Human trafficking, a form of modern day slavery, affects more people than you could imagine. The United States is known for freedom, human rights, and the pursuit of happiness; however, there are many victims of human trafficking that have been stripped of their rights and freedoms. The Victims of Trafficking andViolence Protection Act (VTVPA) of 2000 defines human trafficking as, the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjection to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery (Kotrola 8). Human trafficking is a devastating issue many Americans have problems addressing; however, there are some great ways to prevent human trafficking, such as raising awareness of human trafficking and the affects victims face, improving law enforcements training, and aiding individuals in the fight against human trafficking.
Human trafficking is a global issue, but the United States has a heavy concentration of illegal human trafficking compared to the European Union (Wooditch 244). The United States has many hubs for concentrated human trafficking such as sporting events, air ports, and many major metro areas. Bob Goodlatte, a republican representative from Virginia stated, “It 's estimated that child sex trafficking in the United States alone is a $9.8 billion industry"(Kessler n. pg). The United States is one of the top 10 places for Human Trafficking around the globe (Hepburn 3).
There is a negative stigma with victims of human trafficking, and they are often condemned for their involvement in the taboo industry. For instance, in Pell City, Alabama there is a commu...
... middle of paper ...
... industry have been rescued from an impoverished life; furthermore, allowing them to achieve things they may not have been able to do without being involved in the sex industry. After being rescued by a despicable industry, victims often are primed to be accepting of the heinous treatment they receive.
Human trafficking, a devastating crime against humanity, can be prevented with awareness, law enforcement improvements, and victim recovery. The solution to human trafficking starts with every individual and then branches out to the community. Every individual should be aware of their surrounding and be a helping hand to those who may be affected by human trafficking. In America there is no reason for any individual to have their basic human rights taken away by another individual; therefore, be the difference in someone’s life and stand up for what is right.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Asia, United States, and Europe all have a wide range of victims in Human Trafficking. Europe is the destination for victims from the widest choice of destinations, while victims from Asia are trafficked to the widest choice of destinations. The United State hast both the origin and destination of victims of human trafficking. The article Human Trafficking states, “Trafficking is a big business controlled by organized crime.” (Feingold). Because it is an illegal business the United States provides protection and help to victims in human trafficking.... [tags: Human trafficking, Slavery, Prostitution]
1473 words (4.2 pages)
- The “Land of the free” is not so free after all. Human trafficking is the third largest international crime industry after illegal drugs and arms trafficking . Human trafficking is like modern day slavery; it is defined as the loss of freedom to another 's control by force, fraud or coercion. The United States turns out to be the #1 destination for child sex trafficking. I chose this topic because it interested me the most out of all other topics. When finding a topic to do research on, none of the topics left me asking myself so many questions.... [tags: Human trafficking, Slavery, Sexual slavery, Rape]
1652 words (4.7 pages)
- On October 6, 2016 “Carl Ferrer, chief executive of advertising website Backpage.com, was arrested on Thursday on criminal charges, including pimping, as authorities investigate the company which has been accused of facilitating sex trafficking of minors” (Levine, 2016). Carl Ferrer, who is 55 and was charged with the exploitation of minors in sex trafficking, prostitution, and pimping by soliciting a customer-base audience who were able to profit off of the sex scandal of minors. Two founders of Backpage.com were also apprehended as part of the three-year investigation.... [tags: Human trafficking, Prostitution, Human sexuality]
824 words (2.4 pages)
- Raising awareness about human trafficking to try and prevent more people from being abducted has become increasingly popular. Organizations, such as Stop the Traffik, are solely focused on raising awareness about human trafficking as well as teaching communities about how it can be prevented (Aronowitz, 2013). These organizations create campaigns to inform the individuals about how to identify a trafficker. Also, the campaigns against human trafficking discuss how traffickers lie to victims to get them to come with them, mainly by seducing them.... [tags: stop the traffick, organizations]
997 words (2.8 pages)
- Human rights is a set of rights that applies to all human beings this includes men, women and all children despite race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, political stance, and etc. Eleanor Roosevelt was one out of the many large advocates of human rights. She says, “Basically we could not have peace, or an atmosphere in which peace could grow, unless we recognized the rights of individual human beings... their importance, their dignity... and agreed that was the basic thing that had to be accepted throughout the world.” (Do One Thing.org) Despite our natural rights as humans we still face problems.... [tags: Human rights, Human]
1035 words (3 pages)
- Some people say that ignorance is bliss. What they do not know cannot hurt them. Little do they know, these problems they choose not to think about are hurting others- others who cannot ignore it, but who are the victims. Would you believe me if I told you that human trafficking is one of the fastest growing crimes in world (Human Trafficking). Slavery and Human Trafficking has gone on since ancient times, from the slaves in ancient Greece and Rome, the discrimination that led to slavery in small European port towns in medieval times, to the Native and African Americans being enslaved in the New World.... [tags: class, power, attica, minorities, jews]
1747 words (5 pages)
- There are many human rights being violated in China. Throughout these years citizens of China have been forced to have abortion, denied freedom of religion and sold children into slavery. There is no way of changing the grave effects of the people in China. Equality should be greatly enforced. In China if families have too many children they are forced to have abortions. Women are drugged and put out of their misery in order to give up their baby. The government’s punishment to these women is horrid, traumatizing and no girl should be forced to go through this.... [tags: Human Rights Violations, Abortions]
1118 words (3.2 pages)
- Child Labor In the world today, there are many different types of illegal human trafficking. Some examples are sex trafficking, mail-order brides, and child labor. Child labor is when any children under the age of 18 are coerced into labor by an employer, regardless of physical restraints. This horrendous crime of forcing kids to work can happen anywhere in the world, from Asia, to Africa, even to America. The circumstances under which they are used for are cruel; majority of the victims had been given away by their parents, not kidnapped by traffickers.... [tags: Slavery, Human trafficking, Childhood, Labor]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- In today’s world, poverty has become an unwanted normal for hundreds of families all over the globe. Families in poverty have higher chances of being tricked into the human trafficking business, along with other reasons, because the parents and themselves will take any steps to put enough money together for their family to survive. The families can be in dozens of different situations. Nok needed to build up enough money to cover the bills. Nin was told she was going to work at the city of her dreams.... [tags: Human trafficking, Slavery, Prostitution]
1061 words (3 pages)
- The trafficking or smuggling of humans is not only a national problem, but a global problem as well. Unfortunately, human trafficking has failed to receive the attention it deserves – allowing it to thrive as a lucrative business nationally and internationally. Most importantly, it is thriving in neighborhoods and communities where residents are unaware of its existence. If the time is taken to inform residents about this problem locally and nationally, the community will become vigilant and be able to identify, and form support and rescue networks for trafficked victims who are hidden in plain sight.... [tags: Human trafficking, Smuggling, Slavery]
1517 words (4.3 pages)
- Analysis Of Ticketmaster 's Move Toward Greater Transparency
- Americ Cultural Contexts For Critical Thinking And Writing
- Structure, Function And Functions Of The Circulatory System
- The Tempest By William Shakespeare
- Social And Social Impact On Society
- Science Of The Future : Frankenstein 's Cat, By Emily Anthes