In a world that has given us such horrific criminals such as Charles Manson, Jack the Ripper, and Ed Gein, there is one case that still plagues citizens. Between the late 1960s and the early 70s, San Francisco citizens found themselves in a state of panic. A serial killer was on the loose. Known for murdering female, and young couples, the Zodiac Killer claimed the lives of at least seven victims. In the process, the Zodiac sent in letters to the local newspaper about the murders. The case became so popular that it ultimately spawned two books by crime author Robert Graysmith. The first novel entitled Zodiac (1986), the other Zodiac: The Identity of America’s Most Elusive Serial Killer (2002). The former of the two ended up being adapted into the 2007 film Zodiac, directed by David Fincher and starred Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey, Jr. The case of the Zodiac Killer is one that’s left a major mark in history and still remains a mystery today.
“Famous for peach, love, and tie-dye, San Francisco in the late 1960 was also the setting for one of the creepiest real-life murder mysteries in history” (Campbell 45). On a late October night, the Zodiac claimed his first victim. Cheri Jo Bates was found murdered outside of her college library, “There were reports of a white male driving old car in the area at the time of the murder and police found a man's watch at the scene” (Biography.com). The California town was left in pure shock. Following the murder, the killer sent letters to authorities as well as newspapers and other media sources, and the victim’s. One letter in particular was the most chilling that would leave anyone at a loss for words, “’Bates had to die. There will be more’” (Biography.com). As if the murder itself wa...
... middle of paper ...
...still affects many today.
Campbell, MacGregor. “Uncrackable codes: Who was the Zodiac killer?” New Scientist. 218.2813. 21 May 2011. Web. 27 November 2013.
"Zodiac Killer." 2013. The Biography Channel website. 27 November 2013. http://www.biography.com/people/zodiac-killer-236027.
“The Zodiac Killer.” Wark, Jake. Trutv.com. nd. Web. 27 November 2013. http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/notorious/zodiac/river_1.html
“Zodiac Case Dealt Harsh Blow by Fraudulent Doc Examiner.” Winnsome. Ireport.cnn.com. 24 February 2012. Web. 1 December 2013. http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-753342
“Zodiac killer’s identity revealed by newly-discovered evidence in cold case?” Lane, Edward. Examiner.com. 2010. Web. 27 November 2013. http://www.examiner.com/article/zodiac-killer-s-identity-revealed-by-newly-discovered-evidence-cold-case
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Aquarius: They are Revenge killers Identity thieves Copyright thieves. They Lie say everything is new and take everything. They can use both air signs Libra and Gemini and say they are good while they act like a Gemini and say they did it first when they know Gemini said they did not do it first. Pisces: These people are Mutable signs they mute themselves or other and kill or steal from them. Gold digger or other befriend and steal scams. They say they own everything and if you say they don 't they want to come back and say yes they do.... [tags: Zodiac, Astrological sign, Domicile]
1050 words (3 pages)
- The zodiac calendar is an astrological theory that divides the path that the sun seems to follow around the earth into twelve equal sections, each of which are associated with a sign, a symbol and a personality type. John Gardner embraces this astrological theme in his parallel novel, Grendel, by connecting each of the twelve chapters to its coinciding zodiac. Grendel’s astrological journey starts out with Aires. The beginning of this new Zodiac cycle disturbs Grendel because of how cyclical. Aires’s symbol, the ram, disgusts Grendel because it repeats the same motions that it had repetition without even realizing that fate is repeating itself.... [tags: Astrology, Zodiac Calendar]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- Zodiac Astrology Zodiac signs are based off the astrological constellations that are divided into twelve sections. Each sign has its own special meaning according to what constellation a birthday falls on, and all have names. The names of the Zodiacs are Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Capricorn, Leo, Libra, Virgo, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Pisces, and Aquarius. Each of these signs has an element, in example: Earth, Water, Fire, and Air. The Earth signs are Capricorn, Taurus, and Virgo. The Water signs are Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces.... [tags: Zodiac, Astrological sign, Western astrology]
914 words (2.6 pages)
