Most teenagers including myself suffer from a major disorder: procrastination. I became aware of my procrastinator tendencies in the ninth grade when I turned five assignments in late in Earth Science for no reason. It became so worrisome that my teacher called my mother to discuss my grades and, what he deemed, laziness. My mother confronted me that following evening, and when I could not find a legitimate excuse for my late assignments, I realized I had a real problem. Over the years, I’ve used several names to excuse myself: tiredness, headaches, senioritis, to name a few. Although this incident opened my eyes, my procrastination has only gotten worse. This problem is not limited to school work. In fact, at times, my room has gone without being cleaned for several weeks; I often find myself lying on my bed, contemplating how long it can go without posing a serious health hazard to myself and my family. My obsession with my cell phone may not be the only cause contributing to m...
... middle of paper ...
...one number or snapchat username, and again, she can instantly reply. This instant gratification takes all of the work out of a relationship and decreases the quality of the relationship. It can create a relationship devoid of any real feelings and allows these relationships to become detached from the people involved. Both aspects of this effect have detrimental long term consequences that are directly related to increased cell phone use.
Having a smartphone might have seemed like a beneficial concept, but it has turned into a detrimental problem with time. The long-term effects of having information and the internet largely outweigh the benefits. If I could go back to the days of flip phones and buying minute cards, I would without question. I regret ever subjecting myself to such an addictive lifestyle that requires so much time and affects my life so adversely.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Beginning of Basketball Have you ever had an interest in how something was invented. An interest in how your favorite activity or hobby came about. Ever since I was introduced to sports and how competitive it was, I became hooked. I enjoy playing football, basketball, and baseball. Of the three main sports that I play, basketball seems to be my favorite. It challenges endurance, speed, accuracy, agility, and strength. I feel guilty not knowing who created the game that takes up most of my free-time.... [tags: History Basketball]
1192 words (3.4 pages)
- ... There were days where I would have morning practice, last hour practice, and then I would drive an hour to Tulsa for another two to three hour conditioning practice with my summer team. All of this success helped me achieve many accolades my senior year. I was able to earn Oklahoma All State Honors, as well as Indian All State Honors. This also helped me gain a spot on the Rogers State University women’s basketball team. My feelings about the sport of basketball go back to when I was in first grade.... [tags: High school, Cheerleading, Basketball]
782 words (2.2 pages)
- One Team has to Fall "Shannon you are going to take this three and win the game for us" Coach said. Senior night for my teammates. I was a tenth grader taking the final shoot to win the game. Everything was going through my head, I cannot let down the seniors on senior night or I am only a sophomore I should not be taking this shoot. I knew when it came down to it I could make this shoot and I was the best one at doing it. My tenth grade basketball season was different than I expected. Three players quit from last season and I was supposed to be fighting for the starting shooting guard or winger job.... [tags: Game, Play, The Black Wall Street Records, Games]
1386 words (4 pages)
- All the graduating classes before you and the upperclassmen all tell you from you first day of high school, enjoy it while it last because it flies by. You never really take that to heart until you’re doing things in high school for the last time. For example, last first day of high school, your last homecoming parade, assembly, dance, last prom, and last time cheering on the football team in negative below weather. While sitting at these last events and activities is when the tears flow, and you really soak in your experiencing high school for the last time.... [tags: High school, School, Basketball]
1181 words (3.4 pages)
- Generally speaking it is every freshman dream to play varsity. In my case, however, it is quite the opposite. I started playing basketball in the seventh grade. For me a the time it was just a way for me to pass the time and stay in shape of track. I ended up playing into my eighth and freshman year or high school. Its was a lot of fun and I was having a good time. As soon as the summer going into highschool hit, things made a complete one eighty. I went to work under the varsity coach. He was a tough man to work under.... [tags: Learning, Play, 2008 albums]
1213 words (3.5 pages)
- ... The sport goes even further back than this though. It was about 500 years ago and the Mexican Aztecs and Mayan people would play a similar sport where instead of a basketball they would use a decapitated skull of their defeated foes. the first basketball game that we play and know was on January 20th 1892. James Naismith made the sport for YMCA to play when it was cold in the winter. they would use two peach baskets on each side of the court. Some of the original rules were changes such as in the original sport they could not bounce the ball.... [tags: baseball, basketball, july, christmas]
844 words (2.4 pages)
- My start in tennis started different than most. That is because my father is a tennis professional. Not the type of pro that plays around the world but a teaching pro that works at a tennis club. Naturally my parents started to have me take lesson when I was fairly young, I would say around 4 to 5 years old. I didn’t stick with it originally and at around 7 I stopped playing tennis altogether. My dad never tried to force me to play tennis and even encourage me to play other sports. I started playing basketball around the same time I stopped playing tennis.... [tags: High school, College, Tennis, Play]
1446 words (4.1 pages)
- ... But, when I got to high school at Lafayette Christian Academy, I started showing a glimpse that I can be an overall line back. It did not truly happen until the biggest play of my career came. When I told my teammate, Sterling Miller that I was going take it all the way to the end, he did not believe me. The longest run I had before the big one was a 45 yards rush but I got caught from behind and missed the touchdown by ten yards. When I ran the longest touchdown of my career, it changed the way I felt about football and my life.... [tags: American football, High school, Middle school]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- When you look at a basketball what do you see. Most would see an orange, sphere, shaped rubber ball. There are black lines and real leather. If you look closer, you would even see the size of the ball in which you are playing with. A basketball could be just a toy for many, or even represent a release for others, but for me, it means a lot more. A basketball represents my blood, sweat, tears, passion, sacrifice, and most of all, a sense of belonging, like a family. At this moment in my life, there are only three things I devote my life to- family, friends, and basketball.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Essay About Myself]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- Playing Basketball Being part of the basketball clique in high school helped me learn the intrapersonal and social communication skills I use today. As a child playing basketball was my favorite activity or hobby. It's also the way I met a lot of my good friends that I have now. All my close friends I have met. I have met them through playing basketball.. Whether they were on my team, the opposing team or just fans in the crowd who admired my play. Not only has basketball helped me gain friends, but basketball also taught me a lot about life.... [tags: Personal Narrative Essays]
682 words (1.9 pages)
- Mobile Gaming Is The Future Of The Gaming Industry
- America 's Most Overrated Product : The Bachelor 's Degree
- Analysis Of Toni Morrison 's ' The Construction Of Our National Identity '
- Human Trafficking And The United States
- Public Health Services : The Public Heath Attention Shifted From Communicable Diseases
- The Self Concept Of Self Esteem