I was a college student in Texas when I discovered I was pregnant with my first child and became a stay-at-home parent after her birth in 1997. I sporadically took college classes for several years. Once all of my children were in school, I went to work as a substitute teacher and was subsequently hired the following year as a paraprofessional for special population students. In 2007 a family upheaval moved me from the Dallas area to the coastal area of Corpus Christi. I found myself as a single parent with limited income and three children. The transition was difficult, but growing up I was taught that if something was within my physical capabilities, then it was something that needed to be learned. My parents taught me to always see the potential in people, have a warm, open heart and give of myself without expecting anything back. The time had come to apply those principles to myself. Within a year I was able to secure housing and employment.
Moving to Michigan many years later, I enrolled in Jackson College with the goal of finishing my associate’s degree. I received a 3.6 grade point average in my first semester and have maintained the same grade point average for graduation. After graduation in May, I will enter the workforce to gain experience i...
... middle of paper ...
... me to focus on furthering my professional and academic career. My plans are to move back to Texas after two of my children graduate high school, so that I can take care of my mother and work at the school district that I went to as a child. My mother worked there as a teacher and I hope to work there as a paraprofessional. I will transfer, in August 2017, to Texas A&M University in Corpus Christi to work on my Bachelor’s Degree in University Studies. My goal will be to tailor my studies to match Michigan State University’s Human Development and Family Studies degree.
I want to thank everyone at Jackson College for the amazing opportunity to complete my degree. I would have never known the possibilities and pleasure of obtaining a degree if I had not taken the first step to apply. I can stand tall knowing that I received an outstanding education from Jackson College.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Are you anxious about failing, right. Do you want to become an outstanding student. It is not really difficult thought. The secret to become success isn’t about working hard. It’s all about finding smart solutions to the problems. Check out these common and not-so-common ways of lining your grades. Below here, you will find more general advices on how to become an outstanding student. Do you know an outstanding student always pays lots of attention to teachers. Take notes, raise your hands and ask questions if you do not understand during the lectures.... [tags: general advice, homework, books]
607 words (1.7 pages)
- Zach is an outstanding student. He is on pace to graduate high school with A 's and B 's. His SAT scores were only slightly above average but that is understandable because he was very busy captaining his golf team during the spring and running track in the winter. Outside of athletics, Zach is a member of his schools robotics club. He volunteers at his local animal shelter monthly. Zach is applying to attend Harvard University next fall. Tom is also applying to attend Harvard University next fall.... [tags: Racism, African American, Affirmative action]
1195 words (3.4 pages)
- Good morning counsel members of Mary Mother of God Parish, Miss Mattiaci and class. I would like to nominate an outstanding individual that I believe would be worthy of the propagation of the Faith award whom has promulgated his Catholic values. He demonstrated respect for all of God 's creations by creating many aid programs around the world and through his quest for justice. I nominate James Orbinski who has been actively involved in Doctors Without Borders through both providing medical assistance and leading the organization.... [tags: Pope John Paul II, Catholic Church]
1399 words (4 pages)
- On July 15, 2015, Caitlyn Jenner received the Arthur Ashe Courage Award. The Arthur Ashe Courage Award is presented each year to an individual whose contributions have gone beyond sports. Many people may not recognize the name Caitlyn Jenner since only a few months prior, she was known as Bruce Jenner. In 1976, he was considered the best male athlete in the world. He won the men’s decathlon, which consists of ten events of track and field. Through all this, Bruce struggled with his self identity.... [tags: Sociology, Suicide, Arthur Ashe Courage Award]
1585 words (4.5 pages)
- Since the day I was born I consider the fact that I am Egyptian is an outstanding attribution and talent. Being an Egyptian taught me that being different is okay and acceptable, it gave me the talent of not judging people who have a different lifestyle than me and always being loyal to where I live. Also, it gave me the talent of always helping people no matter who they are and be nice to everyone. I consider being able to treat everyone with respect and decency is a talent that I could not be more glad to have, because treating the people who treat you substandardly nice is not easy to do.... [tags: High school, High school diploma, Graduation]
835 words (2.4 pages)
- . Describe the skills or attributes you believe are necessary to be an outstanding teacher. The attributes of an outstanding teacher are deeply rooted in being an effective instructor whose primary focus is to develop an impactful learning environment conducive to promoting the success of the whole student. An effective teacher utilizes best practices in the classroom to guide instruction that promotes the success of students within the educational setting. This type of teacher would also seek opportunities to develop positive relationships with students by learning their interest, learning styles, and comfort level with school subjects as well as to be cognizant of environmental factors whi... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, High school]
1345 words (3.8 pages)
- ... South Central is an iconic place, with rich history specifically about racial minorities. It has continually built a negative image around itself, through hip hop culture and civil rights movements. For instance, the well known rap group NWA implements this area into their music, as they were portraying the reality that they witnessed during the Los Angeles riots. This area of Los Angeles has become so controversial that it has reached the academic community. In an essay titled “Fortress Los Angeles,” Mike Davis argues how the political leaders, and even law enforcement, have pushed the implementation of policy and regulations to isolate homelessness in Los Angeles.... [tags: Major League Baseball, Baseball, Los Angeles]
952 words (2.7 pages)
- Outstanding Teacher I never had a teacher that I clicked with. Changing from school to school was hard and anytime I would get close to someone, I would end up changing schools. I never knew what it meant to have a teacher care about a student so much. That all changed when I moved to Delafield, Wisconsin in 2007. I started a new school in the fourth quarter and everything felt the same. All of a sudden, when seventh grade came around, I felt like a whole new person. This is the year that I met the teacher who became a part of my life.... [tags: role model, inspire, bully, listener]
1354 words (3.9 pages)
- ... Student Life Coordinator Lynette Stuck announced the order of events. With that announcement she gave me the best news of all time: “the students were not going to make a speech.” I even had to turn to Sandra Louvier, the Program Director of the Center for Entrepreneurship at Northwest, and Dr. Jimmy Adams, the Director of the Center of Excellence for Media Arts and Technology, to ask them if I had heard her correctly. I didn’t think I would win, but there was still the chance I’d have to give a speech and I was terrified.... [tags: University, Student, Award, The Age]
701 words (2 pages)
- Outstanding Outsourcing “It (outsourcing) is not a our father’s traditional foreign trade. Goods are not being traded. Offshore production is not a case of US making good X and trading it (to another country) for good Y. It is a case of the US ceasing to make X in the US and making it (in another country) instead” (“Outsourcing champs say India critical to their success”). This quote leads to the differences between outsourcing and trade. Trade is a matter that had threatened the unskilled people in the labor force, which encouraged many of them to learn some sort of skill.... [tags: Essays, Papers, Globalization]
2623 words (7.5 pages)
- The Revolutionary War Period That Lead Up The Creation Of The Constitution Between Howard Zinn And Larry Schweikart
- Creating Interactive Maps Of Ontario Schools
- Leadership Theory, Situational Leadership, Transactional, And Transformational Approaches
- Leadership And Effective Leadership Communication
- The True Meaning Of Equality
- Berger And Luckmann 's Social Construction Theory