Once I discovered that birth order and personality would be a topic we discuss in class I was immediately intrigued. As I read the articles posted about them and took the quiz I began to recognize a pattern and incredible accuracy to these findings. The fact that the order one was born in can determine certain personality traits within them singlehandedly aroused my interest.
The concept of siblings is a topic especially important to me because of my large family. I felt enlightened by the breadth of information on this notion. I have always maintained that only children are different from those with siblings, based on interaction with many only children in my life. However, bringing light to the fact that each specific birth order possesses consistent traits...
... middle of paper ...
...ct, which translates to these middle children becoming indifferent and ambivalent to their role in the family. The increased sense of responsibility might not sit well with some children.
Each individual experience with parents and siblings (or lack thereof) is responsible for the development of significant traits in children. Studying the correlation of birth order and personality is a topic important to me because of the relevance to my personal family life. I have witnessed the reported characteristics with my siblings, which has also led me to further investigate my siblinghood and develop my own principle. I do consider exceptions to the proposed principle because of how specific it might seem. Despite exceptions and alternatives, there is no denying that birth order plays a role in how children interact with parents, siblings and everyone else in their lives.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- There are many ways in which society can influence an individual. An individual can be influenced by the news, family, and friends. However an individual does not think much about how their gender has influenced their life. Gender socialization can be defined as the “process by which individuals are taught how to socially behave in accordance with their assigned gender, which is assigned at birth based on their biological sex” (Boundless, 2015). This is a process that begins from the moment that an individual’s life starts.... [tags: Gender, Gender role, Gender studies, Woman]
1248 words (3.6 pages)
- Birth order plays a major role in a person’s personality. It might seem ludicrous, but most people’s actions can be linked to the order in which they were born. Robert V.V. Hurst, a personality observer, proposed an interesting theory in his book, Life’s Fingerprint, which stated, “It’s not just a coincidence that similar birth orders have similar personality traits… each successive child in a family tries to be different, and that difference is seen in all families and crosses all cultural, racial, and ethnic lines” (Hurst 5).... [tags: Family, Children, Siblings, Personality]
1092 words (3.1 pages)
- What if the majority of life was based on something that could not be controlled or chosen. This one thing that affects most of life is birth order. Everybody is born into a certain position in their family whether they are the oldest, the youngest, or anywhere else in between. This order affects the way parents treat children. The oldest are usually the guinea pigs that are being experimented on while the youngest are usually the most spoiled and seem to have the most freedom. Birth order affects not only the raising of a child and the responsibility of that child in the family, but it greatly affects career choice.... [tags: pyschological birth, personality]
875 words (2.5 pages)
- In my family there are three kids, two boys and one girl. I am eighteen years old making me the oldest of the three. My sister, who is twelve, falls behind me. Lastly my little brother is just behind my sister at nine years old. I recently researched that the order of birth can have a huge impact on the personality of the children. I found it very remarkable that most of these traits where exhibited in my younger siblings and I. Although there were some exceptions, I found that most of the qualities that describe a first born in my research described me as an individual.... [tags: Why Birth Order Matters]
1245 words (3.6 pages)
- ... Common traits associated with first born are being reliable, conscientious, structured, cautious, controlling, and achievers (BESTPSYCH). Knowing these traits, I compared them to my sisters and she fits right into the first born category. Shaylan’s biggest personality traits are cautious, reliable, and being conscientious. I have never seen anyone in my entire life be as cautious as my sister. She goes out of her way to avoid any potential problems. Shaylan now has two kids of her own and if the slightest thing is off with the kids, she is calling the doctor.... [tags: Sibling, Birth order, Big Five personality traits]
707 words (2 pages)
- Personalities have the tendency to change from birth and throughout life. Each individual is unique and will behave and think differently according to life experiences and connections with people they meet in their social environment. Childhood is an important stage that psychologists have researched due to the influences of family in their early development. Psychologists have also considered how genetics may influence personal traits and forming personalities. This has brought forward the argument of nature versus nurture in early development.... [tags: Psychology, Personality psychology]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- Birth order is a commonly discussed topic inside the realms of psychological research. Many studies have been organized to show the differentiation of personality concerning birth order. Characteristics of a personality, absent of birth order, play a monumental role in how a person reacts to social influence. A principle examination will occur concerning the view of the first-born child in comparison to the later born child for the purpose of illustrating how their susceptibility differs from one another.... [tags: Psychological Research, Personality]
1559 words (4.5 pages)
- The study of personality is multi-faceted. There are many factors that shape one’s personality, and many definitions of the word itself. Personality has the ability to intensely affect one’s interpersonal relationships in many aspects. One factor of personality that has been studied extensively is birth order. Birth order refers to the numerical place of a person in the order of births in his or her family and how that person fits in the constellation of the family (Ernst & Angst, 9). It has been observed across many studies that members of each rank—oldest, middle, youngest or single children—tend to have similar personalities as members of the same rank (Ernst & Angst, 13-16).... [tags: Psychology]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- Birth Order's Effect on Personality Birth-order could be one way to gain an understanding of friends, family members and co-workers. Research has shown that the birth-order indeed has an effect on personality. Birth-order of course does not explain everything about human behavior, personality is also affected by many different factors such as heritage, the environment of the upbringing, family size, education etc. There are four basic classifications of birth-order: the oldest, the only, the middle and the youngest born.... [tags: Birth Order Human Development Essays]
525 words (1.5 pages)
- How Birth Order Affects One’s Personality Everyone in the world is born with a special and unique character. Some of their personality is shaped by their surroundings as they grow up as well as the factor of genetics. It is believed by some psychologists/researchers that birth order has a tendency to influence parts of the personality. Birth order isn’t a simplistic 1-2-3 system that says all first borns are equally one way, all second children are another and last-born kids are always just like this or that.... [tags: Personality Psychology Social Behavior Essays]
1316 words (3.8 pages)