time we listen to music through headphones that damage the ears. In the past ten years Auto-Tune has been the death of real music. “Dr Andy Hildebrand is the inventor of the voice pitch-correcting software called Auto-Tune”(Bellis). The first song published using Auto-Tune on the vocals was the 1998 song "Believe" by Cher.... [tags: Singing, Music, MTV Video Music Awards]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- When growing up I always had plenty of deaths in the family. I was never able to understand how a person, especially a child could experience 3-6 deaths a year. My heart was broken, eyes swollen, and emotionally unstable at the time. The truth be told I did not realize what to resolve with myself, besides lock in my emotions and fake they weren’t there. As a young man, I was taught not to show fear, tears, but only happiness. One day a remarkable shock hit me when I received a call about my grandfather’s death.... [tags: Death of a Salesman, Family, Truth, Reality]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- Is Mercy Killing Really Merciful. The definition of the term “mercy” is giving compassion or forgiveness to someone that doesn’t deserve it. Has anyone ever thought of suicide as a compassionate act. Euthanasia comes from the greek word eu meaning good and thanatos meaning death. Has anyone ever thought of suicide being good. Andrew Coyne says, “A society that believes in nothing can offer no argument even against death. A culture that has lost its faith in life cannot comprehend why it should be endured.” We take life for granted and forget that it is a gift and not something we should just be able to end when it is most convenient for us.... [tags: Death, Euthanasia, Medical ethics, Homicide]
1263 words (3.6 pages)
- Afterlife is (in some religions) life after death. Those who feel that death is a positive factor in someone life may argue that there is an afterlife waiting for people, animals and all other living things in the world that are destined to become deceased. While others against death may argue that death is the final chapter in a person’s life and there is nothing awaiting them afterwards. However, I believe that death is not the end of the road. There is exploratory confirmation to recommend that life can proceed after death, according to the biggest medical study carried out on the subject.... [tags: Death, Afterlife, Near death experience, Heaven]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- Everyone is going to die; it is a fact of life. Every living thing on this planet will cease to exist at one point or another. John Donne, Walt Whitman, and Mary Oliver all acknowledge this fact in their poetry, but they go beyond the reality of the situation. In “Death Be Not Proud”, John Donne tells Death that it is a slave and eventually it will not be needed. Walt Whitman says that death does not exist and the soul is immortal in “Song of Myself”. Lastly, in “When Death Comes” Oliver describes a vision of life to avoid fearing death.... [tags: Soul, Life, Immortality, Death]
988 words (2.8 pages)
- In the United States, since the 1970s there have been more than 1270 executions according to the death penalty information center (Fact Sheet), What’s alarming about that number, is the number of people who were condemned to be executed based on race, income and social status alone, targeting those that could not afford good legal counsel, and were appointed attorneys that were “inexperienced and had below appropriate professional standards” (Hessick 1069), which sealed the fate of those literally fighting for their lives, on the day of sentencing.... [tags: capital punishment, death penalty]
1445 words (4.1 pages)
- Socialization Is Defined As The Lasting Process
- The Great Gatsby, Winter Dreams, And The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
- Case Analysis : Australian Accounting Standards Board
- Colonial History Of Haiti And Modern Social, Political, Economic And Environmental Problems Facing Haiti Today
- Activity Based Funding ( Abf )
- Summary Of ' The Hunger Games ' By Jean Jacques Rousseau And Charles Darwin