HTML & CSS
To build a webpage you are going to need a few things
• A text editor such as programs called Notepad++, Sublime text, Microsoft’s Visual Studio or ever just the notepad program that comes in Windows
• A web browser like Google Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer
For this tutorial you do not need any experience in HTML, CSS or any other web development experience.
HTML stands for Hyper Text Mark-Up and is a scripting language used to make webpages. CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheet and works alongside HTML to style the website, I will talk about CSS later on in this tutorial.
Making a Website
First open the text editor you have chosen, in this tutorial I will be using Sublime text. Highlight and copy and paste the code below into the text editor I shall explain what’s happing within this shortly.
Next create a folder on your desktop, I called this ‘Tutorial’, now save this as ‘index.html’ and then right click and open this in the browser you have chosen. It should look like this.
Congratulations you have now made your first webpage.
What’s going on
In this section I will go back through the code you have just added and explain what it does as well as the basics.
Every element within HTML uses tags, as you can see the code sample code I have provided, uses a head tag, link tag, title tag, body tag, h1 tag and a p tag.
This tag is declaring the document is using the HTML language; this isn’t always necessary but is good practice to add it in to your page.
... middle of paper ...
When using a style sheet it is important to remember that style sheets cascade, this means the style sheet you use can be overridden by and other style sheet or an inline style, an example of this is Bootstrap. Bootstrap is a CSS framework which essentially have styles, to make nice looking website, out the box. Bootstrap is linked to the document the same as a normal style sheet however it is vital to list bootstrap first because if you wanted to edit any styles they will be overridden as the web browser will always prioritise the most recent styles sheet and will cascade down the document and see that the last style sheet linked is the most recent styles.
Ed Tittle, Jeff Noble (2011). HTML, XHTML & CSS for Dummies. US: Wiley Publishing. 1-392.
http://www.w3schools.com visited 27th May 2014
http://stackoverflow.com/ Visited 29th May 2014
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- According to Eccher (2015, p. 169), before a designer begins to build a website, he/she must understand the infrastructure of a web page. As affirmed, a good website is aesthetically pleasing, is usable, and is functional. Web designers seek to have a mortised website. Having a good layout where content is easy to find and to follow achieves the usability aspect of web design. To achieve functionality and aesthetics, one needs good content layout. There exist two types of website design layouts: fixed layout and fluid layout.... [tags: Web browser, World Wide Web, Web page, Web design]
889 words (2.5 pages)
- 1. Introduction Almost 42% of the world 's population has access to the internet. Also, more than 3 billion people around the world now use the Internet via a variety of different devices. In today’s world, for almost every business, it is essential to have a website which serves as an information gateway for customers or visitors to gain insights into the business. Also, the most of Business owners focus on their websites to attract more customers or visitors. Thus, the web analysts start to collect and analyze web data to understand more about customer’s behavior, web traffic, and usage to improve websites to meet customer 's needs and owner 's goal.... [tags: World Wide Web, Web design, Web page]
1771 words (5.1 pages)
- “Web Analytics is the measurement, collection, analysis and reporting of web data for purposes of understanding and optimizing the web usage.” Generally, it studies the impact of a website on its users. For this, web analytics software is often used to measure the details such as how many people visited the website, how many of the visitors were unique visitors, whether they came directly to the website or followed some link, what keywords they searched with on the search engine, how long they stayed on the website or a particular webpage, what links they clicked and when they left.... [tags: Web page, World Wide Web, Cache, Web server]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- First thing we do every morning is check our smart phone for new tweets, funny pictures or videos or new posts from our friends and family. According to statista.com the number of smartphone users around the world in 2015 was around 1859 million users. In addition, the number will increase every year as shown in the following figure. In other words, we can say that we are breathing Internet every day and with the use of smartphones, the Internet became available most of the time. Therefore, the Internet becomes an important tool for many businesses, organizations and scientists around the globe.... [tags: World Wide Web, Website, Web page, Internet]
1039 words (3 pages)
- Web Analytics can broadly be classified as the process of tracking, measuring, collecting, analyzing and reporting the internet data of website visitors’ activity for the purpose of understanding and optimizing web usage and how websites are used by its users. Web Analytics is not only used for analyzing the data usage on websites but are also widely used to monitor website traffic, to optimize an organization e-commerce initiatives, Digital Marketing, Advertising (through web campaigns), Customer Surveys, Referral programs, Click streams, etc.... [tags: World Wide Web, Internet, Web page, Google]
1100 words (3.1 pages)
- According to Eccher (2015, p.7), there exist three web-design philosophies as it relates to the functionality of a website: usability, multimedia, and mortised. Usability refers to the ease to which a user is able to navigate a website, find information, process requests, and/or perform certain functions. Multimedia defines how effective websites uses animation, audio, video, and graphics to communicate its message to users (Eccher, 2015, p. 12). A mortised website combines the best of both worlds by presenting a website that is not only usable to its target audience, but has is aesthetically pleasing through the use of multimedia.... [tags: Web browser, World Wide Web, Website, Web page]
915 words (2.6 pages)
- Web analytics is collection of web data to understand and optimize web usage by Analyzing and reporting the web data. It helps us study how much impact the website has on its users and thus helps optimize the website based on the results of web analysis. Web analytics helps us know critical information about our website like how many visitors who visited our website, Bounce rate (the number of visitors visited the website and exited rather than going to another page), unique visitors, time they were on the site, Links that brought them to the site, which keywords get traffic to the site.... [tags: World Wide Web, Web page, Cache, Web browser]
836 words (2.4 pages)
- There are many different types of web design, from those built using website templates and 'build your own ' site building applications to complex content managed and e-commerce web designs such as those used by big brand names like Amazon, eBay and Tesco. Some companies, even some big name companies, have unprofessional looking and badly designed websites. Some have amazing looking websites but because of their high graphical content and minimal text content can take an age to load, are not user friendly and do not provide what the visitor wants.... [tags: World Wide Web, Web design, Internet, Website]
1479 words (4.2 pages)
- The Creation of a Web Page for Fernwood Gardens Introduction Fernwood Gardens is the only garden venue in England with a 40- and a 60-feet high translucent sky dome, allowing couples-to-be to have their dream garden wedding without the hassle of bad weather. It also has rainforest type gardens with lagoons, waterfalls, exotic birds and fishes. What’s more, Fernwood Gardens now has a chapel, the St. Francis of Assisi Nature Chapel, where couples-to-be can hold their wedding program or ceremony.... [tags: Papers]
638 words (1.8 pages)
- Primus Web Site Design The goals of the Primus Web site are to retain existing customers, draw new ones and lower Primus' customer support costs. To meet these goals the Web site is being designed around a multi-point value package, described below. Value Package The components of the value offering are: 1) Stress-free experience for site visitors and customers 2) Professional quality research 3) Readily available quotes, available via a variety of media 4) Tools to allow customers to manage their portfolios 5) Customized advisory services 6) Online investment "workshop" experiences Service Selection Process During the previous three quarters Primus selected service offerings based on avail... [tags: Web Design]
1338 words (3.8 pages)