With the high rates of oil consumption in today’s society, many demands for oil must be met. These demands for oil are met by the importation of crude oil from other nations. Hydrogen can be utilized to help the United States shy away from dependence on other nations and possibly with competitive pricing; however, hydrogen is held back because initial costs would be uncomfortably high. Hydrogen does not occur naturally in nature by itself, but it can be produced in several different ways. Hydrogen can be produced by using fossil fuels, nuclear power, and biomass such as wind, solar,
geothermal, and hydro-electric power (“Alternative”). Each process could pose to be a reliable way of producing a self-sustaining and secure hydrogen economy within the borders of the United States. With time, Hydrogen can prove to be a competitive priced product with gasoline and could possibly drive prices down. The President of the United States has set out initiatives to have competit...
... middle of paper ...
... March 2007
“Fact Sheet: Hydrogen Fuel: a Clean and Secure Energy Future.” The White House.
7 March 2007 < http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/02/
"Hydrogen economy." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 8 Mar 2007.
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 12 Mar 2007
Peatling, Stephanie. “New Process Could Help Make Hydrogen Fuel Affordable.” National Geographic.com 27 Aug. 2004. 8 March 2007
“What You Can Do About Car Emissions.” National Safety Council. 10 March 2007
Woodbury, Bryan. “Hydrogen: The Perfect Fuel.” Commuter Cars. 7 March 2007
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Hydrogen Power as a Fuel Source It is no secret that the Gulf war was fought for superiority of the vast oil reserves in the Arab regions. This point to the fact that the superpowers are experiencing a severe shortage of fuel for its un-satiated energy needs. While the advanced nations in the world are the biggest consumers of fuel, their fuel production capacities are very limited or almost non-existent. Scientists predict that the world's oil reserves will not last for long and we need to find out alternative forms of fuel for our ever growing fuel needs.... [tags: Alternative Fuel Oil Hydrogen Essays]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- Hydrogen as an Alternative Fuel What is Hydrogen. The simplest and lightest fuel is hydrogen gas (H2). Hydrogen is in a gaseous state at atmospheric pressure and ambient temperatures. Hydrogen is being explored for use in combustion engines and fuel cell electric vehicles. On a volumetric basis, the energy density of hydrogen is very low under ambient conditions. This presents greater transportation and storage hurdles than for liquid fuels. Storage systems being developed include compressed hydrogen, liquid hydrogen, and physical or chemical bonding between hydrogen and a storage material (for example, metal hydrides).The ability to create hydrogen from a variety... [tags: Energy Power Papers]
1513 words (4.3 pages)
- People today are always complaining about something, and one popular topic is gasoline prices. The older generations reminisce about a time when gasoline could be bought for a quarter a gallon; a big difference compared to the three to four dollars being paid today. It does not help matters that America depends so heavily on foreign countries for our gasoline supply.1 And with the conflict in the Middle East, gasoline prices are as uncertain as ever; the prices rise and fall at the drop of a hat now-a-days.... [tags: Alternative Energy]
1535 words (4.4 pages)
- ... Gasoline is a fossil fuel, meaning that once we use all of what we have, there will be no more. Not only that, but when we use gasoline in internal combustion engines, it releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere wouldn’t really be a big issue, we have trees, and trees breathe in the harmful gas and release breathable oxygen. The only problem is that lately we have been cutting down many of our trees and at the same time producing carbon dioxide at rates the trees can’t keep up with.... [tags: alternative sources of fuel]
642 words (1.8 pages)
- As time goes on, technological advances require more efficient sources of power. At the forefront of research for these power sources are hydrogen fuel cells. This power source takes in the most abundant element in the universe, Hydrogen, and yields immense power without combustion or pollution. The three aspects of this scientific breakthrough are the fuel cells, hydrogen production, and hydrogen storage. Fuel cells are the devices with which Hydrogen is made into electricity. These use a technology much similar to that of something we are very familiar with: the battery.... [tags: Informational Alternative Power Source Hydrogen]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- Hydrogen as an Alternative Fuel Source for Automobiles and other Vehicles Hydrogen is the simplest and most abundant element in the world, and is also the fuel used by most stars to stay alive for billions of years. So it only makes sense that this element should be the next place we look when searching for an alternate fuel source to gasoline and diesel fuel. It has already been used by NASA as a fuel source for space flight since the 1950s, and though still in its infancy, is now being produced with the intention to be used in fuel cell vehicles, buses, production vehicles, and even for stationary uses like generators.... [tags: Petroleum, Internal combustion engine, Fuel cell]
1037 words (3 pages)
- Hydrogen can be "packaged" in several ways, as a fuel gas in a H2/02 powered engine or the newly devised solid state pellet of hydrogen isotopes that contains about the equivalent of 5000 cubic feet of hydrogen and is broken down and releases gas into the second chamber where it goes to the engine for use. There are many ways to get pure hydrogen out of many compounds using methods such as electrolysis and chemical reactions. One of the easiest ways is using a chemical reaction. Simple chemicals (aluminum,sodium hydroxide, and water) can be reacted in the home to produce heavy hydrogen to power your furnace or your hot water heater .... [tags: Hydrogen Fuel H2/02]
429 words (1.2 pages)
- Since the human were created, they have always been depending on an external energy source. Before the use of fossil fuel was discovered, people used the sun as their main external energy source. The sun provides heat, light, and photosynthesis for food that the humans and animals need to make their work energy. And it also affects wind and water motion that the humans also use to make power to do heavy work. When the use of fossil fuels was discovered, it enabled the industrial revolution to begin in the early 19th century.... [tags: Hydrogen, An Energy Resource]
2624 words (7.5 pages)
- Cars are a necessity in most parts of the world. People use them to travel and transport various goods from place to place but like most things cars have a dark side. They require a form of fuel to run. Today most cars run using gasoline or diesel, both petroleum based products. These fuels are awesome and have helped push society and provided a relatively inexpensive way to fuel vehicles without many of the side effects that come up when trying to find a good fuel source. However they do have some major issues that trouble many people.... [tags: Fuel Cells, Alternative Resources]
1163 words (3.3 pages)
- The world is developing at a faster rate than ever before. As a result natural resources continue to be exhausted worldwide. Oil, once an abundant resource in the earth, is depleting at an ever growing rate. Oil costs continue to rise as the world depends on it more and more. Governments are investing billions of dollars every year into alternate energy research with hydrogen as the front runner. This is free money companies are receiving to research and develop hydrogen-powered vehicles. It's no wonder why people are lured into the hydrogen revolution.... [tags: Alternative Fuel Power Energy]
1057 words (3 pages)