Essay PreviewMore ↓
My main problem was the structure of the essay. Even though I have made progress I still think I'm not where I want to be. If you read my personal narrative essay, which is in my portfolio, you would know what I'm talking about. It is like I'm telling a story step by step without mentioning the important details of the story. However, this was my first draft of my first essay, so I expected it to be that bad. However, I'm getting better and better with each essay I write, so I think I will get where I want to be in the near future.
One of the things that really helped me with essay structure was writing multiple drafts. this process has helped me test my ideas and sometimes reject them. For instance, in the argument paper, the topic was "Should women drive in Saudi Arabia",and, after submitting the first draft, my instructor commented that I need more details and some sentences need to be fixed, so after revising I have realized that I failed to mention one of the important arguments the other side would argue about, so in the second draft, I added this argument "The constitution in Saudi Arabia is taken from Quran and Sunnah. Every law they make is based on what Quran says. When you come the subject of driving of women and look it up in Quran, you wouldn't find anything that says it is forbidden. Therefore, the Saudi government cannot ban women any longer as it is not based on Quran, therefore, "The constitution". As you can see, this paragraph was very necessary to the essay. Before this class, I would just write one draft and submit it without revising or editing, which was the reason that I had low grades.
Another thing that I have learned in this class, and was very helpful, was getting someone's opinion.
How to Cite this Page
"How to Write a Good Essay." 123HelpMe.com. 04 Dec 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A Research Paper is a type of academic writing that needs more theoretical, significant and methodical level of question. Although a research paper is a kind of term paper, some term papers don’t require academic research. Not all research papers can be considered as term papers. An objective of writing a research paper is to allow people to read the work selectively. In order to make an impression over the reader, in other words to make a paper readable following some points should be noted: Print or type using a 12 point standard font, such as Times, Geneva, Bookman, Helvetica, etc.... [tags: Instructional Essay, Process Essay, How To Essay]
1050 words (3 pages)
- Process Essay - How to Write a Good Essay I present the following; boiled down into the form of a list it may be easily understood by all teachers of writing, even those whose first name is for all intents and purposes "Coach." 1. Get a sheet of paper. This law is thought by some to have been superceded by the advent of computer technology. However, it is still an important first step in that it leads to the following: 2. Sit at a desk with the paper on it, scribbling senseless doodles, silly faces, and, if you are so inclined, the name of an object of affection surrounded by hearts, flowers, and, again if you are so inclined, barbed wire.... [tags: Process Essays]
500 words (1.4 pages)
- Good Business Writing As the discussion of good writing evolved in class, I began to wonder what made good business writing. I thought about the purpose in writing both within a particular company and between different companies and organizations. I decided that most writing in business is meant to be either informative, persuasive, or a combination of both. Whether informative or persuasive in nature, I have decided that most good business writing is very similar to other good writing. I have chosen to focus on three elements that contribute to good usage in business.... [tags: Education Educating Write Essays]
1228 words (3.5 pages)
- Find a subject you care about and which you in your heart feel others should care about. It is this genuine caring, not your games with language, which will be the most compelling and seductive element in your style. -- Kurt Vonnegut Learning how to write an essay can be a maddening, exasperating process, but it doesn't have to be. If you know the steps and understand what to do, writing can be easy and even fun. Below are brief summaries of each of the ten steps to writing an essay. 1. Research: Begin the essay writing process by researching your topic, making yourself an expert.... [tags: Writing an Essay]
701 words (2 pages)
- ... I wonder why it is the only subject that am not doing well or advancing. It is hard to concede that I cannot make any amelioration and that it is too late to reverse work that is already done. The thought of writing English papers is very daunting and prompts me ruminate that I might never be a good writer. I hear these two voices inside of me: one says that I can still put in some extra effort that might change my grade, but I have limited time remaining and there is only a few more papers to write.... [tags: personal reflection]
571 words (1.6 pages)
- What to Write. Do you recall the last 500-word essay you had to write. Or perhaps the last 500- word essay you had to read. As a teacher, Paul Roberts spent a large portion of his time reading 500-word essays. Paul Roberts found these compositions were uninspired, and done in the last possible minute. Paul Roberts wrote three books to aid you in becoming better writer. “How to Say Nothing in 500 Words” comes from Roberts’ best-known book, Understanding English. “How to Say Nothing in 500 Words” aids you by suggesting what not to say.... [tags: essays research papers]
758 words (2.2 pages)
- Having to Write with Whipped Cream Our assignment was to write twenty words without using any kind of writing utensil that we would normally use such as pencils, markers, etc. When Professor Krause first gave this assignment I thought to myself “is he insane. How are we going to do this?” The more and more I thought about it ideas kept popping up in my head. I tried to think about all the readings we had done in class, hoping that they would kind of guide me in the proper direction for this paper.... [tags: Food Writing Nature Writers Essays]
1217 words (3.5 pages)
- Process Essay - How to Write an Essay Writing a college essay can be a very difficult task. However, there are techniques to help make this task easier. The writing process is a three stage approach to planning and creating a college essay. These stages are known as prewriting, writing, and revising. If a student follows this process, she will write a good paper. The first stage of the writing process is called prewriting. There are five prewriting techniques that help writers to understand the topic and purpose of the writing assignment and limit the topic to a manageable and appropriate idea.... [tags: Process Essays]
657 words (1.9 pages)
- How to Write an Essay What is the point of the paper?To see if you can write at length about some topic, in a focused and sustained way. Focused -- not rambling disconnectedly on "everything I know about X", but discussing a specific topic or cluster of interrelated topics in an integrated way. Sustained -- following through some clear line(s) of argument in some depth (e.g. discussing not just objections but objections to the objections). That still leaves options. You may go 'vertically' and dig more deeply into one particular issue; or you may go 'horizontally' and be concerned to make connections, and show how different parts of the philosophical landscape fit together -- or a... [tags: essays research papers]
1956 words (5.6 pages)
- A studious young man, an open book these two images swirl around the screen in a kaleidoscope effect, this was the introductory scene of "Good Will Hunting." This scene is followed by Ben Afflick, knocking on Will's door, when Will comes out a credit rolls by that says, "screenplay written by Ben Afflick and Matt Damon," just as the two walk side by side. This shows how perfectly the makers of this movie have everything timed, down to the credits. Also, the timing shows when the professor's assistant and Will are alone and the assistant tells Will how lucky he is to have someone believe in him as the professor does.... [tags: Film Analysis, Good Will Hunting]
988 words (2.8 pages)
My favorite assignments was the PSA ,because it was something I have never done before. PSA stands for Public Service Announcement, which is to create an Ad and write a slogan, and it has to be related to the argument paper. Upon creating your PSA you have to know who is your audience, what is the main message you want to convey, and what is the call to action. This assignment was perfect for me, because I'm good at using photoshop, and the topic was easy, which was "Should women drive in Saudi Arabia", so I got very creative and designed a picture with a women driving a car, and I wrote a slogan saying "Islam does not forbid it, why do you". The message was to those who are against the driving of women.
In summary, before this class I was a terrible writer. I would just write without paying attention to how my essay is going to be viewed by others. I did not care whether the essay would make sense to the reader or not. Taking WRD 102 has helped me overcome every obstacle I had. Now I can deliver my opinion to the reader and explain it and even argue with what would the opposite side think.