“We all have the chance to create a world where extreme poverty is the exception rather than the rule, and where all children have the same chance to thrive, no matter where they’re born” (Guacci).
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation started in 1997 when the Gates family read an article about the millions of children in poor countries who were dying from disease. They have been working to reduce poverty and poor health throughout the world ever since as well as create a better world for both future and present generations. The Gates Foundation is one of the few truly transparent organizations in the world where no money is going into the pockets of the founders. The two founders of the foundation are Bill Gates, who is the co-chair and a trustee, and his wife Melinda Gates, who is also, serves as co-chair and trustee. Other trustees are Warren Buffet and William Gates Sr. Several others work for the organization as both permanent staff and volunteers. We will be looking at their areas of focus, strategies, and main goals. We will also review how they give out grants and their overall effectiveness ("Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.").
The Gates foundation focuses mostly on trying to decrease poverty and improve health in developing countries as well as address the failures of the American education system. They have many strategies for reducing global poverty and an overarching goal to digitally connect people. This essay reviews their work in global poverty reduction ("Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.").
As an organization they believe that they can accomplish more by looking at fewer issues rather than being overwhelmed with multiple problems, which is why they largely focus...
... middle of paper ...
...e where we want it to be today, with all the starvation and poverty it is almost unbearable to look at the facts. The Gates Foundation is trying to change that. Poverty is something that may take many years to overcome but with the Gates Foundation in the lead I am confident that we can succeed.
Works cited page
Guacci, Julie. "6 Gates Foundation End of Poverty Quotes - The Borgen Project."The Borgen Project RSS2. N.p., 26 Feb. 2014. Web. 07 May 2014.
"Bill Nye, Science Guy, Dispels Poverty Myths #StopTheMyth." YouTube. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 May 2014.
"3 Myths That Block Progress For The Poor by Bill and Melinda Gates:." 2014 Gates Annual Letter: Myths About Foreign Aid. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 May 2014.
"The Gates Foundation: Helping NGOs at the Front Line." Theguardian.com. Guardian News and Media, 07 Oct. 2013. Web. 26 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation – A Tradition of Giving Both the Gates and French families instilled the values of volunteerism and civic engagement. Our families believed that if life happens to bless you, you should use those gifts as well and as wisely as you can. ¬– Bill and Melinda Gates In 2000, the founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, and his wife, Melinda French Gates, founded the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation also known as the Gates Foundation. The Gates Foundation has a diverse global presence with its headquarters in Seattle, Washington and other offices in India, China, Europe, Middle East, and several regions in Africa (Foundation fact sheet, 2015, para.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1114 words (3.2 pages)
- ... Its three main areas: • Teaching. The foundation supports hard work to fair and thorough teacher comment with the goal of identifying areas in need of improvement as well as areas of success. • Learning. Gates takes the goal of the common basic to become part of the form of schools in the United States. The foundation supports classroom material development and achievement that not only increase the students learning and understanding the abstractions , but also those that help teachers and students work together to ease critical thinking skills .... [tags: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Bill Gates]
1687 words (4.8 pages)
- ... Finding new and innovative ways to improve the school system is beneficial to the country as a whole, even if it only starts with a small group. Even if their system doesn 't work for every school, it 's worth a try to encourage others to be open to new ideas for improvement. Helping impoverished families and improving school districts that lack the funding to do it themselves, gives renewed life to the community as a whole. The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation wants to empower future generations, and it 's so important to the future of our country that they are all given the chance to succeed at life.... [tags: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Bill Gates]
829 words (2.4 pages)
- Joel Dinerstein, a professor at Tulane University, along with Frank Goodyear, a photographer scholar, shaped the “American Cool” exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery in the nation’s capital. They selected 100 coolest Americans based on original artistic vision, cultural rebellion, iconic power, and a recognized cultural legacy. However, they seem to have forgotten the founder of Microsoft. William Henry Gates III is widely known not only for his influence in the modern world as one of the founders of Microsoft, but also for his iconic contributions towards philanthropic causes, and for his legacy on the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1100 words (3.1 pages)
- What is a hero. Do they put the bad guys in jail and make the community a better place. There are many ways to define what a hero is and who is worthy to be called a hero. Bill Gates is an international hero. Son of a successful lawyer, and whose mother was a businesswoman, expectations for Bill were surely high. Since the age of 13 he created several programs some that included hacking his school’s computer system, and some for his school, which included one that was able to collect every teacher’s attendance.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- Time’s 100 +1 Most Influential People 2014 was a year of big events, from record breaking events in the Sochi Winter Olympics to the Ebola virus outbreak, 2014 had its ups and downs. Surrounded by these groundbreaking events, Time Magazine compiled the 100 most influential people of the year. Although Time did an impeccable job of composing this list, one man was left off. This man funded the prevention of around 13.6 million deaths, was owner of a foundation that funded over 3.6 billion in scholarships, and donated billions to over 25 charitable foundations.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1349 words (3.9 pages)
- The Microcredit Foundation of India is a non- profit organization, and effective tool for alleviating poverty. The Microcredit Foundation has its base located in southern rural India. Microcredit works with just about everyone who needs their help; however their focus is women. Microcredit presents the women of rural communities with the opportunity to start a business. The services of micro credit are dedicated to creating a better stable economy, opportunities in the establishment of medium sized enterprises, and co-operative development.... [tags: nonprofits, Microcredit Foundation of India, pover]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- ... It was in 1975, when Gates dropped out of Harvard. This was the same year when Bill Gates and Paul Allen co-founded Microsoft. In 1981, Bill Gates’ company was hired to develop an operating system but rather than creating a new operating system they decided to buy a preexisting operation system called QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System) for the amount of 50,000 dollars. After modifying the operating system they bought, they renamed the operating system to MS-DOS. After MS-DOS began selling it brought in a steady income for Gates due to the fact that the PC market was growing and there weren’t many competitors in the market for them to compete with.... [tags: Bill Gates, Warren Buffett]
817 words (2.3 pages)
- The American dream to many is the social climb of classes and accumulation of wealth. For some it is just maybe getting their dream job or getting into their number one college. Everyone has dreams of what they want to be or do when they are older. Many have no clue if they are making the right decision, but some are so determined that nothing could get into their way. Some people just have dreams of doing something they enjoy but never really imagine it going that far. All major companies started off as ideas that someone had and decided to make it into a reality.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1683 words (4.8 pages)
- Bill Gates People, nowadays, spend many of their time with technology, working or having fun. One of those people who has contributed to technology is Steve Jobs, who created Apple Inc. which revolutionized the computer and mainly tablet industry with its amazing features. As equal as important as Steve Jobs, Marc Andreessen lead the creation of NCSA Mosaic, the web browser that transformed how we think about the World Wide Web. Additional to that, Tim Berners-Lee created the World Wide Web, which changed the way people communicate, work, study, and play.... [tags: microsoft, bill gates, ibm]
659 words (1.9 pages)