Within a few days, though, I would wake up to my bag sitting even farther away than the usual. I would ponder over what sort of logical event could cause this, but then I remembered that in some deserts the sands shift at night and can carry things with it like rocks and twigs. This brought ease to my mind.I no longer had to go to sleep with goosebumps on my arms and the thoughts of what might be. I could focus on finding my way out of this wretched godforsaken place. I went to sleep that night with a smile. I didn’t even know I could smile anymore. It was the first time I felt confident that I would find my way out my personal circle of hell.
There was no sand trail
The thought screamed into my thoughts. I jerked awake and fumbled around in the sand while my bearings came back. There was no sand trail. My spine went rigid. The goosebumps returned on my arms, but I could not feel a thing.The thoughts racing through my head distracted me.. Someone moved my bag stayed locked o...
... middle of paper ...
...t again, Suddenly, I understood. The message was clear. I am this thing’s captive, and I am not allowed interaction. Nothing may cross the borders it has set. I’m trapped here, by the thing that stalks the sands, and it demands nothing except that I never leave.
Still, I don’t know if I can handle being that thing’s canary. I’ve been thinking hard for the last few days since I saw it crush that snake’s skull, and silence it before it could finish its instinct to cool down. If I crossed the stone border, it’d probably do the same. It’d smash my skull before I could put my hands up to protect myself. It’d go and find a new pet, and probably keep looking until it found someone who could stand knowing that it was waiting just outside, watching it at all hours with its shiny, insect eyes.
I’ve been thinking hard for the last few days, and I might just make a run for it.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- For several long moments, Lily said nothing, refusing to meet his eyes. She stared down at the floor instead, her hands visibly shaking as she reached back to brace herself against the counter. "Well?" "I don 't know." "You don 't know where you 've been?" Severus sneered, caught between heart wrenching fear and impotent fury. "Imperiused, were you. Hit by a Confundus Charm?" "No." "No," he agreed. "Of course not. No one could 've touched you here. Which means…" "I never said…" "Which means you knew exactly what you were doing.... [tags: 2007 singles, Debut albums, 2005 singles]
1451 words (4.1 pages)
- The two men on guard duty walked the outside of the makeshift wall surrounding the outpost that comprised their barracks, a few houses, a general store and of course, an inn. The inn saw only the occasional traveler and had it not been for the men of the garrison, which consumed its substandard refreshments, it would have been out of business long ago. After hearing of their reassignment to the city of Zarterith, Galius was in high spirits and rushing ahead, he turned to walk backward facing Cross.... [tags: 2006 singles, 2009 singles, 2007 singles]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- “Please,” I sarcastically gesture toward the chair, “make yourself at home.” “I’ll take a rum and coke if it’s not too much trouble.” I glare at him but pull out two glasses anyway. As I make the drinks, I ask, “So…what did you want to talk about?” The grin slides of his face. “I don’t know. I didn’t even like Morgan that much in the first place, but I’ve never been dumped before. I am always the one that ends things. It hurts more than I thought it would.” “Dylan,” I say as I hand him his glass, “let me remind you that you left me sitting on a yacht by myself for four hours while you slept with a stripper.... [tags: 2007 singles, Debut albums, 2006 singles]
1149 words (3.3 pages)
- “It’s so cold where I am,” she confessed as she sulked into her own awareness. “Where are you?” he asked. Benjamin sat tensely along the edge of his bed. He had seen her many times before, but something about this time felt different. “I don’t know.” “Describe your surroundings to me. Maybe I can help you figure it out.” He knew the only way to see her clearly was to dig into his deepest emotions. This usually meant quite a bit of liquid courage. Then again, he needed all the courage he could get to spend a moment with her.... [tags: Debut albums, 2007 singles, 2007 albums]
1466 words (4.2 pages)
- Scene II The two enter through the main door. Hernan is holding the card key once again; he is the first one to enter. It is 1:30 a.m. The lights of the city from the window are all on. This is really the city that never sleeps. Hernan: You should go to bed, dear. Remember you’re pregnant, you must rest. Patricia: Oh, come on Er, it’s only one-thirty a.m. Hernan: Then what do you want to do. Patricia: I don’t know. Let’s go to the casinos. Come on, Er, I’ve come here to have fun, two more months and I’ll barely be able to move.... [tags: Debut albums, 2007 singles, Want, Need]
1765 words (5 pages)
- Aesop, an ancient Greek storyteller once said,.“Appearances often are deceiving”. Walmart may have lowered prices for Americans for decades, but when you look passed the yellow smiley face logo, their dulcet slogans, and dig a little deeper into the true facts, Walmart’s true colours are shades of grey.Walmart has been in the United States for a long period of time, nonetheless this flourishing company is quite misleading. Many say this store has helped the economy, and in a way it has, but, in other ways it has not shown to care about the economy, but only the money it’s headquarters receive.... [tags: United States, Unemployment, Economics]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- “You’re talking about asking for referrals?” I said. My father raised an eyebrow. “You say it like it’s a dirty word.” “I don’t know. It’s just…” An unpleasant vision danced in my head. I remembered a time when Krista and I met with an insurance salesman. It wasn’t long after we’d gotten married and decided to update our policies. There he was, sitting with us in our living room, and I did not like him at all. How he kept acting like we were old friends. The way he laughed too hard at his own small jokes.... [tags: Sales, Customer service, Shame]
1679 words (4.8 pages)
- We live in a world prone to excess. It wasn’t enough to have NFL football on Sundays and Mondays, we needed a Thursday night game too. We demanded a college football playoff, got it and now 4 teams isn’t enough. Some people want it to look like March Madness. If the Real Housewives of the OC was good, then spin offs of Real Housewives all over the country is even better. No place on this planet is excess more embraced than Wall Street. Eminem said it best, “Yo, I can’t do anything in moderation.... [tags: Hedge fund, Investment, Exchange-traded fund]
1545 words (4.4 pages)
- Most of you don 't know me. I 'm the girl who sits in the back of the class, too afraid of raising her hand in fear of looking dumb. The girl who is so afraid of saying the wrong thing she says nothing instead. Growing up, I always pictured life as this deep dark hole where everyone is falling, drowning in the insecurities of other people’s opinions while trying to figure out this thing called life. There came a time when my life was something that I couldn 't figure out. Depression became my friend and I stood numb as the sharp rejections of others cut the skin of my pride and the fear of being vulnerable started to shiver my soul.... [tags: English-language films, 2007 singles, 2008 singles]
1149 words (3.3 pages)
- I don 't know what to do. I don 't know what to think. My instructor Mrs. Ross is giving the class an assignment to write a memoir about our life. How exactly do you write a paper the correct way. I am too country for this. Writing the exact way you talk is not good. How would I start. Having so much that happened in one 's life can be difficult to pick one thing. Not knowing where you would start can also be difficult. If it ball down to what will I want to tell the most I could not choose.... [tags: Family, Mother, English-language films]
1371 words (3.9 pages)
- Analysis Of Kurt Vonnegut 's ' Harrison Bergeron '
- Macbeth, By William Shakespeare
- Sociological Factors, Socioeconomic Status, Gender, And Appearance
- The Developmental Stages Of The Greek Civilization
- Career Opportunities For Professional Development Opportunities
- Reading A On My Black Cushion Chair 's Front Of A Large Desk