We assume different accents belong to different occupations or personalities and by doing so, it can have negative repercussions. Moreover, phonology “is the study of meaning-that is, how words are pronounced, which units of sounds (phonemes) are meaningful for a specific language, and which sounds are universal" (Martin, Nakayama pg. 138). According to the article Sounds of the South, “misunderstanding in large part have been fueled by media portrayals in movies” and have “presented grossly exaggerated and inaccurate stereotypes of SAE.” Besides media, I haven’t been exposed to Southern American English. If I had a brain surgeon with a southern accent, I feel that it would impede their professionalism. In my opinion, a surgeon should have a higher vocabulary and a positive and comprehendible tone. As far as having an accent preference for a brain surgeon, I really do not have one.
Making assumptions about regional dialects can have both harmful and encouraging outcomes. I believe media plays an important and influential role in maintaining these assumptions. Media rarely displays a person with a southern accent portraying a high professional role such as, a doctor; it is usually a...
... middle of paper ...
...nstance, I use medical terminology and less slang terms.
Because I was the eldest of my siblings, at an early age I had to interpret for my parents and sometimes even strangers. Interpretation “refers to the process of verbally expressing what is said or written in another language” (Martin, Nakayama pg. 163). To this day, interpreting becomes difficult because some words in Spanish do not translate well in English, and vice versa. Equivalency is “the condition of being equal in meaning, value, quantity, and so on” (Martin, Nakayama pg. 164). There are also multiple meanings for one word; depending on the context the word is used.
To conclude, we meet a diverse range of people in our life time so, I believe that by reflecting on our encounters we learn how to improve our communication style. By doing so, we will grow and open our horizons to the diverse population.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Cyberbullying The world would be a better place without you, you should go kill yourself. People often forget that there is somebody else behind the screen on the other side. The twenty-first century led to the development of several innovations, most notably the internet and social media. Despite its numerous benefits, people’s reliance on social media has spawned a new and dangerous concept called cyberbullying. Whether it is spreading rumours or sharing an inappropriate image of someone over the internet, cyberbullying is evident in this newly technology driven world.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Victim, Victimisation]
1041 words (3 pages)
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., most recently memorialized on the National Park grounds in Washington DC, indeed had more than just a dream. Dr. King spoke over several years in many different places and about many different situations that arose in America and abroad. His common theme for his words of wisdom to his fellow country men, or as he so often put – his brothers and sisters, was that of equality, peace and unity. As I reflect and read back over his letter from the Birmingham Jail and the Beyond Birmingham: A Time to Break Silence speech, I can see that his stance never wavered and his vision was quite clear.... [tags: Civil Rights]
991 words (2.8 pages)
- Out of all these great poets I felt more connection with Mrs. Gwedolyn Brooks. Mrs. Brooks had overcome lots of obstacles in her time being growing up in the rough side of Chicago. She was the first African America poet to win the Pulitzer Prize. The poem’s she has says something to me because they speak of family and that’s something I huge on. Throughout her poems she talks about her mother, sisters that took different paths in life and loving older couples. Her writing style was for the common audience of all races and ages because that she quickly won and never lost.... [tags: Family, Poetry]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- Machiavelli, a philosopher from the Renaissance, makes a profound statement in his work, The Prince. An excerpt from this book, "The Morals of the Prince", clearly establishes a view which, at the time of its publishing, was very controversial. Now, however, his work can be related to today's society, and it is very useful in regards to helping someone understand how mankind should be managed. He posits the importance of using virtues and vices in moderation in order to be a successful leader. In today's rambunctious and contemporary society, men are not governed as they should be, due to corruption and neglect.... [tags: the morals fo the prince, Plato]
515 words (1.5 pages)
- “If you dance with your heart, your body will follow” -Mia Michaels. The In every dance performance there are two things that must be present the dancers and music. When an audience sit to watch a dancer they are looking for an understanding through the dance, movement that analyze what a dancer is capable of doing. As a dancer for ten years and counting. I have done Ballet, Jazz, Modern, Hip-Hop and Gospel I have the opportunity to experience all and learn what makes an excellent dancer. For the greatest dance routine comes with hard work, passion, dedication and sweat.... [tags: Performance, Dance, Choreography]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- 1 Introduction A message is not communicated until it is understood by the intended audience. There are various blocks to communication such as culture, channel distortions, distrust in management and previous history of the company (Smith & Mounter 2008, p. 98). This report presents three mediums that it believes to be effective tools to communicate the given message to all staff members, the audience of the message. It will explain the mediums chosen for this particular message and why the report believes they will be effective.... [tags: Communication, E-mail, Mediumship, Information]
1151 words (3.3 pages)
- “The medium is the message,” uttered by the late media scholar and theorist Marshall McLuhan, and they have been revered and dissected ever since they were spoken. There has been several different interpretations on the premise of McLuhan’s words, and the meaning behind them. The best way to start unraveling his theory, is to get a general understanding of the terms used in his famous quote. In McLuhan’s own words, a medium is simply “an extension of ourselves.” Simply put the medium personifies or enhances what we as humans cannot do on our own.... [tags: Media]
1919 words (5.5 pages)
- Is There More Than One Message In an Ad. The personal ads can reveal a message about the author that is not intended to be put in the ad through ink. To find this type of information you have to look a little deeper to find these kind of messages. The author might not mean to, but in the form of their writing they send out bits of personal information that is not intended to be noticed. As in the ad of Woman Seeking Man, I find that the woman has been hurt in the past and that is why she is being a little mysterious and vague in her ad.... [tags: essays research papers]
1627 words (4.6 pages)
- Socialism and Thomas More's Utopia Socialist ideals have recurred throughout the history of literature; from Plato to Marx the elusive goal of a perfect state has occupied some of the best minds in political thought manifesting itself in literature. In the midst of this historic tradition is the Utopia of More, a work which links the utopias of the ancient with the utopias of the modern. Hythloday's fantasy island draws heavily on the Greek Republic and yet it influenced the revolutionary world of Marx.... [tags: More Utopia Essays]
2357 words (6.7 pages)
- In the interesting novel Be More Chill, we go into the life of a typical nerd who like any other wishes to be cool and known among the popular kids. He's a tall scrawny boy with really bad dandruff and who sits quietly in class every day. Everyone talks around him thinking that he doesn't hear what he or she says and just ignores him but the truth is he hears every word. Especially a girl named Jenna who talks so much crap about her best friend to her other friend Anna. Whenever he gets made fun off in any way he has a sheet of paper in which he puts a tally next to the incident.... [tags: Be More Chill Ned Vizzini Book Review Summary]
1102 words (3.1 pages)