The purpose of this paper is to state what I believe to be important qualities of a teacher. I have gained insightful information from my Advance Children’s Literature class, Elementary Curriculum, and Black Ants and Buddhists book. The information I have retained, I hope to utilize it in my future classroom. I expect to have a support system in my classroom, healthy relationship with students and parents, use a community of resources, teach in multiple perspectives, and use dialogic teaching.
A support network is people in your student’s life who can offer practical and emotional support. A student goes to this person when they need advice, attention, or just a good laugh. The best support system helps students achieve goals or make them; they are there for the student every step of the way. On the first day of school I would say this classroom is our family, while pointing at pictures of all my students’ families hanging up. As a teacher, I can say everyone in this class is my friend, so I want you to feel comfortable asking me questions, or talking to me when you are going through a rough time. There will be times when you will fight with your friends, like at home when you fight with your siblings. But it is important to know that everyone makes mistakes, so we need to be a bigger person and own our faults. I would establish that I am not perfect, but I will always do my best. This aligns with the growth mindset because good support systems help students strive for their future, I learned this in my Advance Children’s Literature class. Students are not afraid to make mistakes when their teacher tells them its okay for failure. Failure is one step closer to success.
Not only having a supp...
... middle of paper ...
...ing so, it helps develop executive functions and creates meaningful memories that students can relate to. I have learned that the best way for students to remember knowledge is by making teaching meaningful to your students. When your students are learning from their peers, they are more likely to remember what they learned.
I believe that a good elementary teacher should make students motivated by having high expectations, communicate to students about developing a growth mindset, and reinforce critical thinking by using dialogic thinking. My ideas have not changed since the beginning of this semester, I have only accumulated more information on how to make my students feel safe to learn in a healthy environment and what I can do as a teacher to provide them with that. I only hope that I can become a great teacher like Cowhey, after I get past my first few years.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- There are many characteristics and qualities that go into making a world class teacher. Some important things to look at are a teacher’s actions, mindset, and the way they run their classroom. A world class teacher to me is an educator who deeply cares about their students and wants them to do their best in all areas of learning and life. Providing students with the knowledge and tools in life to succeed are the components that go into an excellent education. The best teachers are able to be active learners along with the students to help them learn as much as possible.... [tags: Education, Teacher, History of education, Want]
1328 words (3.8 pages)
- Qualities That I Bring to the Teaching Profession Being a teacher is said to be just a job but to me teaching is “an instrumental or practical art” (Arends, 4) to create a more diverse way of learning. When I become a teacher I want it to be more than just a job I want it to be my life and something I’m proud of doing. Creating life and laughter in a classroom is going to be a part of my everyday teaching style. So many teachers have lost what it means to teach because they have lost the love for educating our youth.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Special education, School]
1255 words (3.6 pages)
- The Future is On Our Shoulders The future of American depends on the children of this nation; to make smart, and responsible, adults we must start at the beginning of their learning experience. The reason I would like to be a part of this process is because I look around, and I myself see kids disrespecting their elders like it is no big deal, and I hope to help them. The career I am considering would be elementary school teacher, and the reasons behind this would be qualities of a teacher, helping the future of America, and promote academic diversity.... [tags: School, Teacher, Education, History of education]
1040 words (3 pages)
- Mrs. Jennifer Wilson is a fourth grade teacher at South Elementary in Danville, Indiana. After being a teacher for ten years in the same exact room and the same grade, she has come to learn and grow wise within her career. I was extremely pleased when she agreed to meet with me for an interview. I knew right away I was going to be inspired. In her junior year of high school she decided she wanted to become an elementary teacher. She loved school growing up and appreciated all of her teachers. She wanted to give kids the opportunity to enjoy school the way she did.... [tags: High school, Extracurricular activity, School]
1678 words (4.8 pages)
- In line with the Individuals with Disabilities Act, Special Education is an umbrella term that encompasses the Subgroup of education and teaching of students who require additional support and services in and outside of the classroom due to diagnosed disabilities. Congress enacted the IDEA to protect all students with disabilities in 1975 ensuring them free appropriate public education, also known as FAPE. It is because of this law that special education is present in all public schools (or districts) and created the need for teachers specifically trained in these areas of expertise.... [tags: Special education, Education, Teacher, School]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- The reason for undertaking, strengthening and accelerating research on teacher education is experienced by the need for systematically developing an empirical base for taking sound decision about teacher education. The Education Commission (1964-66) observed, “Of all the different factors which influence its quality of education and its contribution to national development, the quality, competence and character of teachers are undoubtedly the most significant”. Also The National Policy of Education (1968) noted, “Of all the factors which determine the quality of education its contribution to national development, the teacher is undoubtedly the most important.... [tags: Teacher, Psychology, Education, School]
1104 words (3.2 pages)
- Everyone knows that when it comes to making a difference in a student’s academic and life achievements, their teachers play a large role. A teacher’s way of relating to their students, and teaching them to achieve both socially and academically contributes to how effective teachers are. What does it mean to be an effective teacher. Overall there seems to be an emphasis that teacher effectiveness is related to how well their students are doing based on standardized testing. As teachers we know there is much more that goes into being an effective teacher then just teaching our students based on tests.... [tags: Education, philosophy of education]
1369 words (3.9 pages)
- When it comes to being a successful teacher, you have to be able to work with children that will be most suitable for you. What I mean by that is what type of level that fits you to want to put your all into teaching. According to a Peterson’s Staff, “Deciding what level of education you would like to teach is an important choice. With so many variables, how do you determine which is best for you. ”. Young children in elementary or middle school are little sponges that will absorb information well, but they may also be very rambunctious.... [tags: Teacher, Education, School, High school]
943 words (2.7 pages)
- William Arthur Ward wrote: The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. (Koch, 2012) This powerful statement talks about the goodness of fit. This is the qualities of a person that makes them feel qualified to pursue a career in teaching. As a teacher I will be responsible for the next generation of the world so I must make sure that I possess the qualities that will inspire them. As an educator you must make sure that you are able to be a centered presence.... [tags: Education, Teacher]
789 words (2.3 pages)
- EDCU 220 was a class that I did not know what to expect of when i signed up for the class. I knew that it would be about education, but not know the specifics. As class went on through the semester I learned not only what it takes to be an educator, but also what it takes to be an effective and good educator because their is a big difference between those two things. The three qualities of any Dominican educator and effective teacher are scholar, leader, and service. These qualities are the basics for educators that should be engraved in anyone wanting to become an educator.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, Psychology]
884 words (2.5 pages)