As a hyper first grader I hated taking the time to sit down and read an entire book. It wasn 't that I hated reading, it was just that Id rather be playing in the creek behind our house or playing in the club house in the bushes out in the front yard with the neighbor kids instead. I might of enjoyed it a little better if I was actually good at it. I just struggled when it came to reading. On my end of grade evaluation, my first grade teacher, Mrs Speagle had written to my parents that I was a little below grade average for reading, not enough to hold me back a year just enough to be noticeable, and that was still unacceptable in my grandmas eyes. She wanted me to do my best and she knew I wasn 't giving it all my effort. No matter how much I didn 't want to read I knew I had to if my grandma said so. She didn 't live eighty years to be disrespected by a six year old.
My Grandmas intentio...
... middle of paper ...
...rrow and go play in the creek instead of reading!
Even after growing up, when I dread a reading assignment all I can hear is “Carla read! Your not gonna grow up stupid like your parents!” in the back of my head. After having my own little girl and seeing her interest in books only being a year and a half, it melts my heart to see her in my Great Grandmothers lap with a book just like I was! My grandma might not be able to see the words in the book now but she 'll make the story up as she goes along. Even after loosing her eyesight and a little of her memory shes still determined to instill the importance of reading in the next generation. To bad she cant use the same line “Lilly read! Your not gonna grow up stupid like your parents” because shes the one that made me into the knowledgeable individual that I am today. Well... at least smarter than my parents, anyways.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Sorry not sorry” I sat by the door to keep her updated of what time it was, but nothing seemed rush her. Once she was done, I had only a couple of minutes to get ready for school, I continued to yell at her, complaining about how long she took but, she didn’t care she was just hitting the teen stage where everything was about her and the world didn’t go round without her ok; she was young and careless. She was my older sister the person I went to when I needed someone to lean on, the person I knew I could count on for anything and everything, but at the same time, the person I would fight with the most.... [tags: Sibling, Birth order, Parent, Family]
1328 words (3.8 pages)
- Eating in Vs. Eating out Eating out definitely has its benefits, but is it really benefiting you. Of course we all have occasions when we are invited to eat out whether it is for dinner with friends, a date or celebrating a special event with family at a restaurant. These are all fun and enjoyable stuff you can do when you eat out, but you can have these same events and stay in. Eating in has its own benefits, maybe even more than you think. When eating out, the restaurants presents you with a menu with an endless list of choices of food.... [tags: Food, Cooking, Nutrition, Eating]
1389 words (4 pages)
- The experience of sitting down in Provino’s, and serving the table reside together in different worlds. The people who are hopefully enjoying their meals after a day of work, sit next to people whom are trying to make their living. Most customers don’t think about the job at hand, and instead they focus on having the best experience they can. Who can blame them. The worker’s job is to ensure the happiness of the client, but becomes exhausting after countless hours of doing other’s biddings. The way the workers and customers react to the situations around them can mean or feel completely different to the other.... [tags: Eating, Restaurant, Food, Quantification]
1002 words (2.9 pages)
- Most of us have a general outlook about what a career consists of. Despite that details are not always identified, the smallest niceties should be considered. In today’s economy, competition is rapidly expanding as well as a demand for individuality and talent. Having the components and knowledge can make a “make it or break it” massive difference in your career and the industry. Cooking involves your five senses and reaches further into other abilities. Culinary is an asset to the Arts careers that involve utmost creativity, technique, and history.... [tags: Culinary Arts]
1034 words (3 pages)
- When I think about my favorite place, I think about a place I can write a book about. I think about a place that I have known my entire life. I also think about how important it is to me. It is warm and cozy, and it always smells good. This place I am describing is my mother’s kitchen at home in my hometown of Brownsville, Tennessee. My mother’s kitchen is huge, and I have so many memories there. The reminiscing and laughs with my family are priceless. I have learned all the things I need to know about cooking, cleaning, and basically maintaining a good environment.... [tags: Family, Grandparent, Kitchenware, Cooking]
1267 words (3.6 pages)
- Sadie and her family always eat out. They never have time to sit together as a family and eat a home cooked meal. Since Sadie always grabbed fast food on the run, she was gaining weight fast. Additionally, buying food from restaurants almost every day was making Sadie’s wallet go empty. Also, since her family never made the time to eat together as a family, Sadie was weakening her relationship with her siblings and parents. They started talking less to each other about their lives and just kept to themselves.... [tags: unhealthy and expensive habits]
1180 words (3.4 pages)
- ... She was wearing printed, peach color, sleeveless, cotton shirt along with yellow solid color trouser. She had sparkly pink nail polish on her both hands and was wearing a bracelet in her right arm along with a blue stone ring on the left hand in the pinkie finger. Furthermore, she was wearing colorful floral pattern socks and the heart shaped hair pins were used to make hair style and then, her hair were put in a pony tail. Analysis Physical Development During my observation, I noticed that when Khushi was playing with a ball, she would throw the ball across the living room towards the direction of the small basket that was placed near the television and then would run, jump and bend d... [tags: Child development, Jean Piaget, Childhood, Table]
1031 words (2.9 pages)
- ... He advises his audience to eat more responsibly and to do so with an understanding of what they are eating and where it comes from. He also shares his aversion to eating away from home in hopes that it will inspire others to do the same as part of his advice to the masses was to try to eat more locally sourced food. He tries to persuade others to eliminate the middle man (merchants, transporters, processors, packagers, and marketers). He goes ahead to say that peoples should try to get to know farmers personally and try to cook their food themselves, he insists that in doing so, they would have a measure of control over what goes into their food.... [tags: Food, Eating, Nutrition]
1015 words (2.9 pages)
- ... My mother brought up the conversation of children living in Mexico and how they would love to have at least a spoon of what I’m eating, while I am here despising of these nutritious lentils. Thus, I would tell my mother I was not hungry and that I had eaten extra food at school. I would rub my belly as a form of telling her that my stomach was unable to take in any more food. This didn’t matter to my mom; I was still to eat her lentils. My mother would continue to reiterate how lentils were for my own health every week.... [tags: Food, Eating, Nutrition, Hamburger]
1247 words (3.6 pages)
- Eating out seems to be a fashion at present times. You tend to get bored of regular meals in the house and want something different. Many of you love to spend special occasions with your family like birthday, anniversary, festivals and celebration of some kind by going out to eat. Going out to eat with friends from Universities and work places is common among people now. Try to make your restaurant dining experience fabulous with some valuable tips. Planning ahead is a good way to make the dining a real nice experience.... [tags: eating, behavior, courses]
625 words (1.8 pages)