With my school chromebook perched on my lap, I log in to the Genesis website and eagerly click on ‘Scheduling’ to see my math class placement for the upcoming 2014-15 semester. I take one look at the page, and freeze. My blood runs cold.
There on the page, it reads, “MATH ADV 7.” Dread courses through my body, and my mouth fills with a bitter taste. For a few seconds, the truth is inconceivable: I will not be in Algebra next year. I will not be studying math at the same level as all of my friends. I will not be recognized any longer by my peers as the diligent, conscientious student that I had always been. What will they think of me? Who will I become?
Oh, well. I guess that I can’t have everything. In fact, on top of being on a swim team, ...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Use of a Portfolio to Assess Students in Math and Science For a young child, going off to school can be an intimidating experience. Thoughts of whether the other children will like them, if they will have enough money to buy an ice cream at lunch, or if they will have homework that night overwhelms their minds. However, a major part of schooling is testing, and many children freeze when they hear that word. Think about yourself in a testing situation then imagine what it is like for a young child to feel this defeating anxiety.... [tags: Assessing Children Math Science]
2879 words (8.2 pages)
- What is math. If you had asked me that question at the beginning of the semester, then my answer would have been something like: “math is about numbers, letters, and equations.” Now, however, thirteen weeks later, I have come to realize a new definition of what math is. Math includes numbers, letters, and equations, but it is also so much more than that—math is a way of thinking, a method of solving problems and explaining arguments, a foundation upon which modern society is built, a structure that nature is patterned by…and math is everywhere.... [tags: real life application of the number science]
852 words (2.4 pages)
- One of the biggest transitions for students is going from High School to College. At college there is a huge amount of responsibility. Your education is in your own hands; you decide whether you succeed or fail. You don’t have your parents reminding you of homework, setting priorities and rules. It is up to you to make guidelines and follow through with them. The same goes with your professors; they won’t harass you about turning in assignments. It doesn’t matter to them --whether you pass or fail—they still get paid.... [tags: High school, College, School, University]
1224 words (3.5 pages)
- Can Personality and level of intelligence be changed. Is it possible for someone to change his or her personality. Even though it seems odd, the answer is yes. The first considerable thing is the meaning of personality. As we all know, “personality means an individual’s characteristic and relatively consistent pattern of thinking, feeling, and behaving.” Most people think that personality is unique and encoded in our genes and impossible to change, but the truth is personality can be changed just like many other things.... [tags: Human, Religion, Thought, Change]
1039 words (3 pages)
- When we are born, we are identified by our gender, name and race. We are weighed and measured at the hospital to be part of a statistic, and then a few days later we are brought home by our parents. These are identities that we cannot control; they are what society expects from adults who decide to have children, so we can be properly placed under a category where we will remain for the majority of our lives. Even when we start school, we can’t just decide that we are too smart or not smart enough for a certain grade level.... [tags: Educational years, High school, Race]
1304 words (3.7 pages)
- In Iran you are required to take a test after each educational level and the tests are different, based on how good the school you want to get in is. Basically your goal in each educational level is to get into a good school and everybody works as hard as they can to succeed. It’s like doing the same thing we do in our senior year for 3 times, after each educational level. The tests are harder and even more time consuming than the SAT; they include mathematics, English, Arabic and sciences such as chemistry, physics and biology.... [tags: Education, Teacher, High school, School]
704 words (2 pages)
- I can say that high school is very different than college and that this was expected because obviously they are two different levels of education. I can say the concept of high school is the same as college. For example, go to school, study and pass. Sounds easy, but trust me, it is not. Another factor worth mentioning is that students in high school are pampered compared to students in college. I am saying this because I am feeling the difference myself as I finish my first term. This is where my high school experience kicks in.... [tags: High school, College, Academic term]
993 words (2.8 pages)
- For my interviews I went down a bit of a different path with at least one of them. The two teachers I talked to was an elementary teacher, Cindy White, from Pocatello who now works for the school district helping teachers in the area with math skills and my other teacher is an American Government teacher that I know from online. I’m not close friends with her so we don’t talk in depth so I’ll just call her Ladyhistory which is her Tumblr name. These two teachers were different in their approach to teaching but also in my reaction to their ideas.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, High school]
1406 words (4 pages)
- Relationship Education at the Secondary Level The process of education begins from the day we are born until the day we pass on from this earth. When in this evolution and sophistication of education, however, are we taught to think for ourselves and develop our own ideas about the world. Although we are nurtured to make life decisions on a daily basis, the relationship between the college, university, and society is where core competencies are molded to help drive us toward the desired professional roads to be taken.... [tags: Teaching Teachers Essays]
1666 words (4.8 pages)
- To begin with, the generation today and the generation yesterday are two completely different worlds. In the past, if you didn’t understand the material presented in math class nor had generous friends who would tutor you, chances are you didn’t do very well on the test. Today however, we have so many resources available to students to help them understand the concepts covered in class. Not to mention most of these resources can be found on the internet which can be accessed twenty four hours a day, seven days a week.... [tags: faster learning, math, education]
1058 words (3 pages)