I knew I was different than other people but I could just never figure out the cause of my problem. My thoughts were extremely dark as a child. I would think about ways to kill myself like it was a game. Looking around me I would see random objects and think what would happen if I or someone else used them to kill me. For example, I was in first grade doing addition with a pencil one day and the thoughts started to take over. I envisioned my teacher coming over to my desk, taking the pencil and stabbing me in the skull with it and how I would fall over instantly dead, the blood turning my blond hair red and staining the carpet. I was not even sure what provoked me to have such thoughts, but they happened daily. I finally tried to tell my parents I was having trouble. I re...
... middle of paper ...
...lot about myself and how to live with my mental illness. I still struggle every day, but the thoughts are much easier to ignore and manage when I am getting help and have someone who is supportive of my progress.
Mental illness has dictated how I have lived much my life from the time I was young. From having suicidal thoughts from the time I could practically think to acting on those tendencies to end the pain later on, it has been a constant struggle. I had been alive for twenty years and attempted suicide over fifty times before I decided I wanted to live. Having someone who is supportive makes a world of difference. It has helped me learn to love myself and was a big factor in me deciding to get help. I still struggle with my will to live, but I look around me and see the hope and the beauty of the world and decide I want to stay a little longer each time.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Remember The Titans Remember The Titans is based on a true story. The movie takes place in Alexandria, Virginia in the years 1971-1981. Sheryl, Coach Yoast’s daughter, is the one who tells the story of the Titans. The movie starts off in a cemetery where Sheryl tells the story about the Titans and their journey. Football is the way of life for the boys in Virginia. This time in history, the T.C. Williams High School is the first school for integration of African Americans and Caucasians. Coach Yoast, who is Caucasian, is the head coach of the football program at T.C.... [tags: Remember the Titans, Herman Boone]
1317 words (3.8 pages)
- I first became aware that people were different racially at the age of seven years old, when my parents and grandparents would tell us how our ancestors and grandparents were treated by white people before I was born. They taught us about slavery and told us all the things black people would get in trouble for, such as drinking out of the white people water fountain which was not allowed. We would listen to the stories of how my great grandmother went to jail for beating a white police officer for putting his hands on her and calling her bad names.... [tags: Black people, African American, Race]
1842 words (5.3 pages)
- Forgive the length of this, but I really wanted to get this off my chest after so many years. I’ve been a Christian for my entire life, but I do not consider myself a religious person. I was raised in the Lutheran church so most of my beliefs come from there although I don’t really associate myself with any church anymore. When I was around 17, I began to become skeptical and question my beliefs due to being subjected to logical science most of my life. I can’t ignore logic, as that would be, well, illogical.... [tags: Christianity, New Testament, Old Testament]
938 words (2.7 pages)
- The author’s central reason for writing this book is that Old Testament ethics are misinterpreted by New Atheists (and the world) largely due to the fact that they don’t take the nuances of cultural, linguistic, or theological contexts into consideration when evaluating scripture. A crucial element of interpreting scripture and Old Testament ethics is understanding the cultural context of the Near East in relation to Israel and how that affected the slow process God needed to use to integrate His ideal on Israel.... [tags: Bible, Old Testament, Canaan, Israelites]
1334 words (3.8 pages)
- According to the www.huffingtonpost.com online article titled “Going To College At 63: 'You're Never Too Old To Live Your Dream'” Ms. Natale is not too old to complete her degree. In this article a woman tells her life story about hardships that she endured throughout her life that was a big result as to why she wasn’t able to finish high school or attend college at the age she should have done so. The woman states in the article that, and I paraphrase “you’re never too old to go back to school as long as you have breath in your body.” In class we watched a documentary titled Over 90 and loving it and a score of people that ranged from the age of 90 to over 100 years old were being interview... [tags: old, school, caregiver]
1016 words (2.9 pages)
- My earliest realization of racial differences was at the age of six years old. My family and I moved from the public housing projects near downtown Phoenix to our very first home in the Maryvale neighborhood in Phoenix, AZ. My old school was predominantly African American, but at my new school, I was one of only a few African American students in my class. I can recall the differences in our skin color and the texture of our hair. My mother would sometimes braid my hair and I can remember comments regarding this different hairstyle.... [tags: Black people, Race, Racism, African American]
1517 words (4.3 pages)
- I’m the mother of a typical eleven-year-old son, Andrew. Andrew’s a typical 2016 kid, in the way that he loves things like Pokemon, Ipad, Legos, DS, PlayStation and WII. Andrew wouldn’t be the typical child when I grew up in the eighties. Kids in the 1980s would be riding bikes, building forts outside, and not coming to the house until it gets dark outside. Times have changed in the last twenty years. I remember playing outside for hours and hours without checking in with my parents. As a parent now, I wouldn’t even consider allowing Andrew to play outside for long periods of time without checking in with me.... [tags: Parent, Parenting, Want, Family]
1251 words (3.6 pages)
- An Icon to Remember During the Late Byzantium Period a new burst of creative energy grasped the Russian artists. More artists emerged as Russians became increasingly interested in art. Earlier in the Byzantium Period “art that had to do with religious worship, like statues and any religious imagery throughout the empire, was destroyed under Leo III in iconoclasm” (Kleiner and Mamiya 326). This era lasted nearly one hundred years. During this period icon painting became very popular. “These paintings are small portable paintings depicting Christ, the Virgin, or Saints” (Kleiner and Mamiya 342).... [tags: Essays Papers]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- Everyone should remember that fateful day when terrorist threatened our country. The planes crashed straight into two of our most prized and memorable buildings in New York. People were terrified, shocked and devastated when the news spread. That moment will forever be engraved in our minds. So many lives were changed in a matter of minutes. September 11th, 2001, was the beginning of my mind opening journey to get home. It started out as a trip my Grammy and I made to Utah, to visit my cousin and her family.... [tags: personal narrative]
654 words (1.9 pages)
- Remember Me Throughout life you will meet many different people. Some of them you will forget in a matter of minutes. Others you might think about every now and then, wondering how life is treating them. Then there are the people that touch you in some way. Maybe just because they smile at you everyday, maybe they are there for you at times when no one else is, or maybe they did something special for you that was greatly appreciated. Whatever the reason, there are always people out there that you will remember.... [tags: essays papers]
708 words (2 pages)