- The starry night sky is a vast and beautiful realm that appears every night. It has fascinated humanity since the dawn of time. Coupled with our wonderful gifts of creativity and imagination, the night sky was our ultimate canvas and perhaps the oldest storybook. The sky has provided a place for us to draw mythical creatures and commemorate epic heroes. Our first record of the constellations date to approximately 6000 years old and were written in cuneiform (Coder, 2012). These texts were found in the valley of the Euphrates River and are simple constellations of animals (Coder, 2012).... [tags: Constellations, The Greek Zodiac]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- What do you know about astrology and the zodiac signs. Astrology is like a good mystery, because you find out things that are true about yourself. It also helps you understand yourself better, and understand other people as well. There are twelve zodiacs signs. This paper is about three of the twelve Zodiac Signs though, one is mine and the other ones are my friends zodiac signs, I’m going to tell you about my zodiac sign first. Though February 20 and March 20 are Pisces date rage. Pisces strengths are Compassionate, Adaptable, Accepting, Devoting, and Imaginative and there weaknesses is oversensitive, indecisive, self-pitying, lazy, and escapist.... [tags: Zodiac, Astrological sign, Pisces]
1135 words (3.2 pages)
- The Zodiac Killer Project The crime spree murders of the Zodiac killer is one of the greatest unsolved murdered cases of all time. The Zodiac’s murders took place from later 1960s, through to about 1972. Most of The Zodiac’s murders took place in Northern California. Some main areas where murders took place are Benicia, Vallejo, Lake Berryessa, and San Francisco, California. Two out of the four men that were attacked lived and three women out of the three were killed. The ages of the victims goes from 16 up to about 29 years of age.... [tags: Crime, Mirder, Unsolved Murder, Zodiac]
2085 words (6 pages)
- In the San Francisco Bay area, as well as in the rest of California, the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s was a time of terror and fear. What started out as a seemingly random, but brutal murder on the night of October 30th, 1966, turned out to be the start of a series of horrific murders that would span 2,500 suspects, 56 possible victims, and over 400 miles. On the calm, cool night of December 20th, 1968, a young seventeen year-old named David Arthur Faraday was getting ready to take a young sixteen year-old named Betty Lou Jensen on her first date.... [tags: Zodiac Killer History Historical Essays]
2810 words (8 pages)
- History of the Hunt Family The history of Hunt family provides remarkable examples of both strengths and weaknesses of family business model. Sheer size of the company, characters of great egos and controversial political views always brought a lot of public attention to Hunt family. Yet the most interesting aspect, which will be investigated in this paper, is the interdependence of family and business dynamics. Based on the history of two branches of Hunt family, it will be demonstrated how changes within family can both ruin or foster business.... [tags: business model, hunt oil company]
1333 words (3.8 pages)
- Witches the supernatural of the world, the coming out of Katherine Branch and her episodes. When really it’s just crazy young orphan girl wanting attention from her owners. That was the reality of the book, it stated of really well, the excitement the realistic acts, then the lies came down clashing. She couldn’t keep up with the names; she couldn’t keep up with the lies. I didn’t like the book; I enjoyed the beginning, first chapter, when the episodes I was reading where realistic. They came together, pieces where slightly going together going with her allegations.... [tags: Salem witch trials, Witchcraft, Witch-hunt]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- The forest, for the moment, is calm and frigid. The glowing orange sun gently caresses the horizon. The air is crisp and the wind blows softly. Chilled morning dew slowly seeps down into the soft dirt. Smells of crumpled leaves permeate the air. Birds leisurely rise from their nests. A flap of the wings, a quick shake and they’re off. Tweeting harmoniously, the early birds cast their wondrous melodies through the icy morning breeze. Squirrels race from tree to tree in search of acorns for the coming wintery season.... [tags: Hunter, Everest, Short Story]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- Globalization and Redundancy of International Marketing
- Into The Wild, When I Woke Up On Tuesday Morning, It Was Friday, and Another Look Back, And A Look Ahead
- Teaching Conditional Sentence to Foreign Language Learners
- Biography of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Feminism and how it enriches our IR theory
- Workplace Violence