As summer is fast approaching, the sounds of the ice cream truck can be heard all over the neighborhood. Recently these ice cream trucks have been replaced by frozen yogurt trucks, a healthier alternative to ice cream. Ice cream is filled with calories and fat grams, however even though people are calorie conscious, the ice-cream industry is a multi billion dollar business. In 2014, Breyers ice cream came into the top five highest earning ice cream companies in America. With over 300 million dollars in profit, Breyers ice cream is very popular. Statistically, chocolate and vanilla are the most popular ice cream flavors, I have decided to research vanilla ice cream, because that is my personal preference.
Ice cream is a very high calorie food, as a snack it can take up a huge amount of daily calorie intake. The nutrition information states that a serving size of ice cream is half of a cup, that half a cup equals 140 calories. In that 140 calories is 22% of daily saturated fat and 11% of total fat. Reading this nutrition label does not sound so bad, yet the average person does not stop at half a cup. When a whole cup is eaten, the fat grams instantly double, so even though the calories are not too bad, from all the fat present in the food, weight gain would be inevitable.
The world of ice cream has changed, what was previously a dessert for special occasions, has become a regular at the supper table. Children crave sugar, and then they turn into adults they crave sugar and anything sweet. According to an article written last year, one woman got so tired of her child’s addiction to sugar, she decided to stop it once and for all. She gave the little boy sweets all day, cupcakes, ic...
... middle of paper ...
...her various toppings accompany ice cream. Especially in vanilla ice cream, people are more likely to add some extra flavor, which consequentially adds more calories to the treat.
According to a survey done on American adults in 2012, vanilla and chocolate were the most eaten flavors of ice cream, with strawberry in third. Also according to the survey, most people prefer to eat their ice cream in a cone. A question on the survey asked how many times in a two-week period ice cream was eaten; the results are that more than fifty percent of the subjects eat ice cream twice in a two-week period. The survey also questioned the portion size of the ice cream eaters. The average person included in the survey consumed three scoops of ice cream at each time.
There seems to be a great craving for ice cream all over the world, scientists now believe that this
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Haagen –Dazs is one of the main Magnum competitors in the ice cream industry. The brand has come a long way since it was created some time back in 1960s by Bronx couple. The founders pioneered the mass market premium category with higher butterfat content and a casual name meant to evoke Danish. The firm is currently owned by General Mills and consumers across the world have made purchases of its products up to $ 2.09 billion by 2015. Cornetto is another competitor whose target customers are children (Salo 34).... [tags: Pricing, Marketing, Butterfat, Milk]
1438 words (4.1 pages)
- Marketing Strategy for the Mars Ice Cream Bar My Aims for this Report In this report I will be focusing my attention on Mars Ice Cream Bar. I will investigate how they promote their product. I will do this by investigating how they advertise their product, and where, as well as looking at how they package their product and at the same time I will look at where they sell the Mars ice cream bar. Also I will be investigating their main rivals and compare their marketing mix’s. This will give me a better chance of giving good suggestions on how they could improve their ice cream product to bring in a larger revenue and get away from their main rivals so they could dominate the ice cream bar ma... [tags: Business Management Case Study Analysis, solution]
781 words (2.2 pages)
- What comes to mind when the word “hemp” is mentioned in a conversation. Even with easily accessible information, there still seems to be confusion about the realities of hemp. “Hemp called 'Billion Dollar Crop.' It was the first time a cash crop had a business potential to exceed a billion dollars (Popular Mechanics, 1938) but because of the many uses it possesses, it still remains illegal to grow in the United States. To legally grow cannabis in any of its’ forms in the United States, one must obtain a permit from the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) but the strange thing is that the DEA isn’t giving any permits out.... [tags: Cash Crop, Billion Dollar Crop, Marijuana]
2130 words (6.1 pages)
- 1. Which segments of the general external environment, if any, are relevant to the Russian. Cream industry. Why. One of the favorite snack and desert of Russians since 1900s ice cream was considered one of the best in the world. The popularity had grown since and in 1990 the per capita consumption of ice cream by Russians was 6.95 pounds mainly distributed through kiosk, supermarket, grocessary store, restaurants and cafés. The Russian ice cream industries were facing lot of completion and global pressure to meet up with the benchmarking that the American franchise Haagen- Dazs and Baskin & Robbins has set.... [tags: Ice cream, Marketing, Brand, Soviet Union]
1578 words (4.5 pages)
- Supply and Demand It is inside of the human beings nature to trade with each other since their apparition there are million of years. From the middle age to nowadays societies, the use of the currency as mean of trade become popular among societies and more people were able to establish commerce of different articles. Having Decided to open a small ice cream stand on campus called “Ice-Campused” to apply my business and economical skill I noticed that there are days where ice creams remain unsold but other days where there are not enough ice creams for the number of customers.... [tags: Supply and demand, Ice cream]
880 words (2.5 pages)
- Ice Cream Who does not love a scoop of indulgent ice cream. However, does anyone really know how or why people came to like, or more importantly, eat ice cream to this day. Ice cream has been around since the 13th century, maybe even before then, but the actual discovery or creation of ice cream still has yet to be answered. Since its creation, it has made its way all around the globe and has been altered by many cultures to fit their specific qualifications. With different lifestyles and desires, ice cream not only can be altered in flavor, but also has been changed to give many nutritional benefits for those of certain qualities and needs.... [tags: Ice cream, Milk, Custard, Butterfat]
796 words (2.3 pages)
- Ben and Jerry's Premium Ice Cream Products Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream is a brand name company known worldwide. With superior marketing techniques Ben and Jerry's has positioned themselves to be the leader in manufacturing premium ice cream products. They have successfully targeted their market, and there by achieved a strong customer base. The mission statement of their product line is "to make, distribute, and sell the finest quality all natural ice cream while incorporating wholesome, natural ingredients and promoting business practices that respect the earth and the environment".(1) This company is known to be a monopolistically competitive, because there are still many firms and consum... [tags: Business Analysis Ice Cream]
1422 words (4.1 pages)
- Ice-Fili and the Russian Ice-Cream Market The Russian Ice Cream market is worth $ 500 million, with Ice Fili as the market leader. The industry concentration, determined by the market share of the four largest firms in a sector is low for Russian ice-cream industry. It indicates that the industry is highly fragmented and competitive. The industry has experienced a low growth rate of ~ 3.5 % for the last two years and the other factors influencing the overall market size, like the population and the per capita consumption of ice cream have been stagnant over the years.... [tags: Ice Cream Industry Market Russia business]
1747 words (5 pages)
- The Possibilities of Expanding the Business into New Overseas Markets As international marketing consultant of Mackie’s of Scotland, the ice cream maker, it is my duty to consider the possibilities of expanding the business into new overseas markets, successfully. The Scottish ice cream market will be researched thoroughly. The UK target market of Mackie’s will be analysed. Finally a suitable country will be chosen to market the product to. The countries that will be selected from will be Saudi Arabia, Germany or Ireland.... [tags: Business Management Economy Ireland Essays]
3694 words (10.6 pages)
- Strategic Management of Quaker Oats Company Introduction The Quaker Oats Company, officially formed in 1901, is currently undergoing massive reorganization, which will dramatically change its position in the industry. Over the last four years, Quaker Oats' returns have been consistently rocky. Quaker unloaded Snapple, its ice-cream toppings and condiments business, and its frozen bagel business 1997. The company has turned to an emphasis on its high performing products such as Gatorade and bagged cereals.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1814 words (5.2 pages)