My mother is one of my biggest supporters and critics. As a single mother, she raised me in the West Indian community in Bronx, New York; Kingston, Jamaica; and finally Bergen County, New Jersey. She is strict and loving all in one.
I watched her gracefully manage a successful career at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York before resigning to complete her college education. I remember it like it was yesterday; I attended my mother’s graduation from Pace University in New York and then quickly headed back to New Jersey to attend my high school senior prom the same day.
My mother and I are very close—I’m an only child—and watching her overcome obstacles as a parent and as a businesswoman has inspired me. I admire her assertiveness and willingness to help others. When I face battles in my life I don’t call my mother to help me out of it, as young people often do, I call he...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Attention Getter: Mia Hamm. Peyton Manning. Steve Nash. Here are just a few great athletes that most of us have heard of. But what is it that makes us look up to them. What is it that makes them great. The truth is that sports are only a small part of what makes a person worthy of looking up to. Background information (if applicable): The participation in high school sports this year topped 7.8 million athletes nationwide, which includes 54% of all high school students taking part in athletics (Chen).... [tags: High school, College, Professional sports]
1578 words (4.5 pages)
- Positive and Negative Effects of Video Games The video game technology, like most technologies, has changed drastically in the last few years. Arcades may look much the same on the surface as they did a decade or two ago, but the games have become far more violent, sophisticated and addictive. When one visits the video arcade it is not surprising to see children pointing and shooting something that looks suspiciously like a real weapon. If Pong – or, for that matter, Pac-Man and Super Mario Brothers – is one’s point of reference, one needs to think again.... [tags: Papers Children Toys Gaming Essays Papers]
2659 words (7.6 pages)
- There were many characteristics in which Lynn Tilton displayed both a good manager and a good leader. According to Turk (2007, p. 20), “The best answer is that a good leader and good manager can, and should, be one and the same.” Lynn knew and understood what it took to make her businesses run, she understood the in and outs of the business and she was very decisive. In addition, she was in tune with every aspect of how to effectively run and operate her business. She knew how each functioning part played a role in the productivity of the business.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Positive psychology]
994 words (2.8 pages)
- Our team is made up of people from different parts of the United States. Like the United States, different persons, or different parts of the country, have diverse attitudes and values. Also, we naturally have different emotions and personalities. For all of our differences, like the United States, we can strive to achieve and excel through collaboration, compromise, and adopting a team first attitude. In terms of increasing the motivation, satisfaction, and performance of the team, the makeup of behavior styles seems like they were naturally designed to motivate each other through strengthening each other’s weaknesses.... [tags: Diversity Teamwork Study Analysis Paper]
793 words (2.3 pages)
- Introduction: Attention Getter: Jack Kevorkian is a well-known doctor in the medical field who gained his nickname, “Dr. Death” after being know to bring up controversial issues and ideas related to death. Finding a way to use organs from death row in ill patients, or using the blood from recently killed soldiers in other soldiers in need of blood transfusion are just a couple of these controversial ideas. He was arresting and tried for helping over 130 men and women end their lives via assisted suicide, and ended up being charged with 2nd degree murder.... [tags: Capital punishment, Murder, Patient, Physician]
1150 words (3.3 pages)
- Attention-getter: Computer technology is by far the most relatable brach in the wide spectrum of technology. The invention of the first programable machine could be considered as one of the most significant inventions of the 20th century, and the essence of such creation has continued to spread throughout the 21st century. Thesis statement: With the power of computers at our hand, our society has made several improvements in different aspects of our everyday life which can range from education, all the way up to the government itself.... [tags: Mobile phone, Computer, Smartphone]
886 words (2.5 pages)
- Much of organisational success is attributed to the quality of its workforce, with many organisations recognising its human resources as their most important asset (Mohammed, Bhatti, Jariko, & Zehri, 2013). A healthy and productive labour force is an important element of reaching organisational success which is why energies have been directed to looking into ways to improve organisations. ). Since the inception of positive psychology, positive leadership has received increasing attention (Searle & Barbuto, 2013) providing significant influence in the corporate world.... [tags: Organization, Employees, Positive Psychology]
2120 words (6.1 pages)
- Positive psychology refers to the strength and abilities that facilitate individuals and the societies to succeed. The arena of positive psychology is created on the trust that the people and the community will have meaningful and fulfilling lives that will facilitate them in being the best among themselves. This leads to better experiences of play, love, and work. It helps in achieving a satisfactory life that is more effective which is better than treating any mental illness. It focuses on the personal growth rather than the pathology.... [tags: Sociology, Psychology, Positive psychology]
1116 words (3.2 pages)
- Effective Teaching strategies In order to be an effective teacher there needs to be an understanding that we all learn differently, this means that no single teaching strategy is effective for all students/learners all the time. This makes teaching a complex process because you need to understand and meet the requirements of all of your learners. Students learn best when they aren’t asked to simply memorise information but when they form their own understandings of what is being taught. When a student has successfully learnt a new idea they are able to then intergrate this information with their previously learnt information and make sense of it.... [tags: Building a Positive ClassroomClimate]
3013 words (8.6 pages)
- The Go-Getter is a story about one man’s drive and persistence. William E. Peck is his name and he is an ex-soldier who was injured in battle. Bill lost one of his arms and had one of his legs shortened because of a gunshot wound. But the story begins as the Ricks & Logging Company is looking for a man who can take over managerial responsibilities in their Shanghai office. The two previous managers have had alcohol problems and have not lived up to their responsibilities. So the company is looking for a replacement.... [tags: essays research papers]
1071 words (3.1 pages)