II. In 2006, my mother received a phone call from my cousin Landon. He told her that they had been in an accident while leaving their apartment and Becky, my aunt, was unresponsive. My mother ran out of the gym and drove to the scene of the accident. When she arrived my cousin was sitting in the back of an ambulance with a few cuts and bruises. My aunt on the other hand was still trapped in the car. As they were pulling out of the apartment complex my aunt was t-boned on her side of the vehicle. The paramedics had to cut her out of her car. After several hours she was finally out of the car, but was not stable enough to be moved by ambulance so they decided to life line her to Methodist Hospital. Once my mom arrived at the hospital they told her they did not think my aunt would survive the surgery because of the condition she was in. After hours of waiting to hear from the doctors they finally informed my mom and uncle that my aunt had survived the surgery, but had a long recovery ahead of her. My aunt had broken all of her ribs, both of her lungs had collapsed, her stomach was in her chest, she had a torn liver, and spleen and on top of all that she had bleeding on her brain. In total my aunt spent about two weeks in the hospital and had two extensive surgeries. However, the doctor visits did not end there. My aunt spent the next nine years living in chronic pain; she could barely get out of bed most days. My aunt cannot remember anything that happened leading up to or after the accident, and my cousin has suppressed most o...
... middle of paper ...
b. Lead by example
i. No one should text and drive. Be an example for others and if you need to text or talk on the phone, pull over to a safe place. Set rules for yourself and your household regarding distracted driving.
c. Become informed and be active
i. Tell family, friends, and organizations about the importance of driving without distractions.
d. Transition to conclusion
I. Today we have discusses the dangers of distracted driving, mainly texting while driving, what legislature is being passed to ban texting while driving, and what you can do to prevent distracted driving.
II. Texting and driving is distracting and the probabilities of getting into an accident are higher than if you are not using your cell phone.
III. So, the next time your phone rings while driving decide is it really worth putting your life, and others lives in danger?
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Children today are under a huge amount of pressure when it comes to sports. From score rankings, grades to play, parents yelling and coaches saying the play. Madison, a ten-year-old girl on my sister’s basketball team, complains that, “I hate when parents tell us to do the exact opposite of what the coach says.” The child has to decide whether they are going to listen to the coach or their parents because the parents will be mad if they didn’t do what they said. Nevertheless, the coach could be always have the child sit out because they didn’t listen to what he or she was saying.... [tags: Need, Want, Game, Child]
1457 words (4.2 pages)
- Has there ever been an activity that you wondered how it was invented. Well I have been playing basketball for almost seven years and have always wondered the man behind the game we call “basketball.” I really have enjoyed basketball because it really tests an athlete’s ability of endurance, athleticism, and speed. I figured it was time for me to find out who this man was. Basketball today has grown in the United States to bout 300 million people, that is a very large sum (“Bellies”). Although there are many stories to who discovered the game of basketball, it really just depended on who and where the story was told.... [tags: Basketball, sports, history, ]
608 words (1.7 pages)
- Lamar Carter known to all as, Vince Carter, was born on January 26.1977 in Daytona Beach, FL. Carter became an extraordinary leader at a young age. Carter used his talent to gain fame and fortune so that he could give back to his community and the less fortunate. During his years at Campbell Middle School he was the only seventh grader to ever play on the Varsity Basketball team, not only was he on the team but he was a starter on the team. While at Mainland High school he was captain of the Volleyball Team, member of the Marching Band and is known to be the most gifted basketball player to grace their court.... [tags: Biography Basketball]
1674 words (4.8 pages)
- As I stated earlier. It 's 4:15AM on a Saturday morning. "Why is my alarm going off. This torturous noise box is only to be used on the weekdays. Who is playing this obnoxious prank. My son. My Daughter. It 's probably my Wife." As I stumble out of bed and head downstairs for a ritual cup of coffee with a drop of cream, no sugar. It dawns on me, "I got the Overwatch beta invite last night!" The coffee from my Keurig is not flowing fast enough into the cup. hurry, hurry... finally. I grab the cup and clamber back upstairs to my office, which happens to have a litter box and random junk stored in the confines of its 4 walls.... [tags: Play, Game, Video game, Games]
1227 words (3.5 pages)
- The Beginning of Basketball Have you ever had an interest in how something was invented. An interest in how your favorite activity or hobby came about. Ever since I was introduced to sports and how competitive it was, I became hooked. I enjoy playing football, basketball, and baseball. Of the three main sports that I play, basketball seems to be my favorite. It challenges endurance, speed, accuracy, agility, and strength. I feel guilty not knowing who created the game that takes up most of my free-time.... [tags: History Basketball]
1192 words (3.4 pages)
- In terms of this case study we know that a member of the Wellington boy’s basketball team is one of the starters of the team and could potentially be a great contributor to the team. We also know that he is Jewish and he cannot play any games from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday. He is able to play any other day besides Sunday and the days listed above. This student’s dad has been in contact with the basketball coach and explained why these changes are necessary for his child. After the parent contacted coach via email, the basketball coach responded back saying it wasn’t an option and there was nothing that could be done to resolve the issues.... [tags: High school, Education, Basketball]
1338 words (3.8 pages)
- What is child abuse. Child abuse is one of our nation 's most serious public health problems. It occurs at every socio-economic level, within all ethnic groups, cultures, and religions, and at all levels of education. Each day in the United States, four children die as a result of child abuse, and three out of four of these victims are under the age of four. Scientific studies show a link between child abuse and neglect of children and a wide range of medical, emotional, and behavioral disorders; such as depression, alcohol abuse, drug addiction, and juvenile delinquency.... [tags: Human sexual behavior, Child abuse, Basketball]
821 words (2.3 pages)
- Usually when a child or a teenager commits a crime, it is never their fault. When a child or a teenager commits a crime, the responsibility never belongs to the parents either. Instead, when a teenager or a child commits a crime, the first thing that the prosecutors or the media wants to place the blame on is video games, the television program that the child had been watching, or the blame is placed on the type of music that the child or teen had been previously listening to. This is what concerns me.... [tags: Video Game Violence Essays]
2937 words (8.4 pages)
- Since I was a child, I loved watching basketball games. I remember when I was around six years old, there was a game on the t.v taking place at OAKA in Greece, and my favorite team AEK was playing against PANATHINAIKOS. The game was going to start at ten o'clock and my dad didn't want me to stay awake to watch it. I started crying as always- when I wanted something I was doing that -and my dad couldn't see me crying so he agreed and said that we were going to watch the game together.... [tags: Personal Essays]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- Playing Basketball Being part of the basketball clique in high school helped me learn the intrapersonal and social communication skills I use today. As a child playing basketball was my favorite activity or hobby. It's also the way I met a lot of my good friends that I have now. All my close friends I have met. I have met them through playing basketball.. Whether they were on my team, the opposing team or just fans in the crowd who admired my play. Not only has basketball helped me gain friends, but basketball also taught me a lot about life.... [tags: Personal Narrative Essays]
682 words (1.9 pages)