"Hi, I 'm Gary Richards, I 'm here to apply for the open Suburban Hip Hop and Urban Theory 101 class." I said to the secretary.
"I wasn’t aware there was an open position or that we even taught that subject here Mr...?" Said the secretary.
"Richards, but please call me Gary."
"Mr. Richards, this is a private Catholic school, we teach about Jesus, not hokey nonsense." The secretary said with contempt in her voice.
"I think we should let the principal, the man in charge, decide wh...
... middle of paper ...
...d in his 25 years as an educator. I felt bad for him, the school can only do so much, the parents have to be involved too. In time, under my tutelage, I could transform these kids, it won 't be easy, but the Civil War wasn’t won in a day and white children won 't learn street culture overnight. But I like a challenge.
He wanted the weekend to think things over, but wanted me to talk to the parents of some of his students. The ones who were doing poorly in rap battles. Mr. Hummel said theses kid 's parents were very image conscious and if they thought the kids might embarrass them they 'd have no problem with my groundbreaking teaching. I handed him a paper I wrote in college about the white child of a wealthy Virginia plantation owner whose son wanted to be a black slave and went on to be a war hero. He couldn’t help but be impressed, he knew I was a professional.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The teacher plays a crucial role in education because they are the initiator, facilitator, and assessor. In a traditional sense a teacher is the alpha and beta of education, however, with new ways of thinking brought upon by different philosophers like Dewey and Freire, the beta of education lies in the hands of the student. Instead of education being based upon the teacher, there is shift in the process of education and a different understanding of how true learning takes place. The teacher acts more like a guide than a very strict dictator-type figure.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Learning, Pedagogy]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Teacher Development in the Classroom Is hard to obey and pay attention to a person that is not part of your close circle. Teachers always struggle with the students because the teacher has to catch the attention of all the students in its classroom. The movie Freedom Writers show the development and skills that made the teacher, successful. First of all, the teacher is challenged when started with freshman students with a bad background and at the age where the students have too much rebellion.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Psychology, Student]
710 words (2 pages)
- William Arthur Ward wrote: The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. (Koch, 2012) This powerful statement talks about the goodness of fit. This is the qualities of a person that makes them feel qualified to pursue a career in teaching. As a teacher I will be responsible for the next generation of the world so I must make sure that I possess the qualities that will inspire them. As an educator you must make sure that you are able to be a centered presence.... [tags: Education, Teacher]
789 words (2.3 pages)
- “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” This quote by William Arthur Ward is perhaps my favorite message in regards to education and the role that teachers play in the lives of their students. Though young in age and with obvious faults, I make up for it with life experiences that sadden, amaze, and inspire those who are eager to listen and to learn. A brief description will show that growing up I was taught to be a “southern gentlemen”, that is to be respectful to everybody, have proper manners, and most importantly to be a hard worker.... [tags: Teacher, Education, Substitute teacher, School]
809 words (2.3 pages)
- Generally, when a person decides to follow a profession such as teaching, there is usually a strong motivation behind that decision. This is not only a positive aspect but also a necessary feature in this particular profession. A teacher is more than a person who stands at the front of a classroom and divulges facts and figures, they are, and should be, one who inspires and nurtures curiosity and the pursuit of knowledge in their students. They often act as a role model, an inspiration, a guide, and many other things to learners of all ages throughout the world.... [tags: Education, Knowledge, Teacher, Teaching]
811 words (2.3 pages)
- I observed a teacher and an assistant teacher in class for three to five years old children. When I entered the classroom at 8:30, there were nine students and a parent. A boy was crying next his parent, a girl was drawing, two boys were playing with toy cars, and rest of them were playing blocks. The teacher was talking with the parent, and the assistant teacher were inviting the boy next his parent to play blocks with her and other students. After the boy began to play, she left the table. She walked around, talking and asking some questions to other students.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Childhood, Observation]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- Anything but Teaching Becoming a teacher and staying a teacher can be quite the challenge. Most universities don’t adequately prepare students for the challenges they will be met with every single day. Most students are not informed of the good, the bad, and the ugly before becoming a teacher. Many students are not fully aware of the seriousness and stressfulness that goes hand-in-hand with their profession. Teaching can cause more stress than many other professions and is one the least valued professions to date.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, Profession]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Teacher Interview Essay While attending Miami Edison Sr. High school, I had the honor of interviewing my field experience teacher Mr. Armand. He was born in Haiti. He came to America when he was 13. He graduated from Miami Edison Sr. high in 1992. He earned his associated in art degree at Miami Dade College. In 2001 he graduated from Florida International University with his bachelor in art and master degrees. He has taught at Miami Edison for 15 years. He teaches intensive mathematics and college algebra.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, Lesson plan]
1028 words (2.9 pages)
- One of the few things that make my day when I walk into my placement is the amount of students who come up to me from past classes and say hello. They genuinely ask how I am, ask me to look at their latest assignment, sketch, or test—because they received and amazing mark-- what classes I’m teaching and saying that I should go and teach in their class. The best part of these moments is that the majority of students who come up to me and say hello are those in locally developed classes which I help in.... [tags: Education, High school, Teacher, School]
1230 words (3.5 pages)
- We all remember our teachers and for different reasons but an outstanding teacher, ones that we truly remember and cherish that memory have in some way moulded our lives. Outstanding teacher really can change lives. We often hear people say they were inspirational, they made me love school/a subject, I love being in their lessons… Whilst writing this section I reflected on my time as a primary school pupil and three very different teachers in three very different schools immediately came to mind… and probably have never been too far from my consciousness.... [tags: Education, School, Teacher, George Bernard Shaw]
930 words (2.7 pages)