People think they have a grip on reality, but instead they are just existing in it. Parents ignore their children, friends ignore each other and families just co-exist. I can look around and no one interacts with each other. The people around me are reading their papers or on their phones or other gadgets tapping away. No emotion, no enjoyment and no connection. Even my own daughter sitting across from me can’t be bothered to talk to anything other than the gadget in her manicured hand. What happened to that innocent little girl in my memory? I smile at her, she doesn’t even glance at me. I can’t compete with technology. There is no comparison between the thing you share your whole life wit...
... middle of paper ...
...tep. Even though the sun is blaring down it is still certainly winter. I notice children running about picking up their feet with every stride and stepping down with ease, I smile at their joy.
The Little girl who my daughter used to be, running and laughing. Looking at me in admiration while I walk silently behind a woman who doesn’t know how I’m feeling. My feet slow and I’m dragging behind her fast pace. No point in trying to keep up. We arrive at the palace, I smile and remember the day we had years ago.
‘Emma’ I say as my knees buckle, I stagger and crumple to the floor. I hear muffled shouts as someone notices I’ve fallen. Someone asks if I’m okay but I can feel myself losing a sense of where I am. My eyes close and I imagine a little girl grabbing my hand and pulling me along the road, excited to see where the Queen lives.
I hear the clip clop of her heels.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- People all around the world have many electronic devices, and there are abundant amounts of freedom that come with them. There are so many different technologies to choose from, but one that seems to be quite common among people of all ages, are cell phones. Such technology is great for many uses, but it is not always appropriate in certain settings. The principal at my school has adopted a new policy that bans the use of cell phones during school hours. I support my principal’s decision. Cell phones can be distractions in many ways to students during school.... [tags: Banning Cell Phones, Schools, Cell Phones,]
838 words (2.4 pages)
- Initiating Conversations For me personally, one of the hardest things is initiating conversations. It feels like so many things can go wrong, or when I leave the conversation I feel like I completely messed it up. Approaching people and being the one to start the conversation is hard, especially when you have no idea on how to start a conversation, you do not know what to say and, when you are afraid of embarrassing yourself. Starting a conversation can be challenging if you have no idea how to approach people but there are certain social cues that can be used to determine whether a person is willing to interact.... [tags: Nonverbal communication, Communication, Question]
1377 words (3.9 pages)
- It was a summer day in 1981, and 2.1 million cable-subscribing American households were tuning into Music Television (MTV) for the first time ever. As the first music video – the Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star” – played on the innovative 24-hour music channel, the irony of the lyrics went unappreciated by the teens and young adults of Generation X who sat mesmerized by it, not realizing that culture was about to change forever. This was the launch of a new style of entertainment; one where directors were challenged to tell an entire story corresponding to music in less than four minutes of footage.... [tags: mtv, music video, phones]
1243 words (3.6 pages)
- Should students be permitted to use cell phones during school. The principle at Wesley High School thinks not. The principle believes that it is very distracting to the students and their grades could fall, tests scores could be at an all time low. He also believes that cell phones should be used before school hours and after school hours, but during school is very unacceptable. Plus, students have been caught cheating and are still cheating with their cell phones. Most of the students are with the principle’s policy, but to make it official the student council is having a vote.... [tags: Banning Cell Phones in Schools]
576 words (1.6 pages)
- When I got the assignment, I sat thinking about which technology I felt was most important in my life and became amazed about how popular, of all the technology, cell phones have become. It’s amazing that in our culture we make ourselves available every minute of every day. Many people don’t even have home phones anymore. Cell phones have become more of a necessity more than a need nowadays. They became an essential communication tool. Cell phone usage in the US has increased from 34 million to 203 million in the last ten years.... [tags: Cell Phones, ]
1219 words (3.5 pages)
- Today’s technologies are advancing at such an astonishing rate. This can make it difficult for even the most avid “techie” to keep pace. Technology is that wonderful thing that brings comfort and convenience to our lives. But, with that comfort and convenience, there often comes a price; and the technology of the cell phone proves no exception. Arguably, as a communication tool, the cell phone has no equal in how it has changed and affected our lives. Mostly, the effect has been positive in many ways.... [tags: Cell Phones, Cancer Risk]
1301 words (3.7 pages)
- Have you ever been out in public, and thought about the multitude of people using cell phones around you. Have you ever thought about how inappropriate it is to use them in certain circumstances. The use of cell phones has been banned in countless restaurants and there are restrictions regarding them in many work places. In the same way, cell phones are being banned in many schools. The principal of my high school has banned the use of cell phone during school hours. I believe he has good reason to do so.... [tags: cell phones, schools,]
658 words (1.9 pages)
- A cell phone is an electronic device used for the mobile telecommunication i.e. mobile telephony, data transmission and text messaging. It is used over a cellular network of specialized base stations. It differs from cordless telephones, which offers telephony service only within a limited range i.e. within a home or an office. As the time passes it offers more and more advance features. A society is a social, economical or industrial infrastructure, made up of collection of individuals. Although the members of the society may be from different ethnic group or from a particular ethnic group yet they live together for their mutual benefit.... [tags: Anti Cell Phones]
968 words (2.8 pages)
- Everyone has been there before, standing around with a group of friends just talking about whatever comes up. No one really directs the conversation, but rather it flows freely. Of course there are always a couple people in that group of friends that have lavish stories, but you somehow seem to doubt pieces of it. Those people are the professional bullshitters. They however aren’t the only ones who do it. You yourself do it, just probably not on the scale of the professional. This paper is about the topic of bullshit or malarkey and what it means to conversation.... [tags: Communication, Styles, Purposes]
1573 words (4.5 pages)
- Conversations of Thought There are written and read conversations taking place this very moment. The written conversation is one that happens between me (ongoing thought- conversation) and what is written onto paper. The read conversation takes place when a person, other than me, picks up what I’ve written and reads it. Thought-conversation is going on in my writing to you today; there are some going on in collegiate assembly halls, and in the conscious minds of many. However, I cannot—nor can you at the moment—read (make believe you’re not reading this right now---oops, I’ve just Ong’ed you) or hear most of these arguments, debates, agreements, disagreements, assertions that carry on.... [tags: Conversating Thinking thoughts Essays]
1480 words (4.2 pages)
- Sleep : The Natural Periodic Suspension Of Consciousness
- Creating An Online Collaborative Writing Environment For Supplement Sec 's Ielts Preparation Course
- The Canadian Brewery Industry : A Competitive Landscape With The Rise Of Craft And Micro Breweries
- Defining Patient Safety And Quality Care
- Critical Thinking : The Movie, It Was Apparent, Dr. J. Gallo
- The On The Path And Walking